Author Topic: Low Buck 750 Cylinder Head Project  (Read 23732 times)

Offline johno

• Expert
Re: Low Buck 750 Cylinder Head Project
« Reply #75 on: January 03, 2014, 03:46:58 am »

the ol play do makes life fast and easy for guide shapes
Hey johno, I prefer modeling clay to play-doh.  ;D

Hey Scotty, mine is blue  8) and yours is pink  ::)   whats that saying  ;)
johno
GRASSHOPPER SOHC HONDAS ARE THE MEANING OF LIFE.

Offline Greg H

• When two cams is one too many .
  • Hot Shot
  • Still crazy after all these years .
« Reply #76 on: January 03, 2014, 05:32:46 am »
I've been waiting for this bit  ::). How do you propose to establish whether your re-worked exhaust port will flow better than stock ?.

Flow bench should confirm that I guess.
A very good guess brother. ;) That F2 exhaust doesn't need very much at all......a good size valve in there.
What I was alluding to was the fact that TurboD had stated in an early post that the flow bench he was using at home only had a vacuum facility .

I went back and added a thought to the post but good to know some of this stuff is sinking in ;) Sorry about adding to my posts after the fact. The power was out and I was trying to use my wife's android ::) ;D My phone is text and calling only, and the text part is VERY limited ;)

TurboD you are getting me pretty pumped about getting my head porting equipment. Between this post and following MReick's work I have enough to go by for the F3 head I want to use. I'll be sure to post a thread when I get into the porting side of things. I'm pretty sure the K6 head is a practice piece :)

TurboD this thread is very well put together and the knowledgeable are helping it along nicely. Thank you for your time, I'm feeling mighty edgamakated ;D

Offline Greg H

• Hot Shot
« Reply #77 on: January 03, 2014, 05:38:01 am »
For some reason that last post didn't work out  ::). What I was alluding to when I questioned how TurboD was going to establish whether his work on the exhaust port had increased flow , was based on the fact that he had mentioned in an early post that he was only able to test intake flow on his flow bench .

Offline TurboD

• Hot Shot
« Reply #78 on: January 03, 2014, 06:45:30 am »
Greg To answer your question. Without currently having a exhaust flow bench here at home, I simply do not have a 100% way of being sure that the work has helped. That said, At this point I can only go off of the "trust" that the last 25 years of porting  heads , intakes , carbs etc. has taught me something.  ;D  In all seriousness the ports in these heads are somewhat basic and the tricks and techniques that have been around for years easily apply to them.

Adam My hope was that this thread would be helpful and show everyone that with a little work, that a decent bit of performance could be gained by someone at home with a few basic tools.

Offline Greg H

• Hot Shot
« Reply #79 on: January 03, 2014, 08:53:20 am »
TurboD,  I'd  say that you've definitely proven your hypothesis . Also , as my old man used to say "there's no substitute for experience"  ;)

Offline EnginebyAdam

« Reply #80 on: January 04, 2014, 08:14:23 am »
I was re-reading "cylinder head airflow figures" http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=105411.50 and was wondering how much variation exists between flow benches even when both are tested @ 10"?

The reason I ask is because the '72 std K2 cyl head with light emery clean up in the "cylinder head airflow figures" shows .400 lift - 65 cfm  on the inlet. A picture of the K2 port is in the link I posted. TurboD's F2 head shows .400 lift on the inlet, before-54.3 cfm, basic cleanup-57.7 cfm, light reshaping- 60.0 cfm. I would of thought that the F2 head would be showing better flow numbers right out of the gate.

Was hoping to get a little clarification as to whether or not this is a difference in flow bench's or the K2 head has more work done to it than TurboD's F2 head at time of testing?

Cheers.
Better Rodded Than Rotten

Offline TurboD

• Hot Shot
« Reply #81 on: January 04, 2014, 12:23:46 pm »
Adam Like I posted in the first post, numbers from bench to bench as well operators will vary. My bench that I used for testing the F2 head is slightly on the conservative side (a little Stingey Lol). When I used to do work, I never had a problem if someone took something I worked on and retested it and got better numbers. I could add 2-3 CFM to my numbers posted and not be out of line.

