Elan's 76 CB750 Cafe.
12 (15%)
madScientist's CB750F Cafe.
20 (25%)
Oette's CB550 Cafe.
15 (18.8%)

Total Members Voted: 73

Voting closed: October 31, 2013, 09:00:04 pm

Author Topic: Vote for Bike of the Month - November 2013.  (Read 11031 times)

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
Vote for Bike of the Month - November 2013.
« on: October 15, 2013, 09:00:04 pm »
This is the last one for 2013, next month, all 11 winners will return for Bike of the Year, which of these 4 will join them.

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
Re: Vote for Bike of the Month - November 2013.
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 09:08:21 pm »
done..... 8)
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline Damfino

• Sneaky, Evil, Magnificent Bastard of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Look at the grouse! NYUK,NYUK,NYUK!
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 09:12:26 pm »
Your Message Here!
You can still call me 'Schmitty'

1976 CB 750
2014 CB 1100DLX
2015 Harley Davidson Freewheeler

You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy.
Charles Manson

You've got to watch your back in the SSDB, this is where the clever guys get bored with bike talk and make poo jokes.
I like my women a little big. Natural. Now, they shave this and wax that. It's not right. I love natural women. Big women. This trend in women has to go. Bulomia, anorexia. That's just wrong. You know what will cure that? My special sticky buns. One lick of my sticky buns and your appetite will come right back. ~ RIP Mr. Borgnine  01/24/1917 - 07/08/2012  :'(

Offline cheftuskey121

• Super Newbie
  • Expert
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 09:14:38 pm »
Harsh's Navy style cafe 750

Elan's modern style cafe 750

madscientist's cafe 750F

Oette's "Green Hornet" cafe 550

Offline cheftuskey121

• Super Newbie
  • Expert
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 09:15:28 pm »
thats got to be a record, 3 votes within minutes of opening the voting thread at midnight ;)

now, nominees, for those just coming in who haven't read through your killer build threads, can you give us some background, stories, build pics, and other finished pics to sway our votes.

I personally love EACH one of these bikes....not even sure I am going to vote. 4 cafes (and SAM not a black rim in sight!) good luck to the 4 contenders, its a good end to the BOTM this year :D
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 09:19:19 pm by cheftuskey121 »

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 09:20:25 pm »
One of these has been a favorite for some time.... ;)
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 09:20:53 pm »
4 votes in before Justin could get the pictures up, you are on the ball guys. 8)

Off to bed now. Thanks Justin.

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 09:30:23 pm »
TOUGH month. All deserving for sure.

Offline Damfino

• Sneaky, Evil, Magnificent Bastard of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Look at the grouse! NYUK,NYUK,NYUK!
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 05:28:05 am »
thats got to be a record, 3 votes within minutes of opening the voting thread at midnight ;)

4 votes in before Justin could get the pictures up, you are on the ball guys. 8)

NO FAIR!! You guy's are peeking!   ;D ;D
Your Message Here!
You can still call me 'Schmitty'

1976 CB 750
2014 CB 1100DLX
2015 Harley Davidson Freewheeler

You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy.
Charles Manson

You've got to watch your back in the SSDB, this is where the clever guys get bored with bike talk and make poo jokes.
I like my women a little big. Natural. Now, they shave this and wax that. It's not right. I love natural women. Big women. This trend in women has to go. Bulomia, anorexia. That's just wrong. You know what will cure that? My special sticky buns. One lick of my sticky buns and your appetite will come right back. ~ RIP Mr. Borgnine  01/24/1917 - 07/08/2012  :'(

Offline Oette

• Enthusiast
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 05:43:11 am »
Okay, I'll start with my story right now.

I bought this bike when I was 19 in 2011 just a few month before my A-level just to have something to work on while doing all that theoretical stuff. At that time I was naïve and thought I'd convert this thing into a caferacer with my pocket money within a year …

Within the following months I did minor works on the bike like disassembling, getting a not so rusty fork and carbs, some manual polishing works, clearing the triangle in the frame and so on.

