Author Topic: 1975 CB400f...18years in the woods...what am i in for?  (Read 1817 times)

Offline setdog

• Hot Shot
1975 CB400f...18years in the woods...what am i in for?
« on: November 08, 2013, 05:05:46 pm »
So a friend and I just pulled a long forgotten 75 cb400f (408cc) out of a junkyard, only one in there, and its a wreck but were doing to tear it down and find out, cost 200 bucks.  Anyway, we know
Little about the availability of parts, or difficulty resurrecting this little gem.

Anyone got any experience bringing one of these back from the dead??
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 05:08:00 pm by setdog »
My toolbox consists mainly of hammers.

76 CB 200T. (sold)
75 CB 750 K5. (sold)
74 CB 750 K4. (current rider)
73 CB 750 K3. (build)

https://www.youtube.com/user/setdog100

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
Re: 1975 CB400f...18years in the woods...what am i in for?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 05:23:09 pm »
I've resurrected 8 ;).   Is there a title? ...Larry   Put up some photos

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 06:16:56 pm »
When I was looking at a 400F this summer that needed quite a bit I checked to see what the used part market was like and definitely did not look as well stocked as the CB750 which had a lot longer run with more units sold.

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 06:48:06 pm »
When I was looking at a 400F this summer that needed quite a bit I checked to see what the used part market was like and definitely did not look as well stocked as the CB750 which had a lot longer run with more units sold.

True, however, DSS has been reproducing quite a few bits and pieces, but that can put  a restoration way over a cost effective budget(like mine, I'm cheap).  I find it more cost effective to buy another bike for spare parts...Larry

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 06:51:40 pm »
Yes I checked them out a little Larry and after weighing the risks of a non runner and their price on some things needed got a little gun shy on my offer and somebody else wanted it more than I. Be nice to have a baby Four around though.

Offline fmctm1sw

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 06:52:19 pm »
There was a guy selling two beat up 400Fs at Barber's this year for a few hundred bucks.  All the usual good parts were missing though, exhaust, tank, side covers, etc..
Quote from: 754
Dude is that a tire ? or an O-ring..??

Quote from: inkscars
This is not a pod thread
This is not a #$%* on my vacuum gauges thread
This is a help or GTFO thread.

1973 CB350F
1973 CB350G
1975 CB550K
1983 GL650I
1973 CB750K3 (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=92888.0)
1984 Kawasaki KLT-250 (AKA 3 wheeler of death)
1994 Honda TRX300
1999 Honda TRX250

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 07:01:38 pm »
Yes I checked them out a little Larry and after weighing the risks of a non runner and their price on some things needed got a little gun shy on my offer and somebody else wanted it more than I. Be nice to have a baby Four around though.

40 bazillon bikes and you don't have a 400f, shame on you Eric ??? ::).   Most I ever paid for one was 600-complete, clean, titled but non-running and partially taken apart(actually bought two from the same guy for the same price...Larry

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 07:07:10 pm »

40 bazillon bikes and you don't have a 400f, shame on you Eric ??? ::).   Most I ever paid for one was 600-complete, clean, titled but non-running and partially taken apart(actually bought two from the same guy for the same price...Larry
Came close a couple times  :D

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2013, 07:11:24 pm »

Have you ever had the opportunity to ride one?  They definitely are a fun ride.  My latest is on hold due to an onslaught of exterior house renovation before the weather really gets cold...Larry

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2013, 07:23:36 pm »

Have you ever had the opportunity to ride one?  They definitely are a fun ride.  My latest is on hold due to an onslaught of exterior house renovation before the weather really gets cold...Larry
Nope, I have never rode either a 400F or a 350F. I do admire them though and thought I have read where Mr. Honda did also.

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2013, 09:42:20 pm »
#$%* a 350, the 400f is a total mind blower(but maybe not for you Eric, you are way too tall)10k+ redlines and a 6 speed box...and it weighs not much at all... :) :D ;D :D ;) :)
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline setdog

• Hot Shot
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2013, 10:05:30 pm »
Im mostly concerned about engine parts, and because this already has the body parts gone
We plan on making look more like a kaz yoshima replica than a stock bike.
We wontreally know what were up against until next week.   We will let it sit in
Penetrating oil for the next week before we try tear down.  So plenty of time.
My toolbox consists mainly of hammers.

76 CB 200T. (sold)
75 CB 750 K5. (sold)
74 CB 750 K4. (current rider)
73 CB 750 K3. (build)

https://www.youtube.com/user/setdog100

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2013, 10:31:21 pm »
Im mostly concerned about engine parts, and because this already has the body parts gone
We wontreally know what were up against until next week.   We will let it sit in

I have spare motor parts and frequently see stuff of Ebay.  There is an Oriental seller who offers a 466 piston and ring  set for a tad over a 100.  Good way to go if there is damage from being seized...Larry

Offline faux fiddy

• Just becaus I'm the second post on the pissed off thread doesn't mean I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • bike in a box
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2013, 10:51:47 pm »

I have spare motor parts and frequently see stuff of Ebay.  There is an Oriental seller who offers a 466 piston and ring  set for a tad over a 100.  Good way to go if there is damage from being seized...Larry

Is he Cruzin Image on e-bay? Any word on those? I got  a set in boxes and they look really really  good but hearsay is that a guy installed another type of his sets in a bike and it had problems.

I guess I could search but I don't remember seeing any reports on installing them on sohc.
^^^^^^^/l^^^^^^^^^^^^^^/l^^^
. . ______/ l_________________/  l
<'  '  '   '  o .  . . . . . . .................(
 ' VVVVV'   ')))))____>-''''''''''''''''''\  l
' . vvvv_   -              -                 \/

Offline Powderman

• Master
    • Creative Candy Powder Coating
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2013, 12:34:32 pm »
Cruzin Image is a very popular kit and well worth the money for the $120 it costs. What was the problem the other guy had? Keep in mind that the kit needs to be fitted and it's going to run in the $200 range to have the cylinders bored and pistons fitted. I suspect most issues that arise are probably due to incorrect fitment of the piston clearances. Heat issues sometimes can be concern as the overbore will create more heat and there is less material left in the cylinder wall to dissipate it.

Offline Just4fun

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2013, 08:03:26 pm »
I was talking to Kevin from TTR today.  He has used Cruisin's pistons in four motors so far this year with good results.  If you have not checked out his web site, you should lots of really great parts.

I went to find a set of these pistons and there are none currently listed.  I do not know how often he lists, Hopefully there will some soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD