Author Topic: 1972 CB750 Four K2 -- Rebuilt to NEW OLD STOCK -- PIX ON PAGE 50  (Read 236928 times)

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
  • Do not cause harm, nor respond to harm with harm.
Re: 1972 CB750 Four K2 -- Project "Ice Cream"-- ENGINE TEARDOWN
« Reply #425 on: March 22, 2014, 04:11:13 pm »
Side 2

The journals and lobes both look awful compared to the 41-a, can these be micro polished like the crank?

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #426 on: March 22, 2014, 04:46:34 pm »
G'Day Ed, yep, that cam looks completely clagged. While you could possibly get it re-ground, that would increse the clearance betwixt the bearing surfaces, so it'd just rattle around in the cam towers. Get yourself a better one. Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #427 on: March 22, 2014, 08:19:07 pm »
That one looks like a good candidate for a reweld-regrind core, but with the kind of rust and chips I think I see, it would be pretty rough on your other parts. Those kinds of cams are good to keep around (or use) with Megacycle, sending it to them when you want, say, a nice 125-04 regrind (they are out of cores for the new ones, they say, which is their 125-00).

If you have one with smooth journals, it's a better candidate?
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #428 on: March 22, 2014, 08:20:50 pm »
Thanks Terry for the chain clarification. Not too dusty around here but incredibly humid during the summer living between two lakes so rusting would be something I'll need to worry about. If O-ring chain is slightly less maintenance than one without, it makes sense to go with that for me. Also, I'll stop over thinking the sprockets, JT is the other brand I see listed abundantly but when I saw Yamiya selling Sunstars, I figured that's more close to OEM...

Still too bloody cold out here to do any kind of painting, desperately waiting to paint the engine cases and frame so I can start putting this thing back together. But there is plenty of little stuff left to deal with until then anyway so hoping to get more things squared away on my day off tomorrow.

You get a day off?

You lucky @#$@!....
;)

Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #429 on: March 22, 2014, 09:43:46 pm »
You get a day off?

You lucky @#$@!....
;)
LOL not my choice, the wife has mandated no work on Sundays for a while now. Me, I prefer picking up every available shift I can, especially now that I have a big ticket item on the list, the yamiya body kit. A whole another debate running in my head with that, WHAT COLOR TO GO WITH? Don't like the candy gold, and that's the only correct K2 color they have.

As for the unfortunate cam situation, I paged Bill Benton and he's got one! I still have the Web-Cam 41-a that was in the  original wrong F head along with its HD springs and what nots but it doesn't seem like I can simply drop it in with stock everything else, will have to learn and do the whole degreeing shabang!

As always, thank you all, for keeping up with me so far, I'll do all I can to get it on the road asap.

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #430 on: March 23, 2014, 03:19:10 pm »
Not a whole lot going on, but managed to get round 1 of 500 grit sanding done on the fork legs and front hub. Fork legs had major atrocities, the hub only had minor gouging from over tightened spokes. Still need to clean up the grooves a little better. For the fork legs, I'm thinking about leaving the casting marks as is, because that's how they came out the factory. Not entirely done with them, but its a start.

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #431 on: March 23, 2014, 03:19:57 pm »
Hub and casting marks..

Offline BPellerine

• Master
« Reply #432 on: March 24, 2014, 07:29:51 pm »
polishing and cleaning sure eats up the time and fingertips!bill
1978 CB 750K ard and webers
another anfob

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #433 on: March 24, 2014, 07:52:33 pm »
polishing and cleaning sure eats up the time and fingertips!bill
Definitely, I'm dreading the Sunday I'll start with the valve train cover. There's never enough time to do more than a couple things anyway so most of my fingertips have survived thus far ;)

Hoping to get the master cylinder torn down sometime before next Sunday, any tips on cleaning brake fluid deposits? Is Acetone interchangeable with lacquer thinner when cleaning parts?

