Author Topic: Another CB350F-First Build-Noob-In my garage Thread  (Read 1054 times)

Offline jason405

Another CB350F-First Build-Noob-In my garage Thread
« on: November 27, 2013, 10:29:51 am »
Hey guys,

been reading a ton on this forum in preparation to start my first bike build.  I have purchased a 73 CB350F from a friend who bought it with the hopes of building a tracker style bike, but never finished it.  I am brand new to this whole thing.  I have space in my garage and most of the basic tools I think I will need.

Let me preface this thread with this fact: This will be a fairly slow build.  I'm not sure how slow, but my wife and I are about to have our first baby, so only time will tell how fast I can get things done.  I'm not holding my breath.   ;D

So first, inspiration.
I have looked at a ton of pictures and ready through many build threads and have landed on a few photos that are very close to what I would like to end up with.  This is closest one I have come up with, but I would like to do flat tracker style bars vs clip ons.

So here is the bike I have.  The PO (before my buddy) painted the whole thing with cheap black rattle can with obviously no idea what he was doing and no prep.  It is flaking off everywhere and looks terrible. That ok, because everything is getting torn down, stripped and repainted anyway. But for example, its a paint because he did the same paint job to the motor so there is black paint in the fins and and in many other hard to clean out places. Oh joy.

So here are some general thoughts/plans for each area. This is by no means a complete list, but I am wanting to get a basic outline of all the work that needs to be done and then start attacking each area individually.  I'm already overwhelmed.  :o

The tank is in good shape. Only one small dent to fill before new paint.  The inside of the tank however is another story.  I am probably going to end up trying several methods to get it cleaned out.  It looks like it might have had tank sealer put in it at some point as well.

The forks lowers need to be stripped and re painted properly.  Need new seals and to clean up the fork uppers and maybe paint them (the rusted area around the TT) black as well?

The wheels are in decent shape just again, the terrible paint job.  The thought here is to unlace them, strip/blast rims and hubs, paint them, and relace with new spokes or try to clean up the old ones.

The frame is in pretty good shape.  Planning on de-tabbing, putting a cafe hoop on the rear, having it blasted, and painting with VHT Roll Bar Epoxy paint.  I will fab the flat seat pan myself from plywood or sheet metal and have it upholstered.

The motor is completely torn down. I know it will be the most challenging aspect of the build.  I am wanting to repaint it and I am struggling to figure out the order of how to reassemble it.  Strip and paint first? Strip, reassemble, then mask and paint? I am just worried about painting it first in case I need to tear it back down if we have problems during reassembly.  I would like to know it runs fine before painting, ideally.  I am planning on using aircraft stripper to get all the old black paint off, but how do it scrape it out of all of the fins? Wire brush?   Thinking of going Pamco ignition and maybe starter-less?

Thinking about 5-3/4 bottom mount headlight, minimalist turn signals/brake light, probly just small speedo, and most of the switches (ignition, start, kill) coming out of the electrical box up under the seat pan.

Like I said not a complete list but its a start.  I think I will start with the frame/forks/wheels/tank/seat (not necessarily in that order) then move on to the engine. I forgot to mention, I am a big DIY'er and this is going to have to be budget build.  I am not planning on many long rides. It will just be more of a cruise around town bike for me.  I just want to say thanks in advance to anyone who is able to help me out along the way, and thanks to this forum for already storing a wealth of knowledge I hope to use throughout the build.

Back soon,
Jason

Offline nvr2old

• Hot Shot
Re: Another CB350F-First Build-Noob-In my garage Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 08:44:29 pm »
You've got a lot on your plate for a first time build.  Getting it mechanically repaired and tested to make sure everything works as it should, then blow it all apart again and prep for paint is always a smart way to go in my opinion.  Believe me, you're going to be very familiar with that bike by that point.  It'll come apart easily and reassemble nicely, too.  Do one job at a time and finish that task before moving on to another as time and finances allow.  You can paint your engine parts as it's being reassembled, or you can paint it as a complete piece.  I've done it both ways.  Get some manuals if you don't have some already.  Factory Honda manual is the best but hard to find.  Clymers and the like are better then nothing.  Good luck, and congrats on the new family addition.
'76 CB550F-'72 XL250-'82 MB5-'82 CX500 Turbo-'77 naked Goldwing-'75 CB400F cafe'-'79 Suzuki GS1000S..hey, it's a Wes Cooley..