Author Topic: OCR 2009 Honda CB350 Race Bike(ton of pics)  (Read 32281 times)

Offline ohiocaferacer

• Hot Shot
  • www.OHIOCAFERACERS.com
    • OHIO CAFE RACERS
Re: OCR 2009 Honda CB350 Race Bike(ton of pics)
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2009, 05:14:07 am »
Wow, awesome job. I'm afraid to ask how much you have in to both them. Well worth the $$$ tho.. Sounds great also.. Thanks for posting.

Thanks.....actually....more time than $ in these bikes....most of the work is done in house. Dont get me wrong...the nickel and dime stuff adds up......I just try not to think about it....HA! ;D

WOW!!!! :o 8)  Somehow, I got sidetracked from this and sure am glad I got back to it. :) Never cease to amaze me at just what quality of work you turn out Greg. Sure am going to look you up at Barber this year, gonna do my best to be there with my Dad and hope to meet up with some of the SOHC4 bunch as well. Got that Jawa engine last Saturday, when we meet up with John (jtb) at WEST Memphis.

Take care, Bill ;)

Plan is to have this bike finished in time to race it at Barber in Oct......hope to see you guys there Bill!!

Offline mlinder

• "Kitten Puncher"
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Stop Global Tilting now!
    • Moto Northwest
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2009, 06:55:28 am »
Building a couple 350 track bikes myself right now. Won't be as pretty as yours :) Also won't be ready til next season.

Wish we were allowed to brace the swing arm like you did yours.

Would be awesome to be at the same track sometime. You ever make it out to PIR in Portland? You should see about coming out for vintage race day next season. You and yoru crew can stay at my house. :)
No.

Offline ohiocaferacer

• Hot Shot
  • www.OHIOCAFERACERS.com
    • OHIO CAFE RACERS
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2009, 11:01:15 am »
Bike is in the paint booth!!

....more to come!! ;D

Offline Zaipai

• I am getting closer to being an
  • Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2009, 04:17:45 pm »
Thought i'd post some new updated pics of the race bike i've been working on for awhile. Been side lined on other projects, but finally got around to working on the Honda again. Also got it up and running and all is well.

Hammered and shaped an alloy belly pan and got all the plumbing done for the rear fender/catch can. Here are some pics....and maybe a video if I can figure out how to post it. ;D

....hopefully have it tore apart for paint soon.

Wow that is one slick bike.. Can't wait to see it painted. Looks fast standing still..
Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline ohiocaferacer

• Hot Shot
  • www.OHIOCAFERACERS.com
    • OHIO CAFE RACERS
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2009, 04:21:48 am »
Okay.......finally got parts back from the body shop and was able to spend a few hours last night putting the bike back together.....snapped a couple cell phone pics. Still have to do some safety wiring....fit a new chain....and some other odds and ends.....but its almost finished and ready to head down to Barber for some racing next week. Hopefully see some of you down there.

I'll try and get some better pics later....but for now:

Offline Industrial Rat400f Killer

• Be careful you might get a
  • Expert
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2009, 08:58:41 am »
Very nice!

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Tryin' To Slow Down "Time"!
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2009, 11:44:03 am »

Typical OCR Quality! :o 8)  Great job Greg, can't wait to see it! ;)
Member # 1969
PRAYERS ALWAYS FOR: Bre, Jeff & Virginia, Bear, Trevor & Brianna ( Close Friend's Daughter)
"Because HE lives, I can Face Tomorrow"                  
 You CAN Teach An Old Dog New Tricks, Just Takes A Little Bit Longer & A Lot More Patience!! 

Main Rides: '02 Durango, '71 Swinger & Dad's '93
                  Dakota LE 4x4 '66 CB77 & '72 SL350K2
Watch What You Step Into, It Could  End Up A Mess!

Offline ohiocaferacer

• Hot Shot
  • www.OHIOCAFERACERS.com
    • OHIO CAFE RACERS
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2009, 11:54:08 am »
Thanks guys.......hope to see you down at Barber Bill!!