Offline BPellerine

• Master
« Reply #434 on: March 25, 2014, 04:46:11 pm »
just did the valve cover for my engine build and it took me 4 nights of sanding and polishing!bill
another anfob

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #435 on: March 28, 2014, 03:04:34 pm »
OK, so taking a short break from sanding as I'm getting sick of it. Started to take the master cylinder and the upper hose assembly and got stuck pretty fast. From searching, watching a youtube vid, reading through Mark's book and the factory manual, the MC piston should come out once the boot, retaining ring for the boot and the circlip are out. I got all of this out, the only thing I didn't see come out was the 10.5mm washer that's in the parts fische. Instead, the pix below are what I see, something is blocking the piston from coming out. How to proceed?

Offline goldarrow

• one day, i'll be an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #436 on: March 28, 2014, 03:12:43 pm »
Once both clips are out, just whack the cylinder out
Life Is Full Of Challenges - And My Backyard Is Full Of SOHC4's

CB550 K0
CB750 K0, K2, K23 JDM, K45, K5
And the little ones z50r, xr50r, st90

750k5 http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=114817.0

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #437 on: March 29, 2014, 01:54:07 am »
To extrapolate on Goldy's post Ed, as I'm sure you'll be installing a rebuilt kit, you can poke a suitable drift/punch into the other end (brake hose end) and push/tap the whole piston assembly out.

You can try just pushing and releasing on the lever end of the piston assembly and hope that the internal spring pressure will pop it out, but my experience has been that you may need to tap the assembly out from the brake fluid hose end.

Just make sure that you don't go in sideways and score the cylinder with the drift. (unlikely, but anythings possible..........) While you have the piston out, make sure that the fluid hole and air bleed hole in the bottom of the reservoir are clear, this is the most common reason for the brakes not bleeding properly on re-assembly, and will save you a lot of time if you do it with the piston assembly removed.

I actually slightly enlarge the air bleeder hole with a jet drill, but just ensuring that the hole is clear by poking a stiff wire thru and looking into the cylinder to make sure the wire is all the way through will do. Cheers, Terry. ;D   
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #438 on: March 29, 2014, 09:34:26 am »
Thanks guys, its kinda hard to tell from the pictures, but what's making me nervous about just whacking it out of there is that it looks like there is another circlip without the eyes to pry it out. The piston moves pretty far up and down but won't budge past the point where the circlip is/was. Is it possible that it's gunked up so bad that? If so, then I'll try and get it out as suggested.

Offline goldarrow

• one day, i'll be an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #439 on: March 29, 2014, 09:38:02 am »
What you're seeing is the washer and it got rusted and stuck.  Just push it out from the other end like Terry mentioned
Life Is Full Of Challenges - And My Backyard Is Full Of SOHC4's

CB550 K0
CB750 K0, K2, K23 JDM, K45, K5
And the little ones z50r, xr50r, st90

750k5 http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=114817.0

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #440 on: March 29, 2014, 05:31:37 pm »
Alright, I gave it a shot and it did break free. The washer is shaped like a c-clamp, not sure why, wouldn't this cause leaks?

I cleaned up the cylinder in hot soapy water and gently removed the corrosion at the entry point with a wire cup on dremel. Once clean, I noticed that there seems to be some kinda scratch on the inside where the opening of the C-shaped washer was. Is this thing toast?

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #441 on: March 29, 2014, 11:19:25 pm »
Alright, I gave it a shot and it did break free. The washer is shaped like a c-clamp, not sure why, wouldn't this cause leaks?

I cleaned up the cylinder in hot soapy water and gently removed the corrosion at the entry point with a wire cup on dremel. Once clean, I noticed that there seems to be some kinda scratch on the inside where the opening of the C-shaped washer was. Is this thing toast?

I've seen marks like those before when that malleable C-washer is used. The master cylinders varied these parts, don't seem to have rhyme nor reason for 'why'. Last 4 years I've rebuilt 3 of them, and 2 had the C-washer, one was a regular round one (?). They were ALL stuck, just like this one. Once the fluid leaks, it finds friends outside the clean brake chamber, and they feast on the aluminum and corrode it. This makes it swell and discolor, like yours.

The seal area is up inside the tube near those little holes to the reservoir, like Terry was trying to describe above. If there's no scratches up there, all is fine. Make sure to wet the parts with brake fluid when you slide them in, or they will stick and nick themselves from the dryness. While they will still work, it will shorten their lives.