I can't comment on the K2 head, I will say the standard for a stock KZ 900/1000 head with 36mm valves tested at 10 inches and .500 lift is typically in the 67-68 CFM range,

Offline EnginebyAdam

« Reply #82 on: January 04, 2014, 01:51:18 pm »
Adam Like I posted in the first post, numbers from bench to bench as well operators will vary. My bench that I used for testing the F2 head is slightly on the conservative side (a little Stingey Lol). When I used to do work, I never had a problem if someone took something I worked on and retested it and got better numbers. I could add 2-3 CFM to my numbers posted and not be out of line.

I can't comment on the K2 head, I will say the standard for a stock KZ 900/1000 head with 36mm valves tested at 10 inches and .500 lift is typically in the 67-68 CFM range,

I kind of figured that was the case from bench to bench, so that much makes sense. The thing that is throwing me for a loop is that the k2 head is flowing better than the F2 head at the same lift and also tested at 10". The work done looks along the same lines. Everything I am reading suggests the F2 head has better initial flow numbers than any other stock head for the cb750 sohc. So even with the difference in benches the K2 should not flow better or even the same, even providing the two benches have a 5 cfm difference in numbers, with the same work done.

It looks to me the two heads have similar work , maybe a little less on the K2. That being said I'm going off pictures and limited experience. Johno was the work on the K2 head similar to what TurboD has performed? I'm just trying to get my head wrapped around how all this works and why the numbers are what they are.

Cheers,
Adam

Edit: I apologize if this was a little of the original topic.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 02:20:17 pm by EnginebyAdam »

Offline johno

• Expert
« Reply #83 on: January 04, 2014, 02:41:27 pm »
I was re-reading "cylinder head airflow figures" http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=105411.50 and was wondering how much variation exists between flow benches even when both are tested @ 10"?

The reason I ask is because the '72 std K2 cyl head with light emery clean up in the "cylinder head airflow figures" shows .400 lift - 65 cfm  on the inlet. A picture of the K2 port is in the link I posted. TurboD's F2 head shows .400 lift on the inlet, before-54.3 cfm, basic cleanup-57.7 cfm, light reshaping- 60.0 cfm. I would of thought that the F2 head would be showing better flow numbers right out of the gate.

Was hoping to get a little clarification as to whether or not this is a difference in flow bench's or the K2 head has more work done to it than TurboD's F2 head at time of testing?

Cheers.

There is more difference between head castings than flow benchs eg that K2 head I flowed was picked from 4 heads, there was up to 5mm difference between the castings in the port position and shape.........thats a lot
So if you just tidy up the port your following the castings and getting what you got
johno

Offline EnginebyAdam

« Reply #84 on: January 04, 2014, 04:20:39 pm »
Okay that makes some sense. I'm just trying to take in all the information I can. I'm still learning about port shape and all that. The most I've done so far is pocket ported my dohc 750 so I've got lots to learn.

Offline cbr954

• Hot Shot
« Reply #85 on: January 04, 2014, 04:24:45 pm »
I have seen large differences between ports on the same head also.  I have a home made flow bench that is basically just a manometer.  I use it just to keep track of impovements when I change something in the port, so I dont have any cfm numbers.  But it is very interesting to see how much difference in flow there is just between ports on one head let along beg differences between different heads.
03 CBR954RR, 72 750 chopper(970cc
F2 head), 2017 CRF450R, 2001 CR250R, 72 CB500, 79 XR250, 04 CRF50,70's soon to be rebuilt cb750 drag bike.

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #86 on: January 04, 2014, 07:09:31 pm »

johno
Every pussy I ever poked was pink; never poked a blue one?? :o ;D
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #87 on: January 04, 2014, 08:00:09 pm »
Wow, port-shaping deja vu!

http://cb750k2.honda4.nl/Technical/porting/Porting_the_Honda_Head.htm

My book:
Chapter VI, pages A-9 thru A-15 .
 ;)
I remember that Branch Flowmetrics article well: it was what got me started with the 750 porting in 1972 or so.

The one thing I would add that was intimated in the Branch article, but not detailed: with the stock carbs and intake hoses, a cam lift of .335" was already more than the head could suck in, given the stock valves' shape (unpolished). I still believe this was the thinking "Pops" Yoshimura applied to these heads with his 85- and 90-HP cams, at .335" lifts. To go beyond the limits imposed by the valve shape, a thinner stem was required, along with a flatter top side: surprise, this is the F2/3 valve and the later aftermarket types.
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #88 on: January 04, 2014, 09:34:45 pm »

johno
Every pussy I ever poked was pink; never poked a blue one?? :o ;D

Yeah but I bet they were blue when you finished!  ;D
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #89 on: January 04, 2014, 09:55:00 pm »
What kind of tree is that in the background of the picture?

