Author Topic: Cb500 light dimm, hard clutch lever and oily head  (Read 903 times)

Offline Clasico

• CB500 Four K1
Cb500 light dimm, hard clutch lever and oily head
« on: November 11, 2013, 03:11:31 pm »
As i explained in my introduction i'm about to buy an impressive K1 cb500 four.
The bike looks gorgeous (i'll post some pics ASAP) and drives -at least on the parking lot test i did- very well.

The cons
- the clutch lever is pretty stiff
- there is some oil mist round the head possibly coming from the valve cover gasket but not sure
- front brake very poor, dont know if it is normal
- lights dim at iddle, front, rear and even idiot lights

Are those above of any big concern or just model treats?
Carpe Diem

Offline Randy

• Hot Shot
  • Nothing like a banging four under my legs..
    • Mission Detail
Re: Cb500 light dimm, hard clutch lever and oily head
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 03:52:07 pm »
Congrats on your bike...

did the bike sit for a long time?..

I would do alot of searching on this site... i have found answers to all my problems here.. If there was a problem with a cb500, someone has already had that problem and fixed it..
Randy
1973 CB500k, 1972 CB750 (New Arrival), 1978 Vespa P200 (New Arrival)

Offline Clasico

• CB500 Four K1
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 12:49:57 am »
Thanks Randy. Even though i dont have the bike yet, i should be closing the deal this week.

The bike was restored some 5 years ago by its previous owner and has been little used by its present one which is more of a fastidious owner than a biker himself.

It's in good nick though and everything seems to work ok apart from details lusted on my first post
Carpe Diem

Offline martin99

• UK Based, Non-
  • Master
  • Adventure before Dementia
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 01:19:16 pm »
Congrats on the bike.

Sounds like it may have been sitting a while and in need of a little straightforward maintenance. If the lights get brighter when you rev it, you can be reasonably assured it's charging ok. Could be just a case of needing to recharge the battery, or if it's five years old you may find it needs a new one.

Again, if it's been sitting it may explain the heavy clutch. Plates might be sticking. Lube the cable, change the engine oil and adjust as per the manual. Sometimes some gentle rocking to and fro will loosen things up. Poor front brake might be piston seized in the caliper, glazed pads, blown hose - probably best to go through it all properly.

If the source of the oil leak isn't obvious, clean it all up, dust some baby powder over it, run it and then you should be able to see where the leak is.

You haven't mentioned anything that doesn't come under general maintenance anyway, get it sorted and enjoy!

Build threads:
77 750F2 Refresh Project http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=144075.0
TRIBSA http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,160296.0.html

1977 CB750 F2
1958 Norton Model 99
2011 Triumph Street Triple 675

Offline wowbagger

• Not much of an
  • Expert
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 01:45:50 pm »
While you are at it with the clutch and given that it's a cb500, I've pull the left side cover and make sure that the clutch push rod is still in once piece, that the ball bearing that sits between the clutch actuator and the push rod is still there and that the actuator and collar are not cracked. These are all fairly common issues with the cb500 clutch. They are not expensive to fix but all play a part in how easy the clutch level moves.

Offline Clasico

• CB500 Four K1
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 03:04:35 pm »
Thanks oldkoolnuts and wowbagger.
Regarding the  clutch, the seller tells me that it's been changed recently for apparently no good reason cause the discs were perfect -sic-
I gather from your comments that i should treat stiff clutch lever with some suspiction on rod lever state.
 I guess that if it's been changed recently it shouldn't be hard to engage, should it?
Carpe Diem

Offline Bailgang

• Scott
  • Old Timer
  • Indiana
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 03:09:43 pm »
While you are at it with the clutch and given that it's a cb500, I've pull the left side cover and make sure that the clutch push rod is still in once piece, that the ball bearing that sits between the clutch actuator and the push rod is still there and that the actuator and collar are not cracked. These are all fairly common issues with the cb500 clutch. They are not expensive to fix but all play a part in how easy the clutch level moves.

+1

That was precisely the issues I had with a 73 500 I recently picked up. The outer shell of the adjuster was broken, the pushrod was broken and someone put the wrong clutch plates in the clutch throwing the stack height off. Fortunately I had another cb500 clutch with the correct plates, made my own pushrod and picked up another adjuster from ebay. It all works perfect now.
Scott

71 cb350 twin
77 cb750 F2
83 gl1100 Interstate

Offline Bailgang

• Scott
  • Old Timer
  • Indiana
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 03:14:18 pm »
Thanks oldkoolnuts and wowbagger.
Regarding the  clutch, the seller tells me that it's been changed recently for apparently no good reason cause the discs were perfect -sic-

If the seller still has the original clutch discs then you might want to nab them just in case he put the wrong discs in like the PO of my 500 did.
Scott

71 cb350 twin
77 cb750 F2
83 gl1100 Interstate

Offline Clasico

• CB500 Four K1
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 03:45:53 pm »
Good idea bailgang, i'll ask the seller
Carpe Diem

Offline bjbuchanan

• Master
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 12:03:30 pm »
Clutch cable routing and lubing come to mind as well. It really is surprising how different it feels compared to a "good" setup
The dirty girl-1976 cb750k, Ebay 836, Tracy bodykit
Round top carbs w/ 38 pilots, middle needle position, airscrew 7/8ths out, 122 main jet
Stock airbox w/ drop in K&N, Hooker 4-1

Don't trust me alone with a claw hammer and some pliers