Author Topic: Noisy bottom end  (Read 1066 times)

Offline cpmaynard1980

Noisy bottom end
« on: October 22, 2013, 07:29:27 pm »
pics of my bike are in the new member page. It has an 843 kit or something like that. electronic ignition, cam, 4 into 1 header, ect. it runs and rides well. Only problems are im getting a little oil and the bottom end is noisy at idle. The previous owner told me that the primary chain was lose and they just get that way since they are old. Noisy bottom end-ish area. Is this normal?

Offline bjbuchanan

• Master
Re: Noisy bottom end
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 07:41:00 pm »
Primary chains don't tend to make as much noise on 750 and 750 variants as much as say a 550. Start it up and pull in the clutch, same noise level?

Sync your carbs up, does the noise get better? It is kinda funny but they do sound like a tough sewing machine when synced and running right. If you are used to modern cars/bikes it won't be as quiet. Shouldn't sound like a rattle trap but still. Post up a decent video if you want some more help. Also the oil could be coming from anywhere, where do you get drips, runs?
The dirty girl-1976 cb750k, Ebay 836, Tracy bodykit
Round top carbs w/ 38 pilots, middle needle position, airscrew 7/8ths out, 122 main jet
Stock airbox w/ drop in K&N, Hooker 4-1

Don't trust me alone with a claw hammer and some pliers

Offline cpmaynard1980

Re: Noisy bottom end
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 06:04:21 am »
Sorry I wasnt clear on the oil issue. The oil is on the #1 spark plug. It runs pretty good but sometimes it will smoke. The guy i got it from said when the top end was done the head was shaved a little to make it flat again. Every thing was put together and if ran great for a bit then started not sounding right so he pulled the motor again and took the head off and said that that there was spots where the valves just touched the pistons. he said it didnt damage anything. he said that he put on a thicker base gasket to raise the cylinders a little and what he called a triple head gasket. He said I may need to pull the engine to find where the smoke is coming from and that I could reuse the head gasket.