Author Topic: Kibblewhite Cb550 +1mm OS Valves  (Read 3582 times)

Offline KrautKoffin

• Hot Shot
Kibblewhite Cb550 +1mm OS Valves
« on: December 11, 2013, 10:47:51 am »
I just bought a set of +1mm oversized kibblewhite valves from cycle X, anyone have any experience with these. Should I be replacing my valve guides or will the existing guides work? Any info is appreciated!

- Jordan
74 cb550
I now have Beastie Boys "Sabotage" stuck in my head after seeing your avatar.

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
Re: Kibblewhite Cb550 +1mm OS Valves
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 10:59:43 am »
You're going to have to cut new seats to fit the OS valves, so that means a valve job and unless you're real lucky I'd say guides as well. I'd plan on it.

Usually the new valves are fitted to the guides with a ream, I think. Old guides would make that harder to achieve.

I think.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline KrautKoffin

• Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 11:07:26 am »
You're going to have to cut new seats to fit the OS valves, so that means a valve job and unless you're real lucky I'd say guides as well. I'd plan on it.

Usually the new valves are fitted to the guides with a ream, I think. Old guides would make that harder to achieve.

I think.

thanks for the input, I was expecting to have to but new guides but the machinist said "You shouldn't have to get that deep into this head." I beg to differ, but Im no machinist. I would think it would be hard to align the seat and guide with the valve.. Also, Im getting a port and polish on the head so it shouldn't be an issue to cut the throat larger to accept the valves.
74 cb550

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 11:22:09 am »

I think.

thanks for the input, I was expecting to have to but new guides but the machinist said "You shouldn't have to get that deep into this head." I beg to differ, but Im no machinist. I would think it would be hard to align the seat and guide with the valve.. Also, Im getting a port and polish on the head so it shouldn't be an issue to cut the throat larger to accept the valves.
ITs not the throat at issue. ITs the seat. And the rim of the valve. That's where the oversize occurs which is all on the combustion side of the head.  Enlarging the throat/port will be a good thing but not necessary.

Seat cutters are guided by the guides, as you mention. Hence my opinion new guides are  in order.  often a portsmith will like to remove the old guides for better access to the ports.

Completely different tools: rotary porting tool handheld for the ports. Machine guided seat cutters.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 12:19:16 pm by MCRider »
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline KrautKoffin

• Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 11:27:02 am »

I think.

ITs not the throat at issue. ITs the seat. And the rim of the valve. That's where the oversize occurs which is all on the combustion side of the head.  Enlarging the throat/port will be a good thing but not necessary.

Seat cutters are guided by the guides, as you mention. Hence my opinion new guides are  in order.  often a portsmith will like to remove the old guides for better access to the ports.

Those are my thoughts exactly, but he said he shouldn't have to remove them. If they work and it saves me $150 plus labor Im happy.
74 cb550

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 12:20:27 pm »
Sure thing, if he thinks he can do it and save the $$, I defer.
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 01:03:39 pm »
I just bought a set of +1mm oversized kibblewhite valves from cycle X, anyone have any experience with these. Should I be replacing my valve guides or will the existing guides work? Any info is appreciated!

- Jordan
that valve works well....I have installed them on about 6 heads. The old guides will work BUT they have to be in good condition. Adding the larger valve won't do much unless the seat is opened up to 90% of the OS valve.
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline KrautKoffin

• Hot Shot
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 01:14:55 pm »

- Jordan
that valve works well....I have installed them on about 6 heads. The old guides will work BUT they have to be in good condition. Adding the larger valve won't do much unless the seat is opened up to 90% of the OS valve.

Thanks Mike,good to know. I talked to Pat@APE and he confirmed my suspicions that these heads respond well to OS valves when they are ported well. I'll have my machinist inspect the guides before installing the valves.
74 cb550

Offline Big Jay

• Expert
    • CBRzone
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 11:29:45 pm »
Installing oversize valves without opening the throats of the seat is pretty much a waste of time.

On these older heads we even open the throats on stock size valves when porting.

Offline KrautKoffin

• Hot Shot
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 11:46:54 pm »
Installing oversize valves without opening the throats of the seat is pretty much a waste of time.

On these older heads we even open the throats on stock size valves when porting.

Jay, have you been talking to Pat? ;D do you have any flow numbers Jay or Mriech?
74 cb550

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2013, 12:15:23 am »
500/550s are definitely super strangled at the valve seat throat cross section, the big flow numbers come from opening them up exactly there. not something you can do with a hand held grinder though.

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2013, 05:28:23 am »
These o/s valves, plus all the above mentioned work to increase flow gave us nearly a 10% power increase in a race engine.  As mentioned, there is much unleashed power in these heads, choosing which improvement steps to follow will determine the outcome.

Offline KrautKoffin

• Hot Shot
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2013, 09:30:04 am »
These o/s valves, plus all the above mentioned work to increase flow gave us nearly a 10% power increase in a race engine.  As mentioned, there is much unleashed power in these heads, choosing which improvement steps to follow will determine the outcome.

Good to hear! I'm boring it out to 600cc's, knife edging the crank, and porting the head to accept the new valves. This thing should make decent power :)
74 cb550

Offline Big Jay

• Expert
    • CBRzone
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2013, 09:00:38 am »
Seat boring

Offline SOHC4 Cafe Racer Fan

• Speak up, Whipper-Snapper! I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC/4 Member #1235
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2013, 01:43:08 am »

Good to hear! I'm boring it out to 600cc's, knife edging the crank, and porting the head to accept the new valves. This thing should make decent power :)

Damn, Jordan.  Pulling out the stops for the 550!
1975 CB550K1 "Blue" Stockish Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=135005.0)
1975 CB550F1 frame/CB650 engine hybrid "The Hot Mess" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,150220.0.html)
2008 Triumph Thruxton (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,190956.0.html)
2014 MV Agusta Brutale Dragster 800
2015 Yamaha FZ-09 (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,186861.0.html)

"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them — but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one.... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba." Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature, Cycle World, March 1995.  (http://www.latexnet.org/~csmith/sausage.html and https://magazine.cycleworld.com/article/1995/3/1/song-of-the-sausage-creature)

Sold/Emeritus
1973 CB750K2 "Bionic Mongrel" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132734.0) - Sold
1977 CB750K7 "Nine Lives" Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=50490.0) - Sold
2005 RVT1000RR RC51-SP2 "El Diablo" - Sold
2016+ Triumph Thruxton 1200 R (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,170198.0.html) - Sold

Offline KrautKoffin

• Hot Shot
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2013, 09:44:49 am »
Haha might as well do it right the first time ;)
74 cb550