The K0-K2 before 12/71 all had brake reservoir lids labelled "Use J1703 Fluid Only" (among other hostile-sounding words). This became "DOT3 or J1703a" in the 1972 era. Soon that yielded to "DOT3".

The DOT4 type is a semi-synthetic: avoid that or the cups will swell and slowly dissolve, in my experience. It also seems to eat the rubber O-ring in the caliper over time, causing the pad to not retract, and drag and squeal. (These last statements may spark an oil-thread-like argument here, I'm just stating my observations with DOT4 lately, like the past 7 years or so. I'll apologize in advance...).

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #442 on: March 30, 2014, 09:26:10 am »
Thanks Mark, as always for the detailed explanation! I'm relieved to know that this is still usable, the scratch is only on the upper end half of the piston. The piston itself has a boatload of crud on it, but the other half of it is very clean. And from what I can see shining a light down the bore, all of it seems intact past this one scratch on top.

So after searching, I gathered that it is recommended to gently hone this bore before reassembly, but I can't find the infamous "Two Stone" hone anywhere. Can a long mandrel with say 2000 grit sanding roll do well enough?

Again, thanks @goldarrow, @Terry, @Hondaman for all the invaluable advice.

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #443 on: March 30, 2014, 02:10:45 pm »
Cleaned up the rotor and measured it with calipers at several spots, average thickness is at around 7.05mm. Doesn't seem to have any deep gouges but I can't find anyone to deglaze it. Factory manual says lower limit is at 6.0mm and not sure how much will be taken off when getting it deglazed. Should I reuse this one or find a better one?

Offline BPellerine

• Master
« Reply #444 on: March 30, 2014, 04:58:13 pm »
looks ok to me Ed,the rotor itself is stainless so hard to deglaze .I think that member godfrey has a service for them.bill
another anfob

Offline SOHC4 Cafe Racer Fan

• Speak up, Whipper-Snapper! I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC/4 Member #1235
« Reply #445 on: March 30, 2014, 06:08:35 pm »
+1 on Goddrey on his parts and services.
1975 CB550K1 "Blue" Stockish Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=135005.0)
1975 CB550F1 frame/CB650 engine hybrid "The Hot Mess" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,150220.0.html)
2008 Triumph Thruxton (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,190956.0.html)
2014 MV Agusta Brutale Dragster 800
2015 Yamaha FZ-09 (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,186861.0.html)

"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them — but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one.... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba." Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature, Cycle World, March 1995.  (http://www.latexnet.org/~csmith/sausage.html and https://magazine.cycleworld.com/article/1995/3/1/song-of-the-sausage-creature)

Sold/Emeritus
1973 CB750K2 "Bionic Mongrel" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132734.0) - Sold
1977 CB750K7 "Nine Lives" Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=50490.0) - Sold
2005 RVT1000RR RC51-SP2 "El Diablo" - Sold
2016+ Triumph Thruxton 1200 R (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,170198.0.html) - Sold

Offline Bill/BentON Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ex Honda Service Manager, Cert. Honda Tech - Racer
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #446 on: April 01, 2014, 11:58:41 am »
Edward, haven't checked on Godfrey's service, but we used to Blanchard grind them. See what he does, not easy material to work with, Bill If yours isn't grooved too much, might be fine, Ive got 10-15 we can check. Godfrey's might be the way to go. ;D
BentON Racing Website
OEM Parts | Service | Custom Builds
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #447 on: April 01, 2014, 12:20:50 pm »
Thanks guys, I had initially contacted Scottly after seeing his thread in the services offered section. He didn't have a way to resurface it though. I'll PM Godfrey and see if what he suggests. Worst case, I can fine disc sand off the light corrosion and live with the grooves. Unless Mr. Benton finds me a shiny one ;)

Offline Bill/BentON Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ex Honda Service Manager, Cert. Honda Tech - Racer
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #448 on: April 01, 2014, 12:28:35 pm »
I'm looking! ;D
BentON Racing Website
OEM Parts | Service | Custom Builds
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.

Offline Godffery

• Godffery's Garage
  • Expert
  • Wisdom brings a realization of how little we know.
    • Godffery's Garage hosted by VinMoto.org
« Reply #449 on: April 01, 2014, 02:52:38 pm »
Thanks for the good word guys.
Replying to PM now.