Author Topic: Time to stop the madness (350f oil leak)  (Read 867 times)

Offline scfire

Time to stop the madness (350f oil leak)
« on: November 10, 2013, 08:17:02 am »
If I could clean it every week I could probably live with the notorious oil leak but I just like to ride and don't really like a weekly bath so it is time to go in for new gaskets.  I sourced a Honda NOS set for $30 fingers crossed that the seller was 100% in it being complete.  I have read about the different ways to keep these little screamers as close to leak free as possible and have compiled the following.

I plan to:   Use gasket sealer around the pressure control valve gasket
                 Copper gasket spray on the head gasket
                 Machine head and barrel
                 Re-torque head after a heat cycle

I hope to leave the engine in because if I pull it I will end up wanting to do a complete strip down and restore of which I do not have time for.  Can I get the engine reasonably clean in the frame?  I also want to lap the valves and clean the piston tops while I am in the top end.  Am I missing anything?  Any words of wisdom? 

Offline heffay

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: Time to stop the madness (350f oil leak)
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 08:20:30 am »
Can I get the engine reasonably clean in the frame?

Yep, shouldn't have too much trouble.  They are pretty easy to work on with the engine still in place.  The only portion that might give you trouble is the area above the oil filter where the frame tube gets in the way.
Today: '73 cb350f, '96 Ducati 900 Supersport
Past Rides: '72 tc125, '94 cbr600f2, '76 rd400, '89 ex500, '93 KTM-125exc, '92 zx7r, '93 Banshee, '83 ATC250R, 77/75 cb400f