The great change happened when I got an apprenticeship as a plant mechanic with an associated university course in mechanical engineering. From that point I had a bit more money, ideas and opportunities to convert the bike.

I collected more spare parts, seperated multiple engines and gave my motor, frame and some other parts away for blasting and powdercoating.

Since the old tank wasn't what I wanted to fit the bike I took a CX 500 tank from my fathers spare parts and welded new braces on it to fit the 550's frame properly.

Another step was the seat. I promised to offer my girlfriend a kind of “emergency seat”. You might have been wondering about its length and the pair of passenger footrests.
In fact I planned a seat with a hump since the beginning of the build. Because alloy parts were too expensive and I wanted to paint the bike either way I planned a steel construction.
But how to build a hump yourself if you aren't that familiar with bending and hammering metal sheets?
My solution was taking the tank of an old German moped, a Zundapp KS 50, and form it into the right shape.
With a pipe welded in the hump offered space for the lithium ion battery and my rear lights. Connected to a part of the original seat pan it fit properly and offered at least a bit of riding comfort.

I know, the edges of the hump are special and don't meet with the round shape of most caferacer humps but I saw the perfect compliment to the tank's shape in that form of hump.

Before

And the result after painting

Visiting a classic motorcycle race at Spa Francorchamps in Belgium I noticed some old Honda CB 500 and CB 750 racers with just a single tachometer. In that moment the idea of creating my own single-instrumented cockpit was born. At home I finally found an old digital Sigma bike speedometer (Why do these bike computers calculate up to 200mph? :-D). I took it apart to the display unit, connected some momentary switches to all necessary functions and placed them at the back of the tachometer's housing. For the right illumination I placed 3 SMD LEDs at the bottom of the gauge face.

Then I integrated all the control LEDs and the display unit (I meanwhile decided to go with the black display frame) into the gauge face. I have been really pleased by the results.

Using other lamp brackets for the also changed headlight, I made two new aluminium brackets to get the tachometer a bit lower. Also a new clear glass headlight has been adapted to the original headlight case.

Wiring took quite a time since electrics were new to me. Finally I managed to store the electrics into  a pan under the seat, the hump and the usual connections in the headlight case, except the rectifier which is mounted under the pan to offer enough cooling air.

Last winter I rebuilt the engine with the best parts of 3 engines, painting the cylinder black for a more classy look.

Finally I managed to marry the engine to the bike in spring and the race to completion began.
My goal was to get the bike on the street in the mid of the summer.

As soon as the wheels were installed with new alloy rims and stainless spokes and tires I started     manufacturing my own front fender out of an old Kawasaki plastic fender. I cut the alloy brackets, polished them and connected them to the fender with stainless rivets.

After assembling the most parts of the bike I managed to drive my first round around the block what  motivated me just more to finish it this year.
Video of my first round? Here it is, turn the volume up (for brake squealing  ::))...

First ride on my CB 550 Cafe Racer

Finally the parts were now ready to be painted. I did not want a black or silver paint. After going multiple times through my color list I decided to go for a metallic green with a black stripe. It's a tribute to the japan bikes of the 70's and 80's which had bright colors, too. I did not want to hide away the bike's origins with a abstruse color scheme. Some people already called the paint “kawasaki-ish” but let me tell you, it is not as bright as in the most pictures in reality.

I drove the bike for about 700 miles without a proper seat, in fact just on the bare powdercoated seat pan.

As the money reached out to do the final step, I finally got a well manufactured seat offering a bit of comfort and enough place for 1 ½ men or 1 man an a sweet pin-up girl ;-) (at least for some miles).

As some final information on the bike here are the changes made in a short list:

-Behr alloy rims with stainless spokes
-Shortened version of Benjiescaferacer's 4-2 exhaust system
-CX 500 E tank
-double disc conversion
-Koni shocks in the rear
-Wilbers progressive springs in the fork
-clear glass headlight
-Nissin radial brake mastercylinder
-forged alloy handlebars
-custom fender
-custom seat/hump/rearlight
-custom chainguard
-custom tach/speedometer-combination
-boxed swingarm
-air filter pods
-CB 650 oil pan for more oil capacity
-lithium-ion battery in hump
-some minor equipment and tweaks

So, that's my story. If anyone wants to see every pic and step I did on that bike visit my build-blog under http://cb550cafeit.blogspot.com.

