Author Topic: 1972 CB750 Four K2 -- Rebuilt to NEW OLD STOCK -- PIX ON PAGE 50  (Read 237032 times)

Offline Davez134

• Expert
Re: 1972 CB750 Four K2 -- Project "Ice Cream"-- SLOW ASSEMBLY
« Reply #850 on: March 12, 2015, 09:50:25 pm »
The brass, rubber and aluminum is all here. Was just about to get it back together, then got stuck here

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,145870.0.html

So shiny! 8) replied to thread in your link.

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
  • Do not cause harm, nor respond to harm with harm.
« Reply #851 on: March 15, 2015, 04:41:15 pm »
Thanks Dave, carbs are on hold again, forgot I need the float height tool before I can put them on the back plate anyway. Silicone grease is used to preserve that rubber grommet, and mineral oil is recommended for the slides, so will be doing that as soon as the tool arrives. Hadn't had much time for anything as the wife isn't feeling too well and work hours just went insane. Hopefully some progress soon, wish I had someone nearby to help button the motor back together. After that I KNOW I'll get it done 10x faster.

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #852 on: March 15, 2015, 05:32:34 pm »
Thanks Dave, carbs are on hold again, forgot I need the float height tool before I can put them on the back plate anyway. Silicone grease is used to preserve that rubber grommet, and mineral oil is recommended for the slides, so will be doing that as soon as the tool arrives. Hadn't had much time for anything as the wife isn't feeling too well and work hours just went insane. Hopefully some progress soon, wish I had someone nearby to help button the motor back together. After that I KNOW I'll get it done 10x faster.
Engines are like Thanksgiving. 3 weeks of prep to 3 hours of feast.  Engines may be worse.

The rep multiple is way more than the assembly. When the time comes, get hold of me, or someone else to talk you through it.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #853 on: March 15, 2015, 09:30:58 pm »
Engines are like Thanksgiving. 3 weeks of prep to 3 hours of feast.  Engines may be worse.

The rep multiple is way more than the assembly. When the time comes, get hold of me, or someone else to talk you through it.
HA! I know the feeling, because I spend those 3 weeks trying to keep the missus calm and assuring her that everything will be just perfect  ;D ;D

I have it all ready, trans is assembled, have all new chains, clutch, rollers, o-rings, bearings, sealers, hondabond etc. ready. Just need to take a day or two off and get to it. Thanks for the offer Ron, I might just take you up on that.

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #854 on: March 22, 2015, 11:23:16 pm »
All new brass and rubber went on the carbs today. Hated touching those polished crowns and bowls but oh well, they aint gonna stay pretty forever. Float height set to 26mm, everything just hand snug, needles on the middle notch, silicone lube on the throttle rods and Singer mineral machine oil on the slides. Clear/Blue zinc is holding up nicely but gets messy too easily.

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #855 on: March 22, 2015, 11:27:11 pm »
Fork lifters got brand new boots.

THEN, the one step back. I had the damned lifter forks installed backwards  :o :o >:( >:( >:( >:(

Funny thing is, no one noticed it because I put the back plate together a while back :o

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #856 on: March 23, 2015, 02:58:50 pm »
Nevermind the above, it was 2:00 AM after a crazy double shifter. Forks are installed correct, I did however botch the position of the choke slide lever on #3 and #4 (Pic 1). Managed to correct that without taking it apart at all. Finished!

Gotta say, after the work that's involved in syncing the throttle and choke slides, people offering rebuild service for these are wayyy too generous.

Offline danyo

• Hot Shot
« Reply #857 on: March 23, 2015, 07:15:48 pm »
Looks gorgeous Rafi !!! Did you rechromed those fork lifters??

Offline tweakin

• tear down
  • Master
« Reply #858 on: March 23, 2015, 07:53:45 pm »
Excellent work Rafi!

Offline Kickstart

• Expert
« Reply #859 on: March 23, 2015, 08:50:54 pm »
Wow.... those carbs looks nice!

Very impressed.

I love this thread.
- Chris
75' CB750F Orange flake (rider)
75' CB750F Blue (Project)
75' CB750F Painted black (Project)
No Reserve Racing #171 AHRMA

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #860 on: March 23, 2015, 09:51:17 pm »
Thank you fellas, you're all very kind.

@Danyo no, lifters were used as is, took the best two I had of the three sets of carb racks I have. Saved a second good set for the K3.

For those just catching up, they were ultrasonically cleaned,

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,126735.msg1542350.html#msg1542350

every last bit of hardware was replated with zinc and chromated clear/blue,

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,126735.msg1598663.html#msg1598663

crowns and bowls were polished to chrome like finish.

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,126735.msg1601319.html#msg1601319
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 10:45:27 pm by edwardmorris »

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
« Reply #861 on: March 24, 2015, 07:23:37 am »
Dang that's some shine!
--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"
Delkevic Stainless 4-1 Header, Cone Engineering 18" Quiet Core Reverse Cone, K&N Filter in Drilled Airbox
K5 Crankcase/Frame, K4 Head and Cylinders, K1 Carbs (42;120;1 Turn)

She's a mix-matched (former) basket case, but she's mine.

