Author Topic: Its time for 'airport-like' security at public schools.  (Read 3026 times)

Offline flybox1

• My wife thinks I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
Its time for 'airport-like' security at public schools.
« on: October 21, 2013, 12:11:01 pm »
and yes, i'll pay higher taxes for it.
This isn't a gun argument.  That argument has no end.

done... >:(

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/10/21/21064166-student-opens-fire-at-nevada-middle-school-killing-teacher-shooter-dead?lite
'78 750K (F3 engine) PD42b's, Modified airbox w/K&N  filter, 40/110 jets, 1 needle shim, IMS@ 1 turn out. Kerker + Cone 18" QuietCore

Past Bikes
1974 550K0 (stock), 1973 CB350F (stock), 1983 Yamaha XS400K (POS)
77/78 cool 2 member #3
"Knowledge without mileage equals bullsh!t" - Henry Rollins

"This is my CB. There are many like it, but this one is mineā€¦"

Offline bikerbart

• Master
Re: Its time for 'airport-like' security at public schools.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 03:56:42 pm »
And people ask me why I moved to Canada .
its better to regret something you have done,than something you havent.Except playing with explosives.

Offline Duke McDukiedook

• Space Force 6 Star General
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Wish? Did somebody say wish?
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 08:36:12 am »
No thanks, TSA airport bump 'n grope security is a major reason I don't fly anymore.
I sure as hell would not want to see that type of insanity in public buildings.
"Well, Mr. Carpetbagger. We got somethin' in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."   Josey Wales

"It's Baltimore, gentlemen. The gods will not save you." Ervin Burrell

CB750 K3 crat | (2) 1986 VFR750F

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 01:18:36 pm »
Couldn't possibly be a gun problem by any chance.... :o
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline dusterdude

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 04:05:39 pm »
Not at all,its a people problem.if i met you,i wouldnt shoot you.the gun doesnt go off until someone pulls the trigger,it takes a person to do that
mark
1972 k1 750
1949 fl panhead
1 1/2 gl1100 goldwings
1998 cbr600 f3

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 04:15:59 pm »
Not at all,its a people problem.if i met you,i wouldnt shoot you.the gun doesnt go off until someone pulls the trigger,it takes a person to do that

It also takes a gun....
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

scrapvalue

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 04:21:33 pm »
The highest crime rates in the USA are in Washington DC and Chicago.
Which two cities in the USA have the toughest gun control laws?

Offline Xnavylfr

• Expert
  • Beers, Babes and bikes since 1965
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 04:26:07 pm »
Airport security=   For maintenance workers , we had a barcode scan card to enter ANY entry gate (some were even secure to us without SPECIAL) need.
At schools= scan cards for students and employees ONLY. If you had to pick up your child early then have a secure keypad outside and you have to enter student ID# and a password for that student to be called to the office!!!
Too many schools still open enough for anyone to enter just by saying I'm here to pick up my kid for a DRs appt.

Xnavylfr(CHUCK)

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 04:33:13 pm »

What about Detroit Michigan, flint Michigan and Oakland California..?  plenty of others up there or above Washington , actually Flint is the worst buy some margin......? Its not the laws that cause that, its the easy availability of guns everywhere in the US... We can pick and choose but up against the rest of the world your gun statistics are appalling...
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

Offline mark

• finds nothing amusing about being an
  • Old Timer
  • we're out here and this is where we are.
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, 10:34:42 am »

What about ... Oakland California..?  ...

If you're gonna get shot that's the place to do it. Folks at Highland Hospital have more gunshot wound experience than Army medics. If anyone can put ya back together it's them.

;)

1976 CB550K, 1973 CB350G, 1964 C100

F you mark...... F you.

Offline demon78

• Old Timer
  • After work to the "Wets"
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2013, 10:58:01 am »
I think if I had to live in a place that needed armed guards in schools I would leave, the bit about the "good guys" will offset the "bad guys doesn't seem to work to well the bad guys will always get through ie Archduke Ferdinand.
,,Bill the demon.

Offline LesterPiglet

• Old Timer
  • 1977 CB550F2
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2013, 10:58:42 am »
And if any of your bits get blown off come to Belfast and get them glued on again. :)
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Draw and drawer. Could care less/couldn't care less. Bought/brought FFS.

Les Ross.            Certified by a Professional

scrapvalue

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2013, 06:15:19 pm »

What about Detroit Michigan, flint Michigan and Oakland California..?  plenty of others up there or above Washington , actually Flint is the worst buy some margin......? Its not the laws that cause that, its the easy availability of guns everywhere in the US... We can pick and choose but up against the rest of the world your gun statistics are appalling...

The places with the least amount of gun control have the lowest crime rates.     It isn't rocket science.

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2013, 07:37:36 pm »

The places with the least amount of gun control have the lowest crime rates.     It isn't rocket science.

Rubbish, absolute rubbish, you need to travel abroad sometime mate..... ::)  We have far more restrictive gun laws than anywhere in the US and you are still, on average, 15 times more likely to be shot in the US than here, Your gun statistics, whether there is control or not are disgustingly high when compared to almost anywhere else on earth and a clear winner in the civilized world.
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

Offline JeffSTL

• Hot Shot
  • CB750 K6
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2013, 08:55:10 pm »
I think if I had to live in a place that needed armed guards in schools I would leave

I would like to. Can you put in a good word for me in Canada?

Offline BeSeeingYou

• Old Timer
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2013, 11:14:49 pm »

I think you are just spouting off talking points here.

