Author Topic: racing film  (Read 2010 times)

Online simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
racing film
« on: January 02, 2014, 07:41:42 am »
ok this has been around for a few years now and i am probably the last person on earth to have watched it .
but just in case im not

http://www.nzonscreen.com/title/love-speed-and-loss-2007

obviously a very sad story but a very good one , the old racing footage is brilliant and it gives a great insight to gp racing in the early 70's .

its in a few different parts and lasts over an hour so pour yourself a beer and get comfortable !

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
Re: racing film
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 03:00:17 pm »
Jarno Saarinen another great loss......I think he could have been in the top 5 greatest. Hailed from Turku....the home of our own Juha Leino. ;)
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 03:44:37 pm »
Simon that makes two of us who never saw this, thanks for posting. Those years saw so many riders lose their lives. Mike I was at Daytona in 74 when Jarno won there. Track safety...I won't get started.

Offline SOHC Digger

• I'm not an
  • Expert
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 04:07:39 pm »
I've never seen it either. Thanks for the post!

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 04:16:26 pm »
I can't get it to play. >:(
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 01:25:51 pm »
Before this disappears here's another vid. Again, rather a sad ending but it wasn't actually racing that led to their demise.

https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3D-4UXfyxgZsk&sa=U&ei=vCrHUsrhGcKY2QWm_oDwCg&ved=0CAYQFjAA&client=internal-uds-cse&usg=AFQjCNFx1llsb-d-_31OOA4_2_rVdnDhmw
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 04:36:24 pm by bwaller »

Offline LesterPiglet

• Old Timer
  • 1977 CB550F2
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 03:07:57 pm »
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Draw and drawer. Could care less/couldn't care less. Bought/brought FFS.

Les Ross.            Certified by a Professional

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 10:33:34 pm »
tnxs for that simon. I knew someone made a movie but never found it online.
easy to miss the days when you could challenge for a world championship from such a tiny backyard effort. the whole konig operation (outboards included) was never more than a medium sized hangar..... scroll down to see the "works bikes" lab :)

http://www.quincylooperracing.us/subpage99.html

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 06:32:57 am »
It's true TG, a monumentous effort, and clearly stuff of legend. We can't imagine it happening today. I'm still hung up on what racers put up with in those days, no matter how many wheels. There will always be safety issues in racing, but to realize how many lives were lost is unimaginable. Especially with the throngs of people attending race events, one would think track owners would have done more sooner.

The IOM is another matter, one I've always struggled to understand.

Online simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 11:52:01 am »
It's true TG, a monumentous effort, and clearly stuff of legend. We can't imagine it happening today. I'm still hung up on what racers put up with in those days, no matter how many wheels. There will always be safety issues in racing, but to realize how many lives were lost is unimaginable. Especially with the throngs of people attending race events, one would think track owners would have done more sooner.

The IOM is another matter, one I've always struggled to understand.

basically they died so we didnt have to  , it took far to long for change to happen and it was not until Robert's , sheene etc proposed a break away series to rival the gp's that anything of any value occurred .
the organisers relied on the fact we loved racing so much they could treat us as they pleased and they knew we would still race .
in this country it still goes on , not so bad at race meetings but track days have next to no safety at all . racers use track days for cheap practice and dont seem to realise that 50 bikes on track , no marshals and no doctor or ambulance at the circuit is a recipe
for disaster . was dropping off some parts at oulton park last year when two riders where killed , it was a long time before a doctor was with them .
as for the iom , well to be honest its a stupid place to race motorbikes but there is no pretence , at least when you go you know you are stupid .

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 01:22:09 pm »
Your country is not the only one...I can't argue with a single thing you wrote.

Offline CBJoe

• Master
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2014, 08:21:18 pm »
Just finished watching (a few beers later)...Great documentary...not being much into racing it was some very interesting insight into the history of the sport and times.  Thanks for posting.

Cheers, Joe
'07 Bonneville Black
'15 Moto Guzzi California 1400
CB750K2 Hot Rod Revival http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,171693.0.html
'65 CB77
'66 CM91 (C90'ish)

Offline azuredesign

• Knupping pin
  • Master
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2014, 06:40:51 am »
Thanks for posting this video. I knew nothing about Newcombe, or about the Koenig engine.
I found some info on the bike and engine here:

http://www.ozebook.com/konig.htm

As a sympathetic viewer I was glad to see that the constant mechanical problems noted with the Koenig appear to have been due to the Norton tranny and clutch used.

I also wonder how much this engine informed the rg500 and rz500?

Online simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2014, 07:46:51 am »
it wasn't just the gear box and clutch that caused the problems im afraid , ignition and cooling problems also played there part .
also it would be hard to believe it handled anything like as well as the hugely developed mv which makes the achievement even more impressive

the Koenig probably didnt influence either of those engines , the yamaha is a strange reed / piston port hybrid that came much later
and Suzuki already had plenty of disc valve information that ernst degner stole from mz , which as they say is another story !
here is a picture of the first suzuki disc valve engined bike built with the mz technology

Offline azuredesign

• Knupping pin
  • Master
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2014, 08:09:51 am »
Thanks Simon, good to know more of the story. Man, that aft tank strap tab on the Suzuki photo you posted is painful to look at!

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2014, 09:15:31 am »
Thanks for posting this video. I knew nothing about Newcombe, or about the Koenig engine.
I found some info on the bike and engine here:

http://www.ozebook.com/konig.htm

As a sympathetic viewer I was glad to see that the constant mechanical problems noted with the Koenig appear to have been due to the Norton tranny and clutch used.

I also wonder how much this engine informed the rg500 and rz500?

thanks for posting this link...I was finally able to watch the documentary here
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2014, 11:59:41 am »
The koenig engine is still being made, but with modern technology by a company called Konny Engines.  It made a good sidecar engine, but wasn't the best for reliability.

http://www.konny.cz/
1977 CB550/4 Cafe - Speed Warrior / BOTM 03/11
1980 CB750F (project)
Whittaker GBF Vintage Racing Sidecar (XS750 power) - ITG / 151's / CMR Racing Products (SOLD)
1976 CB400 SS - stock / BOTM 04/11 (SOLD)
1973 CB750 K - basket case (SOLD)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Online simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2014, 02:18:04 pm »
that looks alot better than the original engine , they are claiming good power from it .