Author Topic: Tip from the archives: restoring the finish on your forks  (Read 1536 times)

Offline Glenn Stauffer

• SOHC/4 #3 - Member since 1994
  • Administrator
  • Expert
    • The SOHC/4 Owners Group
Tip from the archives: restoring the finish on your forks
« on: May 19, 2005, 02:15:46 am »
From Arlindo Nobre Ramos dos Santos:

To give a very original finish - Use 360, 600, 1000, 1200, 1500 wet and dry sand paper ( black ). Use the paper in sucession and in a dry condition througout the process. Start with the heavier grade ( 360 ) to sand blemishes and aluminium cancer ( the white stuff ) also to remove the old clear coat.When you reach the 1500 grade the result will be very good. Find the finnest grade of steel wool ( dont worry about claims of rust ) and hand polish the fork ( again dry ). The finish will look a bit shinny but dont worry as the clear coat will impart a velvet more dull finish. Clean the fork with benzine to take finger prints and spray a good quality clearcoat with fast hardener 3 to 4 evenly applied coats. Dont set your spray gun to fan spray or the clear coat will run. Keep your gun about 400/500 mm from the fork. The finish result can only be seen after a good 2 hours of drying as the clearcoat goes through various stages of shinny and dull. Only a expert will tell the difference between an original and this type of finishing.

Offline pmpski_1

• Hot Shot
  • Beast V and Beast I
    • My CB550 related blog on MSN Spaces
Re: Tip from the archives: restoring the finish on your forks
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2005, 10:07:55 am »
Maybe this should be obvious, but I want to make sure ... This is for the bottom of the forks, correct?

Thanks for the article!
Brian
Beast   I: 1974 CB550K
Beast IV: 1976 Chevy Blazer
Beast  V: 2003 Buell XB9S