Author Topic: 1972 CB750 Four K2 -- Rebuilt to NEW OLD STOCK -- PIX ON PAGE 50  (Read 236996 times)

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
Re: 1972 CB750 Four K2 -- Project "Ice Cream"-- BUILD RESUMED
« Reply #700 on: September 09, 2014, 03:45:07 am »
Yellow looks more stock, but clear-blue looks more appealing.
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #701 on: September 10, 2014, 01:26:41 am »
Love, Hate or don't care input on these two psychedelic colors please people, which set do you guys think would look better? Yellow on the left is more vibrant, Clear/Blue on the right is less so, but close to the carb bodies' iridescent finish.

Clear/Blue

+1 Rafi, looks much nicer in my opinion. You're doing great work mate, give yourself a pat on the back. What tires are you using? Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
  • Do not cause harm, nor respond to harm with harm.
« Reply #702 on: September 10, 2014, 07:55:39 am »
Terry!  ;D ;D Its decided then, uncle Tez says blue, so it shall be  :P The yellow set will go on my spare set and eventually on sale (project treasury is behind now :o)

I went with Conti Twins Terry, for the sake of a more close to stock look, and this bike will be a straight line rider (at least while its still all shiny ;)).

Minor set back yesterday, was putting the gauges back together and noticed that the gauge lenses have scratches that were hidden behind the road film? Blatantly visible after cleaning :( To make things worse, I'm regretting not buying a set of crimp rings when I bought the new faces from LeCram. I had the old ones replated with the rest of the chrome parts, waste of time. As soon as I started crimping them, the chrome scratched up and fell back into the housing somehow ugh. Ordered new rings (DAMN these are pricey!) last night, will have to get back to the gauges later.

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #703 on: September 10, 2014, 10:16:38 pm »
Follow up question. Which set should I go with?

Pic 1 is the 657As that were on the bike but with franken parts. I now have all the correct parts (ALMOST) from James/harisuluv and Bill Benton to get that set together and workable. The bodies are nice and clean on the outside, some corrosion in the bowl area. Correct for later K2s.

Pic 2 is the 7As set I bought form Bill, had a few franken pieces but pretty much complete now (thanks again, James). The bowl areas are immaculate, but bodies #1 and #4, the two most visible ones have corrosion on them on the outsides :( This is actually the correct set for the super early K2s (mine).

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #704 on: September 10, 2014, 10:20:00 pm »
Had very little time today, so tackled the last two bearing that needed removal. Clutch lifter plate and the counter shaft end cover. The clutch lifter bearing simply fell out, no heat or effort of any kind. Is this good or bad? The CS cover, I just toasted it with a heat gun raised off the floor and it fell out. These will be getting new SKFs.

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #705 on: September 12, 2014, 10:09:52 am »
No input on the carb bodies  :(?

Offline jerry h

• Hot Shot
« Reply #706 on: September 12, 2014, 04:11:35 pm »
How early is your bike again?   Mine has 657A's  (2/72  2022907 vin)

Personally,  I'd go with which ever set is in the best condition overall to give you a good running bike.  In reality, when the bike is all back together, you only see a fraction of the carbs anyway.
"It is not the critic who counts, the credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose hands are covered with grease and oil."

K2 http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,105097.0.html

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #707 on: September 12, 2014, 05:25:09 pm »
+1 Rafi, and don't think it won't be original if you do, Honda tended to use whatever they had in their parts bins when they made these things, so there are lots of bikes from one model with parts from another model straight from the factory.

For example, Marcel (LeCram) bought a K0 that came from the factory with K1 speedo and tach, because by late in the K0 model run, they'd run out of K0 gauges.

And there's nothing wrong with those Conti tires mate, I put them on my bikes back in the day, and they crapped all over the factory Bridgestone's of the era, they were terrible! Good work mate, keep going, I'm impressed! Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #708 on: September 12, 2014, 05:37:43 pm »
Thanks Jerry and Terry, I'll go with the 7As. Correct for my bike, and absolutely no corrosion whatsoever in the bowl area/jet posts etc. The corrosion on the outside, I'll live with it. Last bits of original Keihin's came in today from James, so hopefully I'll get the racks back together soon.

Jerry, mine's a 11/71 2000xxx something, has a lot of K1 parts, the one off dashboard and many other early K2 oddities, most likely K1 engine too.

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #709 on: September 13, 2014, 09:44:45 pm »
Monumental waste of a day. Safe to say never again  >:(

The oil tank cap I liked shining up though ;)

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #710 on: September 14, 2014, 04:25:09 pm »
Question: Factory default setting for the following, paint or polish?

