Author Topic: Shameless plug for stuff I wrote in Motorcycle Classics  (Read 1179 times)

Offline Skonnie Boy

• Cold cock
  • Hot Shot
  • Life is not like a box of chocolates.
Shameless plug for stuff I wrote in Motorcycle Classics
« on: October 25, 2013, 06:15:14 pm »
Man, I'm not on here as much as I used to be. Lotta new faces here. Heya kids.

Maybe the sohc4.net search feature answered all my questions? Or maybe I've developed an obsession with the Dark Side, an H1 500 triple I just picked up? Or maybe I pooped out a kid (or better yet, the wife) and I sold the bikes for a minivan? Nope, yes and nope – in order.

I just spent the last couple of months doing track days, earning an AHRMA race license and engaging in the friendliest and most half-assed type of motorsports possible for working schlubs – Vintage bike racing with AHRMA. I didn't crash, win, or do anything all that noteworthy except write an article suggesting that you too can do the same, provided you find some cheap small displacement Honda twins. It's called "The View From the Cheap Seat" and it's all here in the latest issue of Motorcycle Classics.

http://www.motorcycleclassics.com/classic-motorcycle-events/motorcycle-racing-ahrma-zm0z13ndzbea.aspx#axzz2immJjL8g 

Obviously, feel free to buy as many fine paper issues as your arms can carry. They make great bird cage liner, though they suck at soaking up oil spills in the garage. They're a great magazine and resource, even though they're not made of thousands of educated, opinionated moto-nuts like sohc4.net is.

At any rate, just shamelessly plugging. Hope you dig it,

Anders

"Yeah, I'm hip about time. But I just gotta go."

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
Re: Shameless plug for stuff I wrote in Motorcycle Classics
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 08:32:25 pm »
Cool and it's nice to hear from you again.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 05:35:24 am »
I subscribe to that mag and just recently read that article while sitting on the Golden Throne  ;D  I enjoyed it very much and thought it sounded like a great adventure. The Chicago guys sounded like they took you in well and you made some good friends and got to drink lots of beer  ;)  Nice that your wife was able to be a part of it with you also. I also liked the Gratten connection since I have a friend that was a good racer up there.
   Good luck if you continue on with the racing and very good writing, keep that up also.  Eric

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 05:54:42 am »
Good stuff, writing and riding well done...Larry

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 07:28:01 am »
Hey Skonnie - I read the article last week and enjoyed it.  Now I wanna race!
You're a very talented writer, I remember your honeymoon article too. 

Did you buy an H1? (I was looking for one)
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Lost and Confused

• Bob
  • Enthusiast
  • An old fart !!
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 07:52:40 am »
A very good read, enjoyed it.   Thanks Bob

Offline Skonnie Boy

• Cold cock
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 05:12:14 pm »
Don! Howya doin'? How's your brother? Well, I hope.

Yeah, I bought a '75 H1. Bent frame, needs a rebore and had a cooking pot for an ignition cover. What can I say, I just ran out of things to fix on the 750. Tired of all that Honda over-engineering and reliability anyway.

Definitely gonna try and hit Grattan next year, so if anybody sees me, say hey and I'll prolly have a beer with your name on it.

Anders

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 09:32:03 pm »
Don! Howya doin'? How's your brother? Well, I hope.

Yeah, I bought a '75 H1. Bent frame, needs a rebore and had a cooking pot for an ignition cover. What can I say, I just ran out of things to fix on the 750. Tired of all that Honda over-engineering and reliability anyway.

Definitely gonna try and hit Grattan next year, so if anybody sees me, say hey and I'll prolly have a beer with your name on it.

Anders
My brother is still kicking, he doesn't work in the shop much. He's getting his 70 Dodge dart painted and is riding the wing. His 750 needs work so he bought a K2  with 836 that needs work too. I'm trying to get the carbs right for him but it's a tough one. I picked up a sandcast and a drag bike, the drag bike is for resale it's going nicely.
 Bud was a kawi mechanic. He did his time on the 2 strokes. The only thing I remember is there are several ignitions.
 He has the magazine, I get them second hand.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 09:33:40 pm by Don R »
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2013, 12:24:01 am »
Skonnie, that was a good mag article.  Maybe I need to hang at the same parties to get me racing...sure feel like I am getting to fast for the streets.  I know one of the guys in your pics, friend of a friend sort of deal, think he usually goes by Chris?  ...probably weigh too much to have any fun on a cb160 but I have a cl350 that should be handy...but need encouragement
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2013, 01:46:20 am »
good writing man!

Offline buckett

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2013, 04:36:51 am »
Great read.

Offline Bailgang

• Scott
  • Old Timer
  • Indiana
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2013, 05:50:20 am »
Great article. Your article accurately described the experience my youngest son had earlier this summer at Putnam Park road course in Greencastle Indiana. It was my sons very first track day and the first time he was able to let his cbr600 loose on a legit road course and he had a blast not to mention he learned a lot from the more experienced riders and instructors who were more than willing help. It was a great experience and after watching my kid have all the fun that day I started looking at my cb500 from a track bike point of view ........... but the wife said no.  :-X
Scott

71 cb350 twin
77 cb750 F2
83 gl1100 Interstate

Offline Bankerdanny

• Eventually I will be old enough in reality to be
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2013, 08:02:34 am »
Well done Anders, that makes 2 articles in MC. I shared it with my Facebook friends.

I would point out though that the CL175 is a scrambler, so the pipes are correct for that model.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Current: '76 CB750F. Previous:  '75 CB550F, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000, '77 CB550k, '68 Suzuki K10 80, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, '89 Yamaha FJ1200

Offline Skonnie Boy

• Cold cock
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2013, 10:36:49 pm »
Yeah, track days are the perfect tonic to riding in Chicago. Riding in this town is so pointless, no wonder we spend most of out time drinking beer and rebuilding bikes in our garage. It's really the only satisfying relationship you can have with your bike here.

Right you is, scrambler pipes are stock. Really helps keep your left ankle toasty warm.

Three articles, but who's counting? Answer: me. I am nothing if not a small man with a large chip on his small shoulders.

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2013, 03:39:40 am »
Way cool!  Keep it up  ;D