As for the bike......a little disappointed in the paint. Painter messed it up in a few places and it has some issues that i'll have to address after racing at Barber. It looks good from afar...but far from good. Also.....this is a brand new bike and Barber will be its first outing. As i've found in the past with new race bikes.....fridays practice will uncover alot of issues that will need to be addressed for the weekend races. Will have to kind of watch the motor as its fresh and new......this race will be more of a break in period(and hopefully wont break) than actual racing.

New pics outside today......

« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 02:11:04 pm by ohiocaferacer »

Offline bgfootball67

• Hot Shot
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2009, 03:03:59 pm »
That sucks about your paint man, can not say I am surprised.  Are you gonna take it back to him or take it someplace local?  Give me a hollar this weekend as I need your help with that tire.  

Still looks to good to be a damn race bike....
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 04:58:42 pm by bgfootball67 »
Columbus VinMoto
Ohio Cafe Racers website - http://www.ohiocaferacers.com

Offline rustrocket92

• Mad Fabricator
  • Hot Shot
  • Buster is in the Lab!
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2009, 03:59:34 pm »
I really like this build. Can't wait to see it on the track.
1973 cb750k
1976 cb750k
1978 cb750f
1978 cb750k

Offline ohiocaferacer

• Hot Shot
  • www.OHIOCAFERACERS.com
    • OHIO CAFE RACERS
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2009, 04:40:44 am »
I really like this build. Can't wait to see it on the track.

Thanks.......fingers crossed the motor stays together.

Stop over in the pits and say hello....BGFootbal, myself and some others will be over there all weekend.

• Expert
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2009, 08:29:05 am »
I just noticed you used a cable for your rear brake. What cable did you use? After some research I think I'd rather run a cable than linkage when I fit my rearsets to my 400.
Can I see a close up of how the cable is attached at the hub?

Offline ohiocaferacer

• Hot Shot
  • www.OHIOCAFERACERS.com
    • OHIO CAFE RACERS
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2009, 09:03:17 am »
I just noticed you used a cable for your rear brake. What cable did you use? After some research I think I'd rather run a cable than linkage when I fit my rearsets to my 400.
Can I see a close up of how the cable is attached at the hub?

Rear brake cable is from an H1 500cc Kawi triple. I had a rear wheel from one laying around and the rear brake cable was the perfect size.

I drilled a hole on the rear brake stay and attached a cable holder. Cant remember where I got the cable holder from. Here is a pic from earlier.

• Expert
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2009, 09:19:04 am »
That's brilliant, it's so simple and effective. Thanks!

Offline ohiocaferacer

• Hot Shot
  • www.OHIOCAFERACERS.com
    • OHIO CAFE RACERS
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2009, 09:42:24 am »
No problem.....anytime!! ;D

Offline ohiocaferacer

• Hot Shot
  • www.OHIOCAFERACERS.com
    • OHIO CAFE RACERS
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2009, 01:42:27 pm »
The bike finally made its first race with AHRMA in the 350 Sportsman class at Barber.

Overall....the bike did great. Had a good friday practice.....bike handled great.....ran lean at top end. Saturday was alot of wet pavement and rain, so I decided to stay in the pits.......last year at Barber while racing in the rain....I crashed and broke some ribs....didnt want to do the same again this year. Sunday turned out to be perfect......changed the main jet....did morning practice and the bike ran great. Still need to do some motor work.....the guys in the 350 sportsman class are FAST!! Sundays race started out great.......but on the 4th or 5th lap of 6........I started losing a cyclinder....and barely made it back to the pits on the final lap. After getting back to Ohio.......looking things over.....I think I burnt up a coil. Gonna check the motor this weekend.....but overall......awesome time in Alabama at Barber Motorsports Park....cant wait for next year!

Couple pics......

...a pic of Todd Henning and I talking for a bit.....had not talked to him in a long time....nice to see him back at the track.

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2009, 06:18:04 pm »
Well done Greg, nice workmanship and this time you stayed in one peice :D :D :D

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline cprice9

« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2013, 07:09:56 pm »
diggin' this one back up.

First off, great builds...