In cities of 250,000 or more there are about 12 cities that have a higher murder rate than Chicago.  Just as an example, Atlanta leads Chicago in every crime statistic  per capita (100,000 people).  It's the only fair way to measure crime as Chicago has 2.7 million vs. Atlanta with 440,000.  New York with it's stricter gun laws has a murder rate that ranks 12 or 13th lowest and ranks towards the bottom in other crime rates too.  Omaha and Tulsa have twice the murder rate of New York, Oklahoma City almost three times as high, New York is even lower than Wichita and Denver. Not sure what the gun laws are in those cities but I would guess not as tight as New York.   

18 cities (250,000+) where ahead of Washington D.C. in murder rates though the other crime rates are at Atlanta levels. Detroit and New Orleans have the highest murder rates followed by St Louis, Baltimore, Newark,  Oakland, Stockton, Kansas City, Philly, Cleveland, Memphis, and Atlanta.  A real cross section of the country.   

Just another example of American Exceptualism. ::)  It doesn't even surprise or shock me anymore...we are a fuked up country with fuked up values.  Why address the root causes when we can just make it an armed camp with strip searches, metal detectors, armed guards where ever you go.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 07:38:39 am by srust58 »

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2013, 04:57:55 am »
ok,so when i come over to america,when do i get my gun?
The Simpsons - Gun Shop
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 04:59:40 am by dave500 »

Offline Bailgang

• Scott
  • Old Timer
  • Indiana
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2013, 05:18:02 am »
Just another example of American Exceptualism. ::)  It doesn't even surprise or shock me anymore...we are a fuked up country with fuked up values.  Why address the root causes when we can just make it an armed camp with strip searches, metal detectors, armed guards where ever you go.

+1
Unfortunately I have to agree with that. I can't argue that easy access to guns isn't an issue but it seems to me that it's happening more and more often and something else is going on that we're ignoring because we're focusing all the attention on the gun itself. Something very very wrong is going on in our society and until that's addressed this violence will continue regardless of how strict you make gun laws or how secure you make public places. If we're going to blame the gun then we also need to be spending just as much time asking why the idiot that pulled the trigger looked at the lives of their victims as if they were disposable. I don't see society asking that question let alone doing anything about it and that scares me more than anything. A gun is just a tool, a very affective tool I admit but it's still just a tool these idiots use and if you take away that tool then they'll just find another tool. The math teacher that was recently slain in Nevada was slain by a 14 year old student armed with nothing more than a box cutter knife.

Edit- I meant math teacher in Massachusetts.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 05:49:11 am by Bailgang »
Scott

71 cb350 twin
77 cb750 F2
83 gl1100 Interstate

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2013, 05:34:50 am »
Back in the day in Czechoslovakia this woman wanted to kill as many people as possible.  She stole a truck and run into people at a tram stop.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olga_Hepnarov%C3%A1

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2013, 05:44:13 am »
guns arent violent,theres no violence about guns being fired,whats so violent about just shooting someone?violence is slashing and chopping up with an axe or sword or the like?or baseball batting a head or similar,now thats a bit violent,or driving through pedestrians with a truck,i think thats violent,if you poison someone thats not violent but it kills them just the same,even a poison dart isnt violent,or a bow and arrow,but if you beat someone to death with a bow or a gun,now thats violent!

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2013, 06:13:05 am »
All of the big cities with major gun violence have a problem with gangs and drugs and turf wars etc. Basically a bunch of people who don't want to, or can't find real work. Their idols are rappers and such who glorify guns and the thug like mentality. Its a cultural and social issue more than a gun issue. Here is an interesting report among the many others out there  http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/fv9311.pdf
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 06:26:22 am by ekpent »

Offline BeSeeingYou

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2013, 07:45:42 am »
guns arent violent,theres no violence about guns being fired,whats so violent about just shooting someone?

Seek help Dave and please don't come here looking for a gun.  We have enough problems already.

Offline bikerbart

• Master
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2013, 07:54:16 am »
I've had bits blown off, Not fun. Always wanted to go to belfast. Have a pint or 2.
its better to regret something you have done,than something you havent.Except playing with explosives.

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2013, 07:57:51 am »
All of the big cities with major gun violence have a problem with gangs and drugs and turf wars etc. Basically a bunch of people who don't want to, or can't find real work. Their idols are rappers and such who glorify guns and the thug like mentality. Its a cultural and social issue more than a gun issue. Here is an interesting report among the many others out there  http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/fv9311.pdf
That's right. (your link wouldn't open for me, still...) 13% of our pop is black. 50% of our homicides are committed by blacks. Lest you think its a retribution issue, 90% of those homicides are black v black. Of the 13% total, 90% of homicides are committed by the 16 to 22 age group. About 30% of the total 13%. Our stats would look a lot different with demographics like other countries claiming better statistics. A high % of that age group is shot multiple times before the fatal one.

Not to mention the culture that encourages violence. The number of guns is irrelevant. IMO.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline bikerbart

• Master
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2013, 08:03:00 am »
guns are for cowards. We have not learned to reason thus far , so , there will always be violence. The lowest common denominator. Its society, we have no morals or ethics for that matter. Its the one point that made me not want kids. Too late, I have one now. I have to look at the glass is half full now, although I truly have no  faith in humans, look what we have done in the name of greed. Its getting worse today, look at the income or wealth distribution in this country. Poverty causes violence, yet there is plenty to go around for the entire planet. Sad. truly shameful.