Author Topic: magneto and kickback-onboard starter W/big motor?  (Read 2333 times)

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
magneto and kickback-onboard starter W/big motor?
« on: October 23, 2013, 11:17:13 am »
 The drag bike I've been posting about has an ARD mag. I learned turning the timing back will improve the odds of kick starting it.  The question is, when the kicker is stuck after having this issue what is usually broken  and are there any improvements I can make to the kick start it's self to prolong it's life in a large CC engine.
 I'm planning on splitting the cases and may shim the cylinder a bit to lessen the compression a little. I'd love to be able to start and ride it a little but not as a street bike. Just a cacklefest or show bike.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 06:09:27 am by Don R »
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline sohc boy

• Hot Shot
Re: magneto and kickback
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 03:30:47 pm »
I used the early version ARD like yours for lota yr's , street an strip , 11.1.. 35 38 timing ,yea real b*****t to start, smashed my knee, an foot several times ..an got over it ..... if kick start is stuck ,shaft is prob bent , i snaped one off once ,improving the shaft ? dont know , i changed it electric start for street ,big battery ,timing at 30, GSXR starter , 900 bol d'or starter gears
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 03:56:01 pm by sohc boy »
i live by the voice inside my head

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 09:09:47 pm »
 I prefer the electric start idea. I rope started a briggs jr dragster engine on alky for a while. I broke a few of those WKA recoil starters. That could be what led to having hand surgery. L0L. After I bought a remote starter my life was much better.
 Is there any build info on the starter swap or was that a custom one time only deal? That sounds like a great idea. I'd leave the kicker off if I could do that.

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 09:13:52 pm »
 Got rollers.  We are starting my 750 on rollers on you tube somewhere
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline BLUE71TURBO

• Master
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 10:36:00 pm »
 Here is an article i found awhile back about a Honda starter to be used in a Kawi.  I'm not sure if this would apply to a cb750 but
 i would think so since it is a Honda part.   ;)

http://www.dragbike.com/forum/showthread.php?63491-HONDA-STARTER-FOR-KZ-1000-BETTER-STARTING
Remember; Before you can be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid !

Offline BLUE71TURBO

• Master
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 10:48:16 pm »
I used the early version ARD like yours for lota yr's , street an strip , 11.1.. 35 38 timing ,yea real b*****t to start, smashed my knee, an foot several times ..an got over it ..... if kick start is stuck ,shaft is prob bent , i snaped one off once ,improving the shaft ? dont know , i changed it electric start for street ,big battery ,timing at 30, GSXR starter , 900 bol d'or starter gears

Yes, those earlier A.R.D. mags are knee busters.   >:(   I experienced that trying to start a high compressioned 900cc engine in a Denvers chopper at my friends shop.  I was at a weird angle, stretched and kicking and WHAM !  My knee came flying up and smacked me right in the jaw !   :'( :'( :'(   Good thing my tongue wasn't hanging out !   :o   That's why i have the latest and best A.R.D. CDM mag on mine. It has a toggle switch to lock out the advance, then when the bike starts you just flip the swith to on and off you go.   ;D
Remember; Before you can be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid !

Offline sohc boy

• Hot Shot
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 01:09:23 am »
yea the 438 ... bold'or starter fits straight in , from memory the 1100 F or 1100R is the better with 4 brush set up ,GSXR is better still ,gota make small plate to adapt to case
i live by the voice inside my head

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 05:33:06 am »
The drag bike I've been posting about has an ARD mag. I learned turning the timing back will improve the odds of kick starting it.  The question is, when the kicker is stuck after having this issue what is usually broken  and are there any improvements I can make to the kick start it's self to prolong it's life in a large CC engine.
 I'm planning on splitting the cases and may shim the cylinder a bit to lessen the compression a little. I'd love to be able to start and ride it a little but not as a street bike. Just a cacklefest or show bike.

There is a one way pawl on the lick starter mechanism that allows it to lock in when you kick start the bike while the spring itself return the kick start back to its normal position. If that pawl breaks, the kick starter will not engage and sometimes gets stuck in the downward position. I've broken numerous of these things in my 1030 motor. Not much you can do about a stronger piece. If you use the onboard DOHC starter, i'd suggest you wire it for 24volts.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 05:37:21 am »
Awesome, It's on the back burner until december now, My shop partner and  I have an alky funny car to front half before december but now I can make a plan and gather some parts.

Offline Big Jay

• Expert
    • CBRzone
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, 03:38:51 pm »
We used to get the Harley guys with their rollers to start us.

Offline BPellerine

• Master
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2013, 04:59:44 pm »
saw a clip of an auto cb750 bored to 850 with the ard fm mag kick only started first kick .not high comp but not a knee breaker either.bill
1978 CB 750K ard and webers
another anfob