Thanks for your patience!

« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 05:45:20 am by Oette »

Offline madScientist

• Hot Shot
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2013, 05:54:40 am »
My story...Well my dad and I bought this F in 1999 (i was 15) as a package deal with a 74 125S from an old farmer for $400. I got them both running although admittedly the F never ran 'right'. I still rode the crap out it. There was one time i rode it from St Louis to Macomb, IL with a bad clutch and a misfiring cylinder. Anyways i ran it up to about 2007 when I wanted something more reliable so I shelved the F in my parents barn (tisk tisk i know).
I always had aspirations of rebuilding it and doing it "right" so I never sold it. I also hadn't found this website yet. About a year and a half ago I started thinking of the old girl and rooting around the internet. That's when I found this place. After viewing, i think, close to all of the 'project builds' my mind was set. last July I went up to my parents, loaded her up, brought her down, and got to work.
NOTE: My dad still hasn't seen it but he's heard a LOT about it :-D. I will be riding it up to their house next week. He has a Hondamatic and a 76 GL1000 and has always appreciated the older Hondas.

My goal was to have a mildly hopped up SS but also be reliable. The other kink was that I wanted it to be a solo'd bike primarily but still have the option to ride two-up if the wife wanted to go. Hence why I called it a 'modular' build. I made it so i can run the cafe tail and when i want, put the stock seat back on with all the mount points. I had planned rear-sets but i think i prefer the stock foot position so I left it.

Engine work:
JE 836
JMR Stg2 head
Megacycle 165-25 cam
Mikuni RS34 carbs
Earls oil cooler with a CycleX adapter
Dual piston brakes on the front with SS lines all around
Nissin front MC, Brembo rear
AEM Wideband on the cluster for tuning
CycleX "Tri-Y" Exhaust

Pulling it out of the barn (isn't that fairing AWESOME?!):

I welded in the Gordons frame kit and started modifying the seat mount points to allow me to add and remove them depending on which seat i wanted to run with:

Glyptal'd the internals of the engine for additional oil cleanliness and flow

First day out of the basement:

First time firing it up!

[URL=http://s1291.photobucket.com/user/chaser012001/media/20130603_200908_zpsf2b5b7e9.jpg.html]

I kind of had my mind set on blue and silver after working on my buddies Shelby Cobra. I borrowed the colors from him. Since Branden's TAO was one of my inspirations I elected to use his paint scheme

« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 06:31:29 am by madScientist »
You CAN do great things...with enough beer.

78 cb750f
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=113293.0
70 CL350 Street Tracker / Cafe
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=125641.0
83 KZ1100ltd
76 GL1000
71 Kaw H2 (to be built)
77 cb750A (sold)
74 cb125s (sold)

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2013, 06:23:32 am »
Oette, on this forum we have a few un written rules.

#1, photographs/video or it didn't happen. This is our way of saying prove what you are telling us.

Please address this oversight on your behalf, your quote was.
(As the money reached out to do the final step, I finally got a well manufactured seat offering a bit of comfort and enough place for 1 ½ men or 1 man an a sweet pin-up girl ;-) (at least for some miles). )

Sam. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline Oette

• Enthusiast
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2013, 06:31:54 am »
Call me dumb but I didn't get the real message of your post  :-[

Oette, on this forum we have a few un written rules.

#1, photographs/video or it didn't happen. This is our way of saying prove what you are telling us.

Please address this oversight on your behalf, your quote was.
(As the money reached out to do the final step, I finally got a well manufactured seat offering a bit of comfort and enough place for 1 ½ men or 1 man an a sweet pin-up girl ;-) (at least for some miles). )

Sam. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 06:34:32 am by Oette »

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2013, 06:54:35 am »
hahahahahaa.....We don't believe you have a pin up girl friend, we need proof, we need pictures.