CB750 Shop Manual (all years), searchable text PDF
Calculating the correct input circumference for digital speedometers connected to the original speedometer drive

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #862 on: March 30, 2015, 07:11:32 pm »
Installed the last of the SKFs for this build. Oil pump and starter motor are the only excuses I have left to dally engine assembly. Can't seem to shake off this nervousness  >:( >:(

Offline Davez134

• Expert
« Reply #863 on: March 30, 2015, 07:21:32 pm »
Installed the last of the SKFs for this build. Oil pump and starter motor are the only excuses I have left to dally engine assembly. Can't seem to shake off this nervousness  >:( >:(
Uh, starter motor is no excuse, get to work! 8) what's the worst that can happen, a small leak?? ;D ;D

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #864 on: April 01, 2015, 09:21:46 pm »
Uh, starter motor is no excuse, get to work! 8) what's the worst that can happen, a small leak?? ;D ;D
;D ;D

Don't have all the parts for the starter, so put the oil pump back together (short on time too during the work week).

The impellers: I have a near NOS oil pump I bought from Bill with immaculate impellers, saving that for the 836 K3. The K2's original pump was in good shape, but the impellers and the end caps both had a bit of scarring. They were deemed adequate for a stocker, but I wasn't quite happy with them. So I bought me a set of barely used impellers and end caps with very very little wear from Godffrey.

Outer two impellers are new(er), left two end caps are new(er).

The seals: Elan's super kit + bypass valve spring and a NOS oil screen I chased down a year ago took care of it all.

The rest: I had to drill out a screw or two, can't remember so got new replacements.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 09:32:34 pm by edwardmorris »

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #865 on: April 01, 2015, 09:28:56 pm »
The metal walled seal is a very snug fit and the shaft goes through it a bit tight. I lubed things up with the same mineral oil and everything went in buttery smooooooooooth. After I put that section together, I noticed that the gear pulls out a bit. Wasn't sure if it was supposed to do that so used the bat phone  ;D ;D ;D Then realized, I have the K3 oil pump sitting in a bag somewhere, so I went and checked it out, that one pulls out the same length so moved along.

Put it all together AND THEN, IT HAPPENED!! I conquered my fear of torquing schit  ;D ;D ;D JIS bit from my Heavy Duty impact driver fits perfectly in an 8mm socket (Thanks Gordon). Dean's vid series was a great help too. Will prime it the night before putting the cases together.

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
« Reply #866 on: April 02, 2015, 04:48:32 am »
JIS bit from my Heavy Duty impact driver fits perfectly in an 8mm socket

Brilliant! Good to know...
--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"
Delkevic Stainless 4-1 Header, Cone Engineering 18" Quiet Core Reverse Cone, K&N Filter in Drilled Airbox
K5 Crankcase/Frame, K4 Head and Cylinders, K1 Carbs (42;120;1 Turn)

She's a mix-matched (former) basket case, but she's mine.

CB750 Shop Manual (all years), searchable text PDF
Calculating the correct input circumference for digital speedometers connected to the original speedometer drive

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #867 on: April 03, 2015, 09:36:18 pm »
Scheduled to work all the way until 5:00PM Monday  :( :( Had some time to get organized to close up the cases, took about 18 months but I now have every single bolt, o-ring washer and nut for the engine NOS ;D ;D

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #868 on: April 04, 2015, 02:29:37 pm »
Caught a quick break, installed  a new seal on the starter clutch, red line assembly lubed it up, tricked the damned clutch with toothpicks so I could slide the gear in place, torqued it down in three steps to 72Ft-lbs, double nutted removal of bent timing shaft. I can't remember exactly, but the starter gear only spins one way right?

Next break, cleaning gasket surfaces and thread chasing everything.

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #869 on: April 05, 2015, 08:04:42 am »
Yes starter gear only spins one way. If it goes in either direction then you have no electric start...
1969 Honda CB750... Basket case
1970 Honda CB750 survivor.

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #870 on: April 06, 2015, 09:06:07 pm »
Got some final cleaning done, all the old hondabond is off, lower case is sitting sealed up after I thread chased every single threaded hole. Good thing I did that, turns out despite my compulsive masking when I painted them, there was still some paint that bled into one of the threaded holes where the oil hoses meet the crank. Filled it up with acetone to break it loose, then the thread chaser removed the gunk.

Finished cleaning the gasket surface on the top half, will need to do the rest next break, which is Wed at 6:00PM :o While I was cleaning out the hondabond, I noticed that these two things on both side that look like oil returns, aren't the same size. The dyno side has large holes, points side has one big and one tiny little dinky of a passage. Should I leave it be or drill it out?

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #871 on: April 06, 2015, 09:13:30 pm »
These holes varied between the different cases. There isn't any pressure on them, so if they drain, that's all it takes.
That said, sometimes I have found flash from a mold that some tech did not clean out: this often shows up in the "horror" pictures we occasionally see where someone cleaned their oil pan and found them, years later. It's usually some flash casting edge that escaped the initial sandblast treatment that was used to remove casting scale, etc., when the parts were once new. If it is flash, it will be thin enough that a good tap with a screwdriver tip will break through it: if so, then think about filing it away so it won't risk a trip through the gears someday?
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #872 on: April 06, 2015, 09:21:31 pm »
Thanks Mark! I'll take a closer look and post back, it didn't seem too thin but I could be wrong...

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #873 on: April 11, 2015, 03:17:52 pm »
So the crankcase oil return casting is pretty solid, didn't knock loose with considerable tapping, so I'll leave it be. Moved on to getting stuff together to close the cases, started with the crank and connecting rods. All new bearings, bolts torqued up to 14.5ft-lbs which honestly doesn't feel too tight, but that's what the manual and Mark's book call for, so leaving it be (unless advised otherwise).

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #874 on: April 11, 2015, 07:39:44 pm »
All new clutch, pre-soaked the plates then assembled the main shaft, some ceran wrap to keep debris out.