Author Topic: Degreeing a cam for a CB592.  (Read 819 times)

Offline Dimitri13

• Not a
  • Master
  • 1974 CB550K
Degreeing a cam for a CB592.
« on: December 20, 2013, 01:51:56 pm »
Specs:

Dynoman/JE 592cc 10.5:1 CR pistons
Webcam 358b
+1mm intake valves
MReick stage 3 ported head
APE lightened/balanced crankshaft
Stock 069a carbs

Purpose: Screwing around on the twisties, hooning, and commuting. No race track yet, but one day.

So I'm in the process of degreeing my cam. Right now I'm just checking it to make sure it's in spec. After that, since I have an adjustable sprocket, I figured I could do some sort of degreeing. Even though it's mainly a street bike, I'm not sure I want to advance the cam timing at all, mainly because I assume the low end torque gain would be negligible and affect all the fancy top end work more.

So anyone have any advice for me?

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: Degreeing a cam for a CB592.
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 05:33:03 pm »
As has been suggested most often, just even the intake & ex lobe centers. I don't think Web even gives a timing card with opening & closing numbers any more, do they? In my mind for a nice powerband on a street bike just "square" the cam LC's as close as possible and that's the best you can do. You'll appreciate the extra juice you end up with.

Is this the first time assembling for clearance checks? If so after you've finished timing the cam and while your set up is in place, check valve/piston clearances at least at 10 degrees (maybe 5-10-15degrees) either side of TDC. I usually do this in a test assembly with only an inner valve spring so it's easier to pry the valve open.

Have fun.