Offline bear

• Vale Bill McIntosh ......"illegitimi non carborundum"
  • Old Timer
  • Leeton in Australia
« Reply #90 on: January 04, 2014, 10:19:22 pm »
A good old Ozzi banksia by the look of it.
Johno?
Are you a bit of a gardener Frank?

Cheers,
Brian
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 10:23:44 pm by bear »
The older I get the faster I was.

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #91 on: January 04, 2014, 10:37:33 pm »
A good old Ozzi banksia by the look of it.
Johno?
Are you a bit of a gardener Frank?

Cheers,
Brian

Just curious about native flora. Especially ones i've never seen before. That one just caught my eye.

Offline johno

• Expert
« Reply #92 on: January 04, 2014, 10:49:02 pm »

yes a Banksia, ozzy native.    They have unusual flowers and flower prolifically if you look after them........alas I dont.
But they are different to most flowering trees, the low stuff along side is the famous ozzy saltbush, zero maintanance
my style of garden
johno

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #93 on: January 04, 2014, 10:49:49 pm »
Are they common in Aus Brian?

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline bear

• Old Timer
  • Leeton in Australia
« Reply #94 on: January 04, 2014, 11:35:34 pm »
Are they common in Aus Brian?

Sam. ;)

They are Sammy, and they come in many colours and varieties.
Our native birds luv 'em.

Cheers,
Brian

Offline bear

• Old Timer
  • Leeton in Australia
« Reply #95 on: January 04, 2014, 11:57:46 pm »
The kayos of our garden doesn't hold a candle to your ordered "English Garden" Sammy but it's a haven for the lovely Evelyn and I. :)

We are fighting a loosing battle against the 40deg.C heat at the moment.

Cheers,
Brian
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 12:10:06 am by bear »

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #96 on: January 05, 2014, 12:43:33 am »
That's nice Brian, wish it was summer here. My garden looks a real mess in winter due to grubs messing up the lawn and the fact that there are no leaves on the trees.
The reason I asked about the tree was because I have a sapling and I believe it is some sort of tree native to Aus. I've asked my son to photograph it so I can send it to the RHS to find out what it is.
I've got a sneaky feeling it might be a Wollemi Pine but I can't be sure.
When I found it, I thought it was a fern but as it started to grow, it started to shoot out branches like a tree.
I guess only time will tell as long as it don't snuff it. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sam. ;)

PS, sorry for the hijack.
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline PeWe

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bike almost back to the 70's 2015
« Reply #97 on: January 05, 2014, 02:25:21 am »
Nice climate for a biker! :-)
I'm waiting for warmer weather and dry roads, +10-15C so I can perform road tests on by me restored CB750 I brought back in my garage from a friends barn autumn 2009. Maybe April.... :-(
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 10:11:50 am by PeWe »
CB750 K6-76  970cc (Earlier 1005cc JMR Billet block on the shelf waiting for a comeback)
CB750 K2-75 Parts assembled to a stock K2

Updates of the CB750 K6 -1976
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180468.msg2092136.html#msg2092136
The billet block build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,49438.msg1863571.html#msg1863571
CB750 K2 -1975  build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,168243.msg1948381.html#msg1948381
K2 engine build thread. For a complete CB750 -75
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180088.msg2088008.html#msg2088008
Carb jetting, a long story Mikuni TMR32
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,179479.msg2104967.html#msg2104967

Offline johno

• Expert
« Reply #98 on: January 05, 2014, 03:07:32 am »
Sam !
At least Brians lawn is nicely mowed, NOT like  Retro's  effort ;) ;D

Mind you, my moneys on Ev pushin the lawnmower, Brian's always banging his leg or foot racing to get out of it. ;) ;D
johno

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #99 on: January 05, 2014, 11:59:50 am »
The kayos of our garden doesn't hold a candle to your ordered "English Garden" Sammy but it's a haven for the lovely Evelyn and I. :)

We are fighting a loosing battle against the 40deg.C heat at the moment.

Cheers,
Brian

Very nice garden Brian. After you told me the name of the tree, i spent 30 minutes reseasrching it on the web. I'd like to try growing one here in our climate- it seems the tree is hardy enough to take the fluctuations and would be suited for the soil conditions here as well.