Author Topic: Engine paint  (Read 1652 times)

Offline Mister Gumby

Engine paint
« on: September 08, 2013, 08:32:30 pm »
Not sure if this is the right section or not (if not, mods please move it) but what paint are you guys using on your engine cases & jugs? I'm resealing & ringing my 350f along with polishing the side covers (clutch, stator and such) and not sure what paint to use. I'm thinking a silver/aluminum color but not too obnoxious or fake looking. Something along the lines of the original color would be nice. Also, I'm wondering I I should paint the jugs or not, my only concern is hear dissipation as it gets pretty hot in Phoenix. Any input or pictures you might like to offer up would be greatly appreciated
73 350f - daily ridden cafe
74 Norton 850 Commando - work in progress

Offline Davez134

• Expert
Re: Engine paint
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 10:21:13 pm »
I can't help you with the color, as I did mostly wrinkle black on my motor (although I did use "cast aluminum" color for cylinder head, I like it but it does have a slight bit of metal "flake" look for lack of a better word) The brand I used was VHT, following instructions on can exactly and VERY thorough prep. As for painting jugs, I painted mine and I am in Las Vegas where it gets pretty comparable to Phoenix and I have not had any problems with heat that I can quantify. I have been riding it almost daily since completion with no chips or discoloring. I do have some pictures in my project thread in my signature.  I can put up some closer pics if you like?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 10:27:29 pm by Davez134 »

Offline iron_worker

• Master
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 07:44:31 am »
I used Duplicolor engine paint ... Their "Cast Aluminum" color is actually very close to the stock color. I have put 1500+ miles on my rebuild now and I'm not totally happy with the durability of the paint. I will say though, I didn't cure the paint in my oven like the instructions say I was supposed to do... so that may have something to do with it.

I'm considering going back through the motor this winter and powder coating it ... or at least the top end where most of the heat is. The paint on the bottom end cases held up pretty well.

IW

Offline toytuff

• "watching the pinheads"
  • Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 07:47:01 am »
Some options here.

http://marblesmotors.com/index.htm

Here are some pictures of the side cases. I did not paint the barrels.

Easy to apply, dries perfect. Ordering more in the future for my next project. Yes, it's pricey but the results are well worth the money.

tt
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 08:01:28 am by toytuff »

Offline rb550four

• Master
  • I'm nobody's slave and nobody's master
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 09:13:07 pm »
I must say , out of all the heat paint that I've used I like Duplicolor the best, always use a hairdryer when painting, cook it with a hot hairdryer for about 20 mins.after paint has set up, had no problems. It's paint, it either flakes off with poor prep,looks old because of use and age, That's the nature of a cover coat,so don't skip on the prep,put enough paint on it so it will last and look good longer, and a hairdryer to stop drips.
  My favorite color for stock engine is cast aluminum .secondary color choice  aluminum, jugs either cast iron  or semi gloss black. The flat black seems to be the weakest of the duplicolor line and some bar b cue paints will prove to be more durable.
  Painted this last week or so

aluminum with cast iron jugs
  works for me.
A few Honda 500's, a few Honda 550's, a few Honda 650's, '72 cb 450, a couple 500/550/650 hybrids, and 2001 750. 
  550 Snowbike -Somebody had to do it.
  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,101678.0.html             
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,137317.msg1550907.html#msg1550907

Offline Sparked

• Hot Shot
  • Cheaper then therapy
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 09:24:15 pm »
Looks good Rb!
1972 CB350F
1982 CM450A
1961 Ford Falcon (time for four wheels)

Offline puddle pirate

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 10:18:28 am »
I used Eastwood High Temp Aluminum with the activator and although i have not run it yet, the coverage was great and i think it looks pretty good.
JT
75 CB 400F not running
82 GS 650E
If man is not fit to govern himself, who among us is fit to govern someone else?

Offline Mister Gumby

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 08:46:01 pm »
Thanks for the input. I think that the VHT has it for the brand, now it's a question of whether or not to paint the cylinders. Hmmmm.
73 350f - daily ridden cafe
74 Norton 850 Commando - work in progress