Speedometer Drive
Cam Chain Tensionser Cover
Oil line and crank drain tappet cover like bolts

Offline Kickstart

• Expert
« Reply #711 on: September 14, 2014, 06:41:20 pm »

Why do you say waste of a day... those caps look great!
- Chris
75' CB750F Orange flake (rider)
75' CB750F Blue (Project)
75' CB750F Painted black (Project)
No Reserve Racing #171 AHRMA

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #712 on: September 14, 2014, 08:54:08 pm »

Why do you say waste of a day... those caps look great!
I could have done something else, like get the carbs back together first. I bought a set of the tappet covers from a guy here hoping I they'd be in better shape than the ones that came with the bike. Needless to say, it was a mixed bag and I was out  40 bux, I should have sent them to Ryan, he charges 50 for a set of 8, would have been worth it. Now I doubt I'll be able to get rid of the extra set for a 100 bux (polishing price match (I wouldn't polish these for 100) + original cost + shipping).

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #713 on: September 15, 2014, 08:08:26 pm »
Another colossal time sucker out of the way. Any word on the speedo drive and other bits? Mine look like they were painted, but that could be a PO disaster.

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #714 on: September 15, 2014, 09:02:24 pm »
Man you got that polishing down to a science! Looks good. Makes me want to try and make mine like that. Any tips?

Offline Davez134

• Expert
« Reply #715 on: September 16, 2014, 12:49:35 am »
Another colossal time sucker out of the way. Any word on the speedo drive and other bits? Mine look like they were painted, but that could be a PO disaster.

Looks good! Brings back memories of, well, last week!

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #716 on: September 16, 2014, 10:36:41 am »
Man you got that polishing down to a science! Looks good. Makes me want to try and make mine like that. Any tips?
Thanks guys.

From my exp, only thing to be sure of is that the more time you spend sanding incrementally up to 1200 grit, the better the end result. Eastwood's polishing kits are working out great. When done, I do a final hand polish with White Diamond Metal Polish and sealer. This dulls it just a tiny bit but better it be sealed than oxidize rapidly.

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #717 on: September 17, 2014, 06:50:28 pm »
Cleaned up some rubbers today. Bad burns from battery acid and such, rock hard too. Fist a simple green soak to resupple then a foamy bath with some tire shine, good as new ;)

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #718 on: September 19, 2014, 03:25:23 pm »
Probably the only update for this weekend as I'll be away. Managed to zinc and chromate horn parts. The one that came on my bike had a small ding in the black plastic body so I bought a better shaped one from Bill. Yellow is the dinged one, blue will go on my bike to match with the rest of the pieces. The front dome got rechromed, but the horn from Bill already had flawless chrome so that'll remain as is and go for sale to fund the treasury.

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #719 on: September 22, 2014, 09:57:09 am »
Damn gauges  >:(

Was working on resetting the mileage following this

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=88015.msg992441#msg992441

and the damned circlip disappeared into the gauge somewhere right as it slipped off the shaft. These things are a curse to work on grrh. Now to hunt down a replacement clip.

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #720 on: September 23, 2014, 12:08:26 pm »
Damn setbacks are killing my time. Pondering what to do with the build. I have 3 pieces left to polish, 4 to zinc and engine top end + bits to paint, all within the next two weeks. After that it will start getting too cold to try and assemble it and get it broken in before storing it. Should I just take my time and let it hibernate over the winter and start assembly in spring? Or try and get it done now, break it in and store it?

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #721 on: September 23, 2014, 12:20:22 pm »
I would press on and assemble and break in the motor. If you encounter any motor issues, then you have the winter to solve them instead of discovering in the Spring you have unforeseen issues.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #722 on: September 23, 2014, 02:33:06 pm »
I would press on and assemble and break in the motor. If you encounter any motor issues, then you have the winter to solve them instead of discovering in the Spring you have unforeseen issues.
I'll need help, only have weekends to work on it  :(

Offline SOHC4 Cafe Racer Fan

• Speak up, Whipper-Snapper! I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC/4 Member #1235
« Reply #723 on: September 23, 2014, 02:37:08 pm »
I'll need help, only have weekends to work on it  :(

Now you've done it by calling out the four-letter H word.  Cal is already hopping on the interstate en route!!
1975 CB550K1 "Blue" Stockish Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=135005.0)
1975 CB550F1 frame/CB650 engine hybrid "The Hot Mess" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,150220.0.html)
2008 Triumph Thruxton (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,190956.0.html)
2014 MV Agusta Brutale Dragster 800
2015 Yamaha FZ-09 (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,186861.0.html)

"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them — but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one.... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba." Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature, Cycle World, March 1995.  (http://www.latexnet.org/~csmith/sausage.html and https://magazine.cycleworld.com/article/1995/3/1/song-of-the-sausage-creature)

Sold/Emeritus
1973 CB750K2 "Bionic Mongrel" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132734.0) - Sold
1977 CB750K7 "Nine Lives" Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=50490.0) - Sold
2005 RVT1000RR RC51-SP2 "El Diablo" - Sold
2016+ Triumph Thruxton 1200 R (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,170198.0.html) - Sold

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #724 on: September 23, 2014, 03:00:43 pm »
Should be there by 7:30...AM in case you're keeping track