Author Topic: Possibly a dumb carb question.  (Read 683 times)

Offline Jayelwin

• Hot Shot
Possibly a dumb carb question.
« on: November 10, 2013, 06:12:01 pm »
So I've got my carbs ready to be either bench synced or installed. If I am going to do a vacuum sync with my manometer do I need to do a bench sync - my eyeballs show a pretty consistent gap across the 4. And I'm going to be messing with the adjusters anyway when it's running during a vacuum sync.

And if I should do a bench sync, do I do it from the air box side of the carb or the engine side of the carb (measure the gap, that is).

-Josh

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
Re: Possibly a dumb carb question.
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 06:18:22 pm »
Eyeball will probably be close enough to run. If you have had the adjusters apart make sure there is still enough headroom in the slides to allow the idle adjustment knob or screw to still work.

Offline Hannibal Smith

• 3rd Grade Dropout
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 06:24:22 pm »
Eyeball will probably be close enough to run. If you have had the adjusters apart make sure there is still enough headroom in the slides to allow the idle adjustment knob or screw to still work.

I agree. An eyeball sync will get you started. If you are a gun enthusiast, then I would trust the eyeball technique, but if you are a vegan peacefreak, then you might want a second opinion.
Follow my build "P38 Racer" in Project section

Offline flybox1

• My wife thinks I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 09:09:09 pm »

I agree. An eyeball sync will get you started. If you are a gun enthusiast, then I would trust the eyeball technique, but if you are a vegan peacefreak, then you might want a second opinion.
;D
Get on with your vac sync...
'78 750K (F3 engine) PD42b's, Modified airbox w/K&N  filter, 40/110 jets, 1 needle shim, IMS@ 1 turn out. Kerker + Cone 18" QuietCore

Past Bikes
1974 550K0 (stock), 1973 CB350F (stock), 1983 Yamaha XS400K (POS)
77/78 cool 2 member #3
"Knowledge without mileage equals bullsh!t" - Henry Rollins

"This is my CB. There are many like it, but this one is mineā€¦"

Offline Deltarider

• Really Old Timer ...
  • First round...
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 06:19:14 am »
If you are a gun enthusiast, then I would trust the eyeball technique, but if you are a vegan peacefreak, then you might want a second opinion.
Am I the only one that doesn't understand?
CB500K2-ED Excel black
"There is enough for everyone's need but not enough for anybody's greed."

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 06:47:22 am »
If you are a gun enthusiast, then I would trust the eyeball technique, but if you are a vegan peacefreak, then you might want a second opinion.
Am I the only one that doesn't understand?

By asking the question, you answered that question. It's a US thing, so don't fret. It's an analogy to personality types is all. A clever one too, in my opinion.

Well done, Hannibal
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Duanob

• Bold Timer
  • Old Timer
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 08:06:58 am »
It's more of an "ironic" comment coming from a guy on the California coast. I'm sure he is alone in his thinking where he lives but feels the need to make sure people know his opinion.

To answer the OP as long as you can get the bike running good enough to do a vac sync, eyeballing it is good enough. If not then you may end up pulling the carbs again to reset them. Keep that in mind.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 08:08:56 am by Duanob »
"Just because you flush a boatload of money down the toilet, doesn't make the toilet worth more",  My Stepfather the Unknown Poet

1974 CB360T
1976 CB550K2 Resurrected
1976 CB550F2 Barn Find
1979 CX500 VG "HONDA-GUZZI"
2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie
2015 BMW F700GS
Another 1976 CB550K Cafe?

__o
_- \_<,
(*) /' (*)

Offline Mo

• Hot Shot
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 08:24:24 am »
A bench sync also takes all of 5 minutes to do..