Author Topic: 1972 CB750 Four K2 -- Rebuilt to NEW OLD STOCK -- PIX ON PAGE 50  (Read 236982 times)

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
  • Do not cause harm, nor respond to harm with harm.
Re: 1972 CB750 Four K2 -- Project "Ice Cream"-- BUILD RESUMED
« Reply #650 on: August 28, 2014, 08:59:26 pm »
Welp, this is done :) A bit too shiny for me but I don't have time to complain.

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #651 on: August 29, 2014, 10:25:08 pm »
Early dismissal at work, thought I'd make good use of the rest of the day, what do you think fellas? Need a break from sanding and buffing, perhaps work some on the frame next...

Offline SOHC4 Cafe Racer Fan

• Speak up, Whipper-Snapper! I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC/4 Member #1235
« Reply #652 on: August 29, 2014, 11:43:41 pm »
Great mirror finish!
1975 CB550K1 "Blue" Stockish Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=135005.0)
1975 CB550F1 frame/CB650 engine hybrid "The Hot Mess" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,150220.0.html)
2008 Triumph Thruxton (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,190956.0.html)
2014 MV Agusta Brutale Dragster 800
2015 Yamaha FZ-09 (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,186861.0.html)

"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them — but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one.... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba." Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature, Cycle World, March 1995.  (http://www.latexnet.org/~csmith/sausage.html and https://magazine.cycleworld.com/article/1995/3/1/song-of-the-sausage-creature)

Sold/Emeritus
1973 CB750K2 "Bionic Mongrel" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132734.0) - Sold
1977 CB750K7 "Nine Lives" Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=50490.0) - Sold
2005 RVT1000RR RC51-SP2 "El Diablo" - Sold
2016+ Triumph Thruxton 1200 R (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,170198.0.html) - Sold

Online calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #653 on: August 30, 2014, 04:05:38 am »
They look pretty close to perfect, except for the one area right there... Surprised you missed it, Ed? Can't you see it?  ;)

(He cackles mischievously as he skulks away...)

Those do look brilliant. You're a man of cap great determination to achieve that quality on so many pieces. Deepest respect to you-
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #654 on: August 30, 2014, 02:49:56 pm »
Thanks for the kind words guys, but it isn't quite the mirror finish. Its more close to a chrome like finish. I had to dial back on the white coloring rouge, I want the aluminum parts to look like Aluminum. The hubs, I let them shine up, they look nicer that way with the NOS rims. I've been working way too much and doing this build at the same time, my body finally started objecting and I'm in mandatory rest for this weekend :( Hopefully something or the other will get accomplished regardless...

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #655 on: August 30, 2014, 09:15:50 pm »
Can't quite rest so I was doing what I can sitting down. Started cleaning the oil tank and lined the inside with WD-40 for now. Paint looks alright, but I might touch it up anyway. Got to the brake caliper and realized I need a new piston. What should I go with? NOS replacement, stainless or phenolic? Something else bugging me, the master was off a Z1, so I'm not sure if the caliper is stock or not. It has TOCKIO marking with a red circle (size of a penny) on it. Thoughts?

Online calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #656 on: August 31, 2014, 04:23:51 am »
Phenolic piston, definitely. Never any rest for the wickedly obsessed-

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #657 on: August 31, 2014, 09:20:11 am »
Phenolic piston, definitely. Never any rest for the wickedly obsessed-
Any particular reason why the phenolic over the stainless? Sorry I know I should do my searching first but feeling lazy today  ;D

Offline oldhatt45

• The person called in at the last minute to share the blame is the...
  • Expert
  • Just an Old Guy that's gone to the Dogs
« Reply #658 on: August 31, 2014, 09:30:58 am »
Edward,
The Caliper marking of Tokico is the same on my Caliper.  And I know my caliper is Original.
And mine also has the little Red Dot. 

If you look at my latest post on my rebuild thread, I took a couple pictures of the Piston.  38 years old and the last 25 or 26 sitting in the garage.  If it works............. 

