Author Topic: Removal of exhaust studs  (Read 1040 times)

Offline theulsterman

Removal of exhaust studs
« on: November 09, 2013, 12:12:45 pm »
I am in the process of building exhausts for a CR build, I have  bought Swarbrick headers and using spanish made megas. Having used an F1 as my donor bike I had the later flanges and the double threaded studs. Straight forward I thought, just take them out ,get early K spigots and the star head bolts. Totally wrong, I couldnt budge them, I hit them sharp cracks,  double nutted them to no avail. After a while I had a brainwave. I got a piece of flatbar, drilled an 8 mm hole and mig welded it to the studs, brilliant they all moved, I simply cut off the flat bar from the studs and removed the stud. Thought I would share my experience, hope it helps someone, regards Kenny

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: Removal of exhaust studs
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 02:05:40 pm »
Good thinking.

Offline Kickstart

• Expert
Re: Removal of exhaust studs
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 09:22:53 pm »
The process of mig welding them probably helped the most.

I was able to get all of mine out really easily thanks to a tip from my machinist: 
Place the head on an electrical griddle (kind used for making pancakes and such) for cook it for 30-45 minutes.

It worked really well - double nutted and they came off relatively easy.

Of course, you have to take the head off  :)

I also used the same trick to help remove the cylinder studs: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=107713.0;attach=198211;image
No snapped studs!
- Chris
75' CB750F Orange flake (rider)
75' CB750F Blue (Project)
75' CB750F Painted black (Project)
No Reserve Racing #171 AHRMA