Author Topic: Cb400f Pittsburgh project  (Read 18493 times)

Offline bjbuchanan

• Master
Re: Cb400f Pittsburgh project
« Reply #100 on: July 25, 2014, 09:25:42 pm »
Screw kicking it on the hill, turn around and pop that sucker down the hill

Check for breaks in the wiring along the way. It is a short run from the points to the coils. One place that is overlooked is where the harness blue/yellow hooks from the points to the harness wiring. Those get loose and missed all the time, caught me twice.
The dirty girl-1976 cb750k, Ebay 836, Tracy bodykit
Round top carbs w/ 38 pilots, middle needle position, airscrew 7/8ths out, 122 main jet
Stock airbox w/ drop in K&N, Hooker 4-1

Don't trust me alone with a claw hammer and some pliers

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #101 on: July 26, 2014, 06:31:37 am »
So since I I've been on here last everything has gone Wrong! I decided to stop being lazy and start plugging away once again. I found my problem why it wasn't starting once again.... It turned out the blue wire from my point to the bullet plug must be messed up because if I switch the wires from cylinder 2-3 to 1-4 the coil works. The condensers work and points are set correctly. I just bought a new battery today as well and changed my innertube that was going flat up front. I also bought a new caliper seal and new mirrors because I dropped the bike in the mud when I was getting super pissed kick starting it on a incline. Frustration is getting the best of me! Hopefully I'll be able to ride it for the first time with my new license. Hopefully I get everything perfect this time. One thing at a time I guess.

Cheers!
Andrew

Stay Pumped Andrew  ::) ;)
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline Super400SuperSport

• Dig it!
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #102 on: July 26, 2014, 08:41:00 am »
Thanks guys. I was in my back yard on a slight incline and it tipped over onto the mirror. I'm doing my best to get her going again. I'm making a new wire so I don't run into this again. Everything is tight on the points side. On a off topic thing my coworkers punked me and said a truck I did brake lines on crashed into a guard rail because their brakes gave out and stuff like that. I was thought I was about to lose my job. Not a cool joke in my opinion.

Andrew

• Dig it!
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #103 on: July 27, 2014, 12:23:58 pm »
So I was working on her today and couldn't get her started. Cleaned the plugs and she fired up. I hear a loud screeching coming from the stator. I'm going to have to look at that really really soon. The bike warmed up and the stator cover was wayyyy too hot! Looks like I'm going to need a new stator from the sound of it. It sounds so horrible! I just want to cry.

Andrew

• Dig it!
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #104 on: July 29, 2014, 05:13:15 pm »
So I changed the plugs and the bike is running super rich. Once it gets hot and I come to a stop it seems to die and turns the plugs black and wet. I have 80's, stock slow jet, needle moved up 1 notch from stock, unifilters, Emgo muffler, stock headers, d8ea plugs, ngk resistor caps, new points and condensers, new battery, header wrap and a inline fuel filter on top of the OEM one. What would your first suggestion be to correct my richness issue? Please don't say put the stock air box on. Thanks! And the air screws are out 1.5 turns. Just turned them out 2 turns just now.

Andrew
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 05:19:14 pm by Super400SuperSport »

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #105 on: July 29, 2014, 06:35:20 pm »
Floats sticking open? Might explain why it's pouring gas into the chambers and fouling your plugs.
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

• Dig it!
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #106 on: July 29, 2014, 11:42:48 pm »
I guess I'll open them up again and reset the float height. Maybe I'll take them to a shop and have them set the float height or maybe just say F it and buy a float gague myself. I tried the credit card thing and apparently it might not have worked. I guess I should buy new plugs again or just clean these up and try again. The bike really fly's though. I literally lay on the throttle and go pretty quick. The worst part is that I was driving it down the street and stopped at a red light and a cute girl said "Your bike is sexy! I love it!", then my bike proceeded to die. Great, now I have a "sexy" bike that made me look like a fool. If It were running right I would have given her a ride  ;) . This thing sounds mean though! I'm SO CLOSE! Once I figure this out I'll be happy.