That being said it has been a few years since this build and I just wanted to know if you are still racing in AHRMA and what else if anything you've done to the bike.  I am finishing a cafe style 550 build and am looking at a '69 350 for the sportsman class, just wanted to see what experience you could lend and see if you've raced it in any other classes or organizations.
My build, 1974 cb550:  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=112007.0

-to sleep late, have fun, get wild, drink whisky, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love and not getting arrested . . . Res ipsa loquitur. Let the good times roll.

Offline MotorFist

• Enthusiast
    • MotorFist
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2013, 10:42:07 pm »
Great thread and thanks for digging it back up! I just purchased a cl350 to race in the ahrma novice 350 class. Probably only get to race at Miller in Utah and if I'm lucky, willow too.
Just found a cb160 too! Also have an rd350 to build for ahrma. I'm going all in... One bike at a time :)
77 CB400 (Hers)
68 CB160
72 CL350
70 A65 Lightning
72 DT250
16 TE300

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2013, 04:01:07 pm »
+1 on keeping this thread alive ! He did a nice job on it;I love the Strong bracing he did on the frame.I wonder if he's still got it ?
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline ohiocaferacer

• Hot Shot
  • www.OHIOCAFERACERS.com
    • OHIO CAFE RACERS
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2013, 10:40:15 am »
Yep....still have it!!

That 2009 race at Barber actually turned out not to be a coil, but a broken cam. The end of the cam that is supported by the cam towers, broke off. Thats why one cyclinder wasnt working, valves werent opening.....was really weird. Motor is fixed now.

Raced again at Barber in 2010, with a different motor. Forgot to install my retainer for the clutch pushrod seal.......clutch pushrod seal blew out, then soaked my header wrap in oil. Result was an in race fire between my legs!!

Pic was taken during race, before I knew I was on fire.....she was smoke'n!!

On pit lane getting the fire extinguished.

Funny thing is......the fire did no damage to the bike, still looks good.
Here are a few more pics from racing at Barber that year. Was having alot of fun and enjoying the racing.

Passing on the outside.

Bike in the pits after the fire.

Havent done much racing in the last few years. Time with the family has just been more important.....kids are growing up too fast.
Thanks guys for bringing this thread back up.......fun to look back.

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2013, 11:14:03 am »
Hi Ohio,
    I love your CB350's !  ;) I wanted to ask you about the clutch pushrod seal "retainer";is that a Race Only necessary part ? I replaced mine on my CB350K4 twin w/o splitting the cases(squeezed it back in..)and it seems in there tight enough.I use my bike just for good road use,but run it on Interstates too.
Do you think I should install a retainer on my CB350 ?                                          What size is your engine bored out to ?
I did some mig welding on my frame along the backbone seams front & back & it seems much more stable.
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline ohiocaferacer

• Hot Shot
  • www.OHIOCAFERACERS.com
    • OHIO CAFE RACERS
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2013, 05:38:28 am »
That clutch pushrod retainer is only used on my racebikes, due to the fact that they are running at redline(high rmp) for long durations.
What happens is the crankcase gets pressurized and blows that seal out. Normal street bikes arent running at those high rpms long enough to build that much pressure.

Also....anyone planning on running with AHRMA in the 350 Sportman class, make sure you have a good motor. These guys are running fast in this class and you really need a built motor. Not just small modifications......but major work.....ie.....bigger cams.....HC domed pistons.....valve work.....intake work......bigger carbs.....better ignition. All those major mods, leads to smaller ones like.....roller bearings to support cam ends, etc.
Spend your money on motor work!

The few races I ran in Sportsman 350, I ran about mid-pack....with a lightly modified motor. If you go watch some races....feel free to stop into the pits and talk with a few of the top running guys. They wont tell you everything they have done to improve their motors, but will tell you enough to get you close. The rest is on you, to figure out......LOL!!

Offline ohiocaferacer

• Hot Shot
  • www.OHIOCAFERACERS.com
    • OHIO CAFE RACERS
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2013, 09:02:02 am »
Also....in case anyone is interested and uses Facebook often. I've recently started a FB page for the Ohio Cafe Racers group. I'm not an expert on this FB stuff, but if your in Ohio or just would like to keep up on the cafe stuff that we are doing.....drop in and like the page.