Author Topic: 1972 CB750 Four K2 -- Rebuilt to NEW OLD STOCK -- PIX ON PAGE 50  (Read 236958 times)

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
  • Do not cause harm, nor respond to harm with harm.
Re: 1972 CB750 Four K2 -- Project "Ice Cream"-- ENGINE TEARDOWN
« Reply #475 on: April 14, 2014, 06:27:23 pm »
Your M/C went out today.
Sweet! Thanks a bunch!

Offline Kickstart

• Expert
« Reply #476 on: April 14, 2014, 08:54:56 pm »
IMHO, I wouldn't use the NOS brake lines unless they have a relatively recent manufacture date.

When it comes to braking you don't want to take any chances and I'd be concerned those brake lines may have deteriorated due to age.

- Chris
75' CB750F Orange flake (rider)
75' CB750F Blue (Project)
75' CB750F Painted black (Project)
No Reserve Racing #171 AHRMA

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #477 on: April 14, 2014, 09:20:25 pm »
IMHO, I wouldn't use the NOS brake lines unless they have a relatively recent manufacture date.

When it comes to braking you don't want to take any chances and I'd be concerned those brake lines may have deteriorated due to age.
Sorry Chris, that was a mistake on my part, those are NOS OIL hoses, not brake lines. The packaging  has aged to $hit but the hoses look near perfect. I haven't torn them out just yet, not sure if what to do with them...

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #478 on: April 17, 2014, 06:18:27 pm »
Some goodies returned today, the oil pump seal is out and the rotor looks amazing. Thank you Bill Benton for the Blanchard Grinding tip, less than 1/2 mm was taken off so its well withing spec. Made some time to clean up the hardware after stripping paint and a three day soak in evaporust.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 06:22:04 pm by edwardmorris »

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #479 on: April 17, 2014, 06:56:03 pm »
OK, so here are the stamped/scribed letters on the crank and the case.

Crankcase:      B B C C C
Crankshaft: J L A A B A A  P L 3 3 4 4

so did I read this chart right? My main bearings are (from left to right)

C (Green) C (Green) B(Brown) B(Brown) B(Brown)

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #480 on: April 18, 2014, 08:53:04 pm »
And the rods. They all read 1.

Con. Rods:                             1 1 1 1
Crankshaft: J L A A B A A  P L 3 3 4 4

So if I'm reading this right, I've got all four D(yellow) ?

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #481 on: April 20, 2014, 09:38:40 pm »
Wow, no input on the journals?

Oil pump is cleaned up, need to do some feeler gauge checks, but this is the worst of the wear spots. How does it look?

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #482 on: April 20, 2014, 09:40:48 pm »
More

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #483 on: April 22, 2014, 06:24:22 pm »
Those look pretty typical for these engines: the pumps make about 25% more flow than is even needed when new (hence the bypass valve at the pump). Even with 40% of the rotors torn out by events like a shattered piston (racing), they still put out enough oil flow to run well into the 9k RPM range all day. Back when we could get new pumps, I think I bought maybe 1? Today, I just replace the seals and, thanks to Elan, the oil stopper and spring, and make sure the tunnel where the stopper plunger sits is round and smooth so it won't stick open.

Honda made these pumps one-off, by hand, until the F0 bikes. Each one was hand-lapped to fit the rotors. Thus, the rotors themselves can seldom be "fixed" as we don't have their jigs. But, if a pump starts flowing low, the body can be disassembled and the lips of the covers milled back a few thousandths to decrease the internal losses, which then boosts the flow again. The scoring on the covers is where most of the losses come from, unless whole chunks are missing in the rotors. In that case, another pump is the best approach.

But those look fully adequate!
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #484 on: April 24, 2014, 04:57:29 pm »
Thanks Mark, for the insightful help. I'll leave these be until reassembly.

Turns out my carbs are a complete disaster. Details here

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=136518.0

waiting on a correct set to arrive from Mr. Benton (this guy is amazing!). I suppose I'll try and fix up the bad set and sell it eventually, but for now its back to the loooong to do list of things. Hopefully some progress and an update this Sunday.

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #485 on: April 24, 2014, 11:01:04 pm »
Separated carbs. Short version on the franken carb story is that my #2 is not the right one, but the other three are correct. Will clean out the internals this Sunday to see if the jetting is right.

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #486 on: April 24, 2014, 11:04:27 pm »
I've listed some goodies for sale to help the budget, PM if you want any of it.

Like New condition webcam 41-a
Battery box + electrical panel ready for paint/PC
NOS OEM Oil pump screens

Offline Garage_guy_chris

• Hot Shot
« Reply #487 on: April 25, 2014, 10:16:39 pm »
Ive never seen that info and part numbers for rebuilding the oil pumps?  Im glad i stumbled across it because i would like to refresh my pump.  Where did the part numbers come from as any parts diagram i have seen show the pump as a unit and no break down on internal parts.
1971 Cb450 Cafe  (on the road)
1974 Cb750 Restomod (on the road)

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #488 on: April 25, 2014, 10:26:35 pm »
Ive never seen that info and part numbers for rebuilding the oil pumps?  Im glad i stumbled across it because i would like to refresh my pump.  Where did the part numbers come from as any parts diagram i have seen show the pump as a unit and no break down on internal parts.
#8 here

http://www.motogrid.com/pages/OemParts?aribrand=HOM#/Honda/CB750K2_A__MOTORCYCLE%2c_JPN%2c_VIN%23_CB750-2000001/OIL_PUMP/CB750K2-JPN-A/2Y143410E14341015B

Its still not a complete breakdown, the rotors aren't listed anywhere because they were one offs made by Honda.