Any input or suggestions are welcome and I appreciate every scrap of encouragement that keeps me going. Once it gets running a little better I'll start working on the wiring (cleaning up connections and maybe making a new harness in the future), paint, and a actual seat cushion.

Thanks guys! You're such great help!
Andrew

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #107 on: July 30, 2014, 04:41:26 am »
You missed you're perfect opportunity! Your bike died and you let the pretty girl walk? Young and foolish...

You should have said, "Great, Youre so pretty you stop traffic, and then you go and kill my bike! How will I ever get home?" Dude, you gotta learn- then, when she pulls over, and walks up, hit her with, "Damn, did it hurt when you fell from Heaven?"  Seriously disappointed in you...

As for the bike, the credit card gauge works perfectly well, if you measured with an accurate device. Double check your gauge measurement. Just because they were set, doesn't mean they can't be stuck now. You did have to let the bike sit for a bit, right? Possible some debris got in there or, that your measures are off. And this may not be your problem at all... But it's worth the check.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

• Dig it!
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #108 on: July 30, 2014, 04:27:56 pm »
Haha! I should have! Right after that a Mercedes almost nailed me passing me at 45 in a 25 mph rd. I used a micrometer when I made the gague and everything inside the carbs are brand new down to the float pins. I will check it again and hopefully that's the problem. But as they say "running rich is better than running lean". Maybe I should clean the emulsifier tubes again and replace the 2 questionable carbs. My dad has his set for his bike but he needs another set of carbs anyways because one is "toast".

I can't wait to ride it further than a 2-5 miles at a time. I just don't want to burn a hole in my piston. It's too bad that no one likes working on these bikes anymore. So far I guess I haven't done too bad for not knowing too crazy much about these bikes.

I'll let you guys know what happens though.
Andrew

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #109 on: July 30, 2014, 06:01:35 pm »
Actually, "Lean is mean" is the adage. But, too lean is very detrimental to an engine.

• Dig it!
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #110 on: July 31, 2014, 12:33:15 pm »
Yeah, I just don't want to detonate my motor is all. If I ride it that rich, will it cause a lot of damage if i ride it like 15 miles or do you think my bike will just stop running once the plugs get too sooty? I just don't want to blow my motor up is all but I'd like to ride it while the weather is nice. I was about to park it till winter and do a full tear down and rebuild the motor and get it bored out while I'm in there. What do you guys think? 
I'd just hate to not ride it while the weather is nice.

Andrew

• Dig it!
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #111 on: July 31, 2014, 12:45:16 pm »
Actually I just pulled my plugs and they look better. And not wet. Should I adjust the air screws to 1 and 3/4 or a touch down from 2 turns?
This is the best I've seen them ever! What do you guys think?

I think this is way better than before. Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

Andrew

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #112 on: July 31, 2014, 02:23:10 pm »
rich will only prematurely foul plugs and ultimately cause some excessive build up in the valve train. Where they are now, I'd like to see you really ride the bike, more than 15 miles of city commuting. Get on some more open road, wind up the motor (4,000-8,000) and clean out the chambers. You'd be surprised at how those plugs might sharpen up.

One thing Ive noticed, new owners/riders are sheepish at really revving these older bikes thinking "its 40 years old, I need to go easy". When in fact, the opposite is more true. Wind it up, ride it where it was designed to be ridden. They like to breathe and they like to run above 6,000. But ride where its safe, and keep your 2-5 gear shifts above 4,500. Then report back.

• Dig it!
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #113 on: August 02, 2014, 12:49:37 am »
That sounds like a plan. I haven't taken it above 40 because it's been running rough and I don't want it to blow up on me but I guess if I get all the crud cleaned out of the valve train it'll probably do ok. I sync'd the carbs the other day and it ran worse. It kinda confused me because the bike was warmed up and running fine but after that it just ran like garbage. I did everything right and shut it down and snapped the throttle a few times then started it back up and it was in sync. Maybe I'll take it on a hard ride down the highway and see how she goes. Maybe tomorrow before work. We'll see though because Pittsburgh drivers are the worst and I need to be a little more comfortable with this bike.

