Author Topic: Gear Change Pedal Spongy When I Go Down to First  (Read 889 times)

Offline gkoroneos

• GLK Creative
Gear Change Pedal Spongy When I Go Down to First
« on: October 15, 2013, 03:27:35 pm »
I've spent the past week aimlessly searching for an answer, but might be using the wrong terminology.

I bought a great condition 1975 CB750f and have it running almost flawlessly. The two problems I have might not be problems, but I don't know if they are normal.

First, the bike goes from first to fifth perfectly, hitting every rung. However, when I downshift and go down to first, the foot pedal gets all spongy. I don't know how to explain it. On my Bonneville, when I go down to first, I hit first with a solid click and it won't go any further. On this bike, I hit first (hear a clunk and it goes into first), but I can then push the pedal further and it's kinda spongy. It goes back up fine when I switch to neutral or second. I'm not sure if this is just a trait in Hondas (especially if they haven't been ridding in 20 years) or if something is broken.

Occasionally, I get stuck in neutral (even when the light is off) and I have to hit the pedal harder to go down to first.

Also, I have a rattle coming from the points/clutch area. I adjusted the points, nailed the timing, synced the carbs and the engine runs perfectly, except for that rattle.

Could something be broken in the clutch area and is just rattling?

Am I just crazy?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
Re: Gear Change Pedal Spongy When I Go Down to First
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 09:18:33 pm »
Check that the shifter is firmly clamped on the shaft splines; a loose clamp bolt and the resulting spline wear can lead to a sloppy feeling shifter.
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....