Both my spares are sold though.

Offline Garage_guy_chris

• Hot Shot
« Reply #489 on: April 25, 2014, 11:20:16 pm »

Sorry i should have been more specific. I meant Ive never seen a parts diagram that show the shaft seal in the middle and the two outer o rings.

2) outer o-rings   91305-426-003
1) shaft seal        91208-MN1-771
4) o-rings             91302-377-000

For the shaft seal is it a direct fit part,  a week or two ago i read Hondaman saying the shaft seals were a no-go and the closest part requires machining of the seal bore in the housing ?
1971 Cb450 Cafe  (on the road)
1974 Cb750 Restomod (on the road)

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #490 on: April 25, 2014, 11:32:29 pm »

Sorry i should have been more specific. I meant Ive never seen a parts diagram that show the shaft seal in the middle and the two outer o rings.

2) outer o-rings   91305-426-003
1) shaft seal        91208-MN1-771
4) o-rings             91302-377-000

For the shaft seal is it a direct fit part,  a week or two ago i read Hondaman saying the shaft seals were a no-go and the closest part requires machining of the seal bore in the housing ?
Oh that, I just bought the super kit from Elan. Had everything but the screen and the gasket for the pump body.

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #491 on: April 28, 2014, 10:48:41 pm »
So I gave ultrasonic cleaning a try today, not too bad but what do you guys think? I tried out the odd ball carb first just in case I screwed something up. Didn't quite go as high as 50-50 simple green and water, I did 1.5L water and the rest simple green till the max mark in the tank. Roughly 45 mins for the body and a full hour for the rest. Cleaned up well, all rainbow colored surface everywhere. Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #492 on: April 28, 2014, 10:51:00 pm »
The bowl didn't clean all that great on the inside, can I wire wheel the rest of the gunk off? Here's the body

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #493 on: April 28, 2014, 10:54:28 pm »
The outside of the body came out great. I blew all the small passages out with the fine tip attachment on the body and the jets.

Offline harisuluv

• Master
« Reply #494 on: April 28, 2014, 11:40:35 pm »
Looks pretty good to me.

That iridescent "rainbow" finish as you describe is what they looked like new.  If you dip them in carb dip, you will lose that, and they will come out gray and dull.  Soda blasting also does not remove that finish.

Sometimes dissimilar metals like brass mixed can affect each other and you might get weird discolorations if they're in the same batch.  You can always segregate any parts you want in a container of some kind, plastic, glass, ultrasonic waves will go right through it.

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #495 on: April 29, 2014, 11:08:03 am »
Looks pretty good to me.

That iridescent "rainbow" finish as you describe is what they looked like new.  If you dip them in carb dip, you will lose that, and they will come out gray and dull.  Soda blasting also does not remove that finish.

Sometimes dissimilar metals like brass mixed can affect each other and you might get weird discolorations if they're in the same batch.  You can always segregate any parts you want in a container of some kind, plastic, glass, ultrasonic waves will go right through it.

Thanks for the tip Harisuluv, I'll try and segregate the small brass parts in a small glass jar with the next one and see how it goes. Hopefully I'll be able to make time before the weekend to at least clean the other three.

Anyone notice anything missing? The fische is toooooo loud and noisy, I'll go through it soon but if you see anything obvious missing, please lt me know.

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #496 on: May 06, 2014, 04:20:17 pm »
Goodies from Hondaman/Mark arrived today! Rebuilt swingarm, Hondaman Ignition with super mad cow powers and a few upgrades to the electrics!

Repro harness and NOS ignition switch got brand new flat blade connectors to avoid running a relay.
Alternator coils got new sleeving and connectors to go with the repro alternator sub-harness.

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #497 on: May 07, 2014, 12:58:51 am »
Looking good mate. Has the snow melted outside yet? Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline chewbacca5000

• I polish covers!
  • Old Timer
« Reply #498 on: May 07, 2014, 05:01:49 am »
Those rotors look great!  How did you manage to do that.  Is this a DIY type job?

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #499 on: May 07, 2014, 09:15:20 am »
Looking good mate. Has the snow melted outside yet? Cheers, Terry. ;D
Terry! Long time mate. Yea the snow is gone, but the lousy low temps continue, only made worse by all the rain we're getting. That, plus only having Sundays to work on the bike is destroying progress speed. Hopefully things will smooth out at work soon and we'll be back to normal schedules. I've been doing little bits here and there as I find time, current tedium being sanding the valve train cover, what a PITA it is.