Fork Legs look Great.  Put some Simichrome on them and let them sit for a few days.  Then put some Mothers on them.  They will season a bit and be closer to what I think you want.

Charlie.

Online calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #659 on: August 31, 2014, 09:45:22 am »
Lighter weight. Never a chance of rust. Same price.

Offline oldhatt45

• The person called in at the last minute to share the blame is the...
  • Expert
  • Just an Old Guy that's gone to the Dogs
« Reply #660 on: August 31, 2014, 10:58:44 am »
Since I was working on it anyway, here is a picture of my Caliper, for reference.
Charlie

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #661 on: August 31, 2014, 11:12:03 pm »
Thanks guys.

I'm being policed by the missus, mandatory rest it is for the rest of the long weekend. I did manage to sneak out when she was away for a bit and managed to strip the caliper, rotor and the replacement dyno cover I bought from Bill Benton. This has to be the most stubborn batch of paint I've dealt with so far, even the aircraft remover was struggling. Couldn't do much once she was back, so just masked up the rotor for painting (hopefully) tomorrow. Going with VHT caliper paint, haven't read the instructions on the can but do I need to use primer with it?

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer

Offline yunk

« Reply #663 on: September 01, 2014, 06:05:38 pm »
Not that it matters to me but are you not being overly ambitious with all that extremely hard and thorough job you have done?
How do you dare to use your bike once you are finished with your restoration?

That museum show restoration will be ruined after a week if you ride it on a daily basis.

Or is it just going to be a garage queen driven for half an hour every year?

I could never enjoy driving it seeing all that hard work gone after just normal regular use.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 06:14:06 pm by yunk »

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #664 on: September 02, 2014, 02:02:24 am »
Quote from: yunk
Not that it matters to me but are you not being overly ambitious with all that extremely hard and thorough job you have done?
HA! Overly ambitious? I lack the time and funding for that, I'm barely squeaking by doing just "good enough". Seeing that you only have 7 posts so far, I take it you're new here and haven't looked into some of the other amazing builds. Phaedrus has set the bar so high, I think no one even tries to aim that high. Or Ed Hauser's K1 Gold bike of this month, or Tige's incredible F builds and the more recent K1 GT. Those are just a fraction of some of the most amazing builds with outstanding workmanship around here.

I'm very brave ;)

That museum show restoration will be ruined after a week if you ride it on a daily basis.
Not if you keep up with it.

Not in my garage. However if someone wants to make it their garage queen, it will be listed when its running and synced up.

I could never enjoy driving it seeing all that hard work gone after just normal regular use.
Well, not me, I'm having fun building it, I'll have fun riding it and keeping it in shape.

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #665 on: September 02, 2014, 02:05:56 am »
I did manage to get some time to work a bit more. Had to keep to easy stuff so finished painting the caliper, rotor, brake pressure switch, brake line T joint and baked them all. Also vinyl dyed a kill switch knob, but the damned dye ran a bit and left a nasty teardrop on one side. Will sand it down and start over tomorrow. Pix still on the phone, haven't made time to move them over, will do that tomorrow as well. Also got the caliper mounting bracket pieces and fork bottoms polished up and packed away. Just waiting on the head to return from JMR, then it'll be time to get things back onto the frame.

Offline yunk

« Reply #666 on: September 02, 2014, 06:53:17 pm »
HA! Overly ambitious? I lack the time and funding for that, I'm barely squeaking by doing just "good enough". Seeing that you only have 7 posts so far, I take it you're new here and haven't looked into some of the other amazing builds. Phaedrus has set the bar so high, I think no one even tries to aim that high. Or Ed Hauser's K1 Gold bike of this month, or Tige's incredible F builds and the more recent K1 GT. Those are just a fraction of some of the most amazing builds with outstanding workmanship around here.

I'm very brave ;)

Not if you keep up with it.

Not in my garage. However if someone wants to make it their garage queen, it will be listed when its running and synced up.

Well, not me, I'm having fun building it, I'll have fun riding it and keeping it in shape.

