Author Topic: my cb 850 build  (Read 1104 times)

Offline SkullCrusher

my cb 850 build
« on: October 29, 2013, 01:08:57 am »
Hey group.

New old member here. I joined years ago as 750wardog but must have been deleted. Just got done building my honda....I think a few of you may be impressed.

Started with a 73 motor with unknown history. I rode the bike for 4 years before I picked up a yam 600 Seca 2 as a second bike and decided to tear down my honda and make it irresponsibly fast. The mill had about 60k on it and still ran good but was burning and bit of oil and leaking the rest. It hadn't had an easy life.

After tearing down the top end I found that while my bores and rings were good, I had issues with the head. Upon disassembly and inspection I found that there was excessive wear to the guides and the contact surfaces at the ends of the stems and significant pitting on the sealing surfaces of the valves.

The parts:

Went with the cycle-x 850cc 10.5:1 piston kit, cycle-x cx-3 cam,  kibblewhite heavy duty valve springs and shims, cycle-x bronze guides and super flow valves, cycle-x racing cam chain tensioner,  dyna-s inductive ignition and all the associated seals, o - rings and gaskets.

The build took place over the course of 3 years as it was done with spare time and even sparer money. Got the cylinders bored by an associate of mine, had the heads completely done by stories motors in massillon, pressed in guides, reamed them and ground my seats plus a mild port and polish. Boring out to 67.5mm obliterated the stock chamfer on the bottoms of the sleeves so I had to dremel new ones in. Then I took 4 8" lengths of 5/16 bar stock and after setting all the pistons at the same height, put them between the con rods and piston skirts to hold everything straight. I then used hose clamps to compress the rings and slapped the cylinder on with the meat of my palms till I got the rings in, then removed the clamps and bar stock and drove it home with a dead blow. The rest of the build was by the book as far as assembly and timing. I had thought about degree wheels and slotted cam sprockets but eh...After 3 years I was ready to finish this build.

Just torqued down the last of the screws tonight. Hoping to get the motor in the frame this week.

Some questions: I set the tappets at the factory .003 in and .005 ex. This should work for the hotter cam right?

Is anyone else running the same setup as me? I went with stock crank and rods because my dad and other old timers who have built these motors told me they're strong enough to take the 85 or so hp this combo should make.

Will upgrading my coils make a noticeable difference?

I'm planning on running an oil cooler, the cycle-x one looks neat but doesn't look like it does much cooling, any suggestions there?

Offline EnginebyAdam

Re: my cb 850 build
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 03:46:28 pm »
I'm still learning but sounds like a cool build to me 8)
Better Rodded Than Rotten

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 04:51:15 pm »
Welcome back SkullCrusher. You can still use your old name if you wish to change it but you'll still have to sign in as SkullCrusher. I changed my user name from SamCR750 when the CR went.
In respect of using stock rods, it's not the power that kills them, It's that missed gear change that we all seem to find at some point. Get yourself a rev limiter and set it at 9,000rpm.

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline SkullCrusher

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 01:45:24 pm »
Rev limiter....bah. it's time to shift when you start floating valves.

Just kidding, that's a good idea and I don't want to grenade this motor.