Sam. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline Oette

• Enthusiast
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2013, 07:10:23 am »
Girlfriend and Pin-Up are two different shoes  ;) but let's see if I can manage it to get her on the bike for a photo soon...

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2013, 07:37:33 am »
We old ones need you young ones to remind us what life was like back in the day when our Hondas were new and we all had pin up girl friends. I hope yours don't turn out like mine.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline Harsh

• Expert
  • 74 CB750 and two 72 CB350's
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2013, 10:06:00 am »
Unfortunately, I am no where near my bike since I am on the opposite coast so I can't get better pictures of it in its completed form.

Where to begin?  Well I guess from the very beginning.  I acquired the bike from my neighbor that lived across the street from me.  He had it and a CB400 sitting outside, uncovered for at least 5 years.  I tried numerous times over the years to buy one of them from him, but he always declined stating he was going to “fix them up”.  The day came where he was going to move across the country so like a good neighbor I helped him load up his stuff.  The bikes were the first thing on the trailer.  However, the next morning when I looked outside to check on the things I noticed the 750 was off the trailer and some mattresses were in its place.  I went outside to see what the deal was and he hollered at me “Happy early Christmas…it is yours”.  Needless to say I was ecstatic and so began my journey.

My neighbor received the bikes as payment for some work he had done so he didn’t know anything about their history and did not have a title.  It took a little over two months to acquire a title, but it is somewhat easy to do so in Virginia.  As soon as I pushed the bike across the street to my garage I noticed the forks were bent.  I was lucky and scored a 75 GL1000 front end and rear wheel from a local guy.  Not knowing the history of the bike I decided to completely rebuild the engine.  I broke it down to parade rest and replaced every rubber piece and chains.  I really liked the look of the polished fins so I whipped out my trusty die grinder and went to town. 

I replaced the controls with a set from a 2007 Triumph Daytona 675.  Figuring out the difference in wiring was a bit of a pain, but I finally figured it out.  I prefer the feel of shorty levers and since none are made for these old bikes I had to change the clutch perch and master cylinder to something that would allow me to use them.  I settled on a clutch perch from a 2006 GSXR 750 and a master cylinder from a 2011 GSXR 750.

The gauges were rebuilt and I changed the faces to something a little nicer to look at and installed some LED halos for lighting.  I trailered the bike up to Slingshot Cycles and had a set of custom brake lines made.  The swingarm was sent off to hondaman to be rebuilt and the carbs were sent to SOHCdigger for him to work his magic on.  When I got the bike it didn’t have an exhaust system at all.  I got lucky and scored a set of Dick’s Cycle West headers and paired them with a reverse cone muffler from Cone Engineering.

Just about everything that is metal was powder coated.  The engine, tank, front fender, headlight bucket, side covers, and seatpan are the only items that were painted.

The tank was graciously given to me by Nomad since the tank that was on the bike when I got it was ruined by a previous owner.  It was nasty inside and out, but a lot of work and scrubbing and I was able to get it into excellent condition.

About the theme of the bike.  I am in the Navy and have been for a little over 23 years.  When I started the build I planned on retiring in July of 2014 at my 24 year mark.  I wanted to build something as a gift to myself for when I retired.  However, I was promoted to Senior Chief while I was building the bike so I am allowed to serve for a little while longer.  Somewhere in the middle of the build I thought I was going to have to quit and sell everything do to a medical condition the reared its ugly head.  Somehow I managed to rupture three discs and had another two that were bulging in my neck.  I thought all hopes of ever riding again were gone.  Thankfully the docs fixed me up and I was able to continue.  When I started I didn’t have a hard set deadline or budget.  I was going to build as I had time and money.  I spent my first dollar Sept 29, 2011 and I finished (do we really ever) October 6, 2013.  So I have dedicated a little over two years building the bike.  It has sort of been like raising a child.  Lots of pain and heartache, but in the end it was well worth it.

I tried to utilize members as much as I could for parts and services.  The seat pan is from Whiteorbs, Honda stickers on the tank are from myhondas, gauge faces from BCBarker, brake lines Slingshot Cycles, Frankenstuff side covers, Hondaman swingarm, and SOHCDigger carbs.  Not to be forgotten is Stev-o and bjbuchanan.  Stev-o is the one who prompted me to make a build thread and bj let me borrow his crimping tool when I was building the electrical system.  Then there is everyone one the site who answered my questions or provided some form of information on the site.  I could not have built this bike without all of the information and knowledge the members of this site have provided.  It would be an amazing birthday present to have my bike win BOTM this month.

What I started with.  There were a number of parts that were missing.

Ready to start the teardown.

Going back together.

All back together and painted.

Sexy Sexy gauges

And my girls.

I laced the wheels and mounted the tires.

All powdercoat

Little details

All together

She runs and handles great.

Sonic straight rate springs
Hagon rear shocks
Pamco ignition
Swingarm by Hondaman
Carbs by SOHCDigger
Brake light is from a Ford Type 65 coupe
Buchanan SS Spokes
75 GL1000 front end and wheels
Controls from a 07 Triumph Daytona 675
Clutch perch 2006 GSXR 750
Master cylinder 2011 GSXR 750
Bosch H4 headlight
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 03:37:10 am by Harsh »

Offline SOHC4 Cafe Racer Fan

• Speak up, Whipper-Snapper! I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC/4 Member #1235
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2013, 10:12:45 am »
This is a tough one.  I am torn between at least two bikes.  Bravo to those in the running for making it a difficult vote.

Great action/riding photo, Harsh!
1975 CB550K1 "Blue" Stockish Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=135005.0)
1975 CB550F1 frame/CB650 engine hybrid "The Hot Mess" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,150220.0.html)
2008 Triumph Thruxton (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,190956.0.html)
2014 MV Agusta Brutale Dragster 800
2015 Yamaha FZ-09 (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,186861.0.html)

"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them — but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one.... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba." Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature, Cycle World, March 1995.  (http://www.latexnet.org/~csmith/sausage.html and https://magazine.cycleworld.com/article/1995/3/1/song-of-the-sausage-creature)

Sold/Emeritus
1973 CB750K2 "Bionic Mongrel" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132734.0) - Sold
1977 CB750K7 "Nine Lives" Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=50490.0) - Sold
2005 RVT1000RR RC51-SP2 "El Diablo" - Sold
2016+ Triumph Thruxton 1200 R (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,170198.0.html) - Sold

Offline Oette

• Enthusiast
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2013, 01:52:06 pm »
Harsh, your bike has really unique and neat details! Sweet ride.

Offline tweakin

• tear down
  • Master
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2013, 04:05:37 pm »
Voted, can't say no to an F...

Offline MiGhost

• What was that about being an
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2013, 10:35:42 pm »
1 vote is just not enough for this month. Very nicely done on all four!
~ Ghost

Grey Ghost '80 CB650C: Updated Stock Restomod. Period Custom Cruiser (OEM harbags & trunk, Wixom Ranger fairing, Jardine turnouts)
Bad Moon '83 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim: Full Dress Tour Deluxe w/ X-1 Fairing

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2013, 02:10:10 pm »
Lots of nice details in all the bikes this month, tough choice. 
1977 CB550/4 Cafe - Speed Warrior / BOTM 03/11
1980 CB750F (project)
Whittaker GBF Vintage Racing Sidecar (XS750 power) - ITG / 151's / CMR Racing Products (SOLD)
1976 CB400 SS - stock / BOTM 04/11 (SOLD)
1973 CB750 K - basket case (SOLD)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2013, 10:14:14 pm »
1+ Tough choices this month!!
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline cheftuskey121

• Super Newbie
  • Expert
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2013, 05:14:22 am »
get your votes in guys! last BOTM this year before we do BOTY. only 48 votes so far. lets step it up! thanks for all who've voted so far

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2013, 08:19:10 am »
Voted! Good luck to all and all great builds
1969 Honda CB750... Basket case
1970 Honda CB750 survivor.