Author Topic: CB 500 K1 first impressions  (Read 1032 times)

Offline Clasico

• CB500 Four K1
CB 500 K1 first impressions
« on: November 19, 2013, 11:01:30 am »
Today I had my first long ride with my new four. It's my first time with these machines and i would like to share with you my experience with it.

The starting procedure went rather bad. I had to push start it!
Maybe 300 miles on a trailer under lots of rain and rather cold temperatures is to be blamed. Also my starting procedure is not up to scratch yet.
- open the gas tab
- close choke (i'd always call it open choke but it seems that in this bike is the opposite)
- push starter (tried w/out gas and with some gas but to o avail)

Anyway after she started i open the choke and maintain 2/3 thousand revs to keep it going. Sounded very noisy for he first few minutes and then quieted a bit.
She is quite tall for my short inseam but the ride position is quite natural and old style.

Once fully warmed it went very well bar a stiff clutch and a very poor front brake. The gears are a bit hard to engage and neutral is just plain impossible. I would appreciate your advice on this one!

The rest is just perfect, the noise, the revs going up, the feeling of driving a piece of motorbike history, the position...

I shall post some pics as soon as i learn how to do it
Carpe Diem

Offline Bankerdanny

• Eventually I will be old enough in reality to be
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
Re: CB 500 K1 first impressions
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 11:20:09 am »
You opened the choke fully immediately after starting?

It has multiple positions so you don't have to choose on or off. After start you should open it some, but not fully, at least not when the weather is cold. In the heat of summer you might be able to turn the choke off immediately, but when temps are colder you will probably need to leave it at least partially choked for the first few minutes until you get some heat into the engine.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Current: '76 CB750F. Previous:  '75 CB550F, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000, '77 CB550k, '68 Suzuki K10 80, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, '89 Yamaha FJ1200

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 11:43:36 am »
Clutch issues may be related to engine oil. Download a manual from the forum, and perform the 3,000 Mile service. This will also attend to the poor front brake issue (or at least reveal the cause of the problem).

If you are at all unfamiliar with a vintage bike, you can not "judge" the performance based upon your familiarity with a modern bike. The brakes especially, will be VERY different. These are single piston units, and the fluid (current) may be in dire need of service.

Also, remember to lubricate/grease the swing arm. This is a very important piece of maintenance to insure decades of worry-free service!
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Vinhead1957

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 12:31:52 pm »
I also found clutch problem to be a binding cable. Years of crap in the sheathing. New cables are not that expensive