I have lurked around here for a couple of years without posting so Im familiar with others work, and I think that its unnecessary to compete with what others have been doing. Yes the workmanship is almost unbelieveable but my opinion is that motorcycles isn't to be admired only when standing still, shining like some pice of jewelry, they should be driven as much as possible, thats what they were built for to begin with.

Well each to its own or how you say it, its good that you intend to use yours, I like it that you are brave and I'm sure you will have lots fun driving it. :)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 06:55:20 pm by yunk »

Online calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #667 on: September 02, 2014, 06:55:45 pm »
There's no shame in a bike being made beautiful then being ridden. If it gets dirty, scuffed, scratched, or otherwise "road beauty marks" then it's easier to repair them. I suspect Edward will use his bike with as much gusto as he's put into restoring it.

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #668 on: September 02, 2014, 08:31:06 pm »
Not really competing yunk, I'm just a stickler for detail, maybe a bit obsessive too. For me, its either do it right or don't do it. When I say it'll be listed, its only for those who REALLY want to enjoy it and save it for another few decades. Best for them if they buy it with the rebuilt odo reading 000000 ;) Once that hits 100, its probably going to be my daily rider.

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #669 on: September 02, 2014, 08:41:58 pm »
Here's some pix of the paint and polish. I gotta be more careful with the masking, but its minor enough that I'll touch it up.

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #670 on: September 02, 2014, 08:45:17 pm »
Funny thing, the polished pieces look great in person but photograph like crap, and the vinyl paint looks like crap in person but photographs great..

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #671 on: September 03, 2014, 02:36:14 pm »
Still bumming it at home, have to make do with what I can, so I decided to proceed with the frame, something I can do sitting down in the front porch. To start off, I dremel cleaned out the race seats/ledges, then taped them up so I could spray the inside of the neck with some rubberized rust encapsulator. The barbarians at the powder coating shop drilled out only one of the VIN rivets and broke the head off the other ugh. The new VIN plate also came with a set of rivets that were the perfect size for the old holes, so I went with those and held the slightly thicker ones from The Other Derek as a back up in case I botched something.

The stock size are 1/16" or whatever metric equivalent of that, so I drilled out the stuck rivet as carefully as I could. The drill bit is so thin, it wasn't chucking right on to my handy Dewalt, so I wrapped a few laps of tape on it to beef up the grip. Worked great, so much so that one slip of the hand and the bit broke off lodging itself into the frame  :o :o :o :o :o :o

Once my cardy like symptoms subsided after that shock, I was able gently maneuver it out using two safety pins. Measured the depth and it was just about right length for the new rivet to secure itself. Taped up my trusty hammer and was ready to pound at it.

Then I recalled Ron's build and how he nicely reshaped the VIN plate on a PVC pipe. Rigged up that set up and rolled it gently with a paint can. The new one is a bit too stiff and kept fighting hard, so let it go after there was enough of a curve to get most of the glued surface on the frame.

Just as I was ready to set it in place, I noticed the new plate kept sticking to my fingers in one spot. Looked closely and ghaaah, guey gunk from sticky tape that was holding the tiny ziplock with the rivets in it. So I tried to wipe it off with some acetone, BAAAD IDEA. Acetone wiped off a layer of the nice and shiny anodizing with it  :o :o :o :o

After my second shock subsided, I decided what's done is done, no time to wait for another one and went ahead with it. When it came into daylight from the basement to the front porch, it looked spectacular! The fading makes it look like its 40 years old again, that worked out well, should subdue some possible questioning at the DMV  ;D

Now that I finally set it in place, I realized that its about half a mil too short and the rivet holes weren't lining up perfectly. Came this far, wasn't stopping so I glued it such that both were off a quarter mil, then hammared them in with a little coercing. Went in without much of a fight, but I failed to realize that hammering the first one put holes in the tape  :o :o :o One bad hit on the second one and the "N" from "IN" was annihilated  >:( >:( >:( Oh well, now looks like its 41 years old, moving on. Final tapping with the thick styro sheet doubled and laid on top to get the final curvature and as much of it to stick as possible. Its pretty secure so calling it done.

Offline SOHC4 Cafe Racer Fan

• Speak up, Whipper-Snapper! I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC/4 Member #1235
« Reply #672 on: September 03, 2014, 02:53:57 pm »
Still bumming it at home, have to make do with what I can, so I decided to proceed with the frame, something I can do sitting down in the front porch. To start off, I dremel cleaned out the race seats/ledges, then taped them up so I could spray the inside of the neck with some rubberized rust encapsulator. The barbarians at the powder coating shop drilled out only one of the VIN rivets and broke the head off the other ugh. The new VIN plate also came with a set of rivets that were the perfect size for the old holes, so I went with those and held the slightly thicker ones from The Other Derek as a back up in case I botched something.

The stock size are 1/16" or whatever metric equivalent of that, so I drilled out the stuck rivet as carefully as I could. The drill bit is so thin, it wasn't chucking right on to my handy Dewalt, so I wrapped a few laps of tape on it to beef up the grip. Worked great, so much so that one slip of the hand and the bit broke off lodging itself into the frame  :o :o :o :o :o :o

Once my cardy like symptoms subsided after that shock, I was able gently maneuver it out using two safety pins. Measured the depth and it was just about right length for the new rivet to secure itself. Taped up my trusty hammer and was ready to pound at it.

Then I recalled Ron's build and how he nicely reshaped the VIN plate on a PVC pipe. Rigged up that set up and rolled it gently with a paint can. The new one is a bit too stiff and kept fighting hard, so let it go after there was enough of a curve to get most of the glued surface on the frame.

Just as I was ready to set it in place, I noticed the new plate kept sticking to my fingers in one spot. Looked closely and ghaaah, guey gunk from sticky tape that was holding the tiny ziplock with the rivets in it. So I tried to wipe it off with some acetone, BAAAD IDEA. Acetone wiped off a layer of the nice and shiny anodizing with it  :o :o :o :o

After my second shock subsided, I decided what's done is done, no time to wait for another one and went ahead with it. When it came into daylight from the basement to the front porch, it looked spectacular! The fading makes it look like its 40 years old again, that worked out well, should subdue some possible questioning at the DMV  ;D

Now that I finally set it in place, I realized that its about half a mil too short and the rivet holes weren't lining up perfectly. Came this far, wasn't stopping so I glued it such that both were off a quarter mil, then hammared them in with a little coercing. Went in without much of a fight, but I failed to realize that hammering the first one put holes in the tape  :o :o :o One bad hit on the second one and the "N" from "IN" was annihilated  >:( >:( >:( Oh well, now looks like its 41 years old, moving on. Final tapping with the thick styro sheet doubled and laid on top to get the final curvature and as much of it to stick as possible. Its pretty secure so calling it done.

Unintentionally, you just antiqued the VIN plate to perfection!
1975 CB550K1 "Blue" Stockish Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=135005.0)
1975 CB550F1 frame/CB650 engine hybrid "The Hot Mess" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,150220.0.html)
2008 Triumph Thruxton (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,190956.0.html)
2014 MV Agusta Brutale Dragster 800
2015 Yamaha FZ-09 (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,186861.0.html)

"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them — but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one.... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba." Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature, Cycle World, March 1995.  (http://www.latexnet.org/~csmith/sausage.html and https://magazine.cycleworld.com/article/1995/3/1/song-of-the-sausage-creature)

Sold/Emeritus
1973 CB750K2 "Bionic Mongrel" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132734.0) - Sold
1977 CB750K7 "Nine Lives" Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=50490.0) - Sold
2005 RVT1000RR RC51-SP2 "El Diablo" - Sold
2016+ Triumph Thruxton 1200 R (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,170198.0.html) - Sold

Online calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #673 on: September 03, 2014, 03:26:08 pm »
I think it's installed upside down... :-[

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #674 on: September 03, 2014, 03:31:08 pm »
I think it's installed upside down... :-[
No