I did take some pictures today though. Enjoy!

Synchronization!

My dad riding my bike for the first time.

And a few pictures in the back yard.
That A$$!

I like the vegetation around it. Really makes it pop!

Thanks for looking guys!
Andrew

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #114 on: August 02, 2014, 06:33:55 am »
Just don't let it become yard art!

If you're not running that bike over 40mph yet, there's lots of your problems. You're "lugging" the engine. Wind it up. If your commute is -40mph traffic, ride in second gear and notice the torque response. Maybe up to third, but stay out of 4th gear altogether. You'll see a drastic difference once you move the RPMs up. You may also discover other carb tuning issues...

Hope like hell you're wearing a helmet always. Dad too!

• Dig it!
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #115 on: August 03, 2014, 12:50:03 pm »
I always wear a helmet  :D . I just made my dad ride it for a second just down the street so he can catch the 400four bug and work on his 75 Supersport that's been collecting rust and dust since 89ish. I'll definitely ride it at higher rpms to clear out the valve train. Would you guys suggest anything like seafoam in the gas tank to loosen up any crud still in the motor? When the weather gets nice when I'm not working I'll try and get the juices flowing on that beast.

Thanks for all your advice man. I appreciate everything you guys say because I'm running blind with no experience with these bikes other than what I've learned on the fly.

Andrew

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #116 on: August 03, 2014, 01:20:04 pm »
SeaFoam can't hurt, buts it's not a miracle cure.

Offline bjbuchanan

• Master
« Reply #117 on: August 04, 2014, 06:53:47 pm »
Keep the 11$ and just rev the little bastard. What RPM range do you ride? The 400f is pretty much gutless under 5 grand and could be part of your plug fouling issues.

Due to the lack of an accelerator pump we run overrich to mask the leanness when whacking the throttle. If you ride essentially at idle, or the throttle just barely cracked you are much more likely to foul plugs out. I ride my 750 around at like 5k rpm min, hope nobody has a window open lol.

Another thing that will foul the plugs fast and hard is the choke. Use the minimum to get it started and turn it off as soon as the bike can handle it. As long as the idle doesn't race insanely or the bike dies take that clutch off. I had to learn that one myself in the winter. I could barely chug along until really winding it to blow out the carbon.
The dirty girl-1976 cb750k, Ebay 836, Tracy bodykit
Round top carbs w/ 38 pilots, middle needle position, airscrew 7/8ths out, 122 main jet
Stock airbox w/ drop in K&N, Hooker 4-1

Don't trust me alone with a claw hammer and some pliers

• Dig it!
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #118 on: August 06, 2014, 10:21:10 pm »
I ride it pretty hard now. It seems to work well other than not knowing if I'm getting the temp too high. The way it runs is that I start it up without choke and after it warms up I reach down and adjust the idle down once it warms up and idles too high. Probably a bad way to run her but I adjusted the choke too much last time I had the carbs apart and haven't gotten around to adjusting it again. I basically ride it like I stole it now but not being dangerous about it if you know what I mean. It seems to be running much better after doing all that hard riding.
Thanks for the advice man. It really makes me appreciate this bike more being able to actually ride it without breaking down. The only thing I noticed was after I filled the tank she dribbled a small amount of gas on the ground but not much.

Andrew

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #119 on: August 07, 2014, 05:28:33 am »
Be sure to close the petcock when you fill up. If you do, and still get gas overflowing, you've likely got a stuck float, or your float measurements are off. If the bike is tilted left, and your float level if too high, then guess what's gonna happen?

Best to spend a few minutes and get the bike warmed up, then set the idle screws properly once. It will make tuning your carbs or troubleshooting other issues a lot easier. Just wait for a rainy day, and get it done.

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #120 on: August 13, 2014, 05:04:45 am »
Andrew it's good to see you back on your bike w/ the rpm's up;how's the plug color lately ?
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

• Dig it!
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #121 on: April 10, 2018, 06:28:02 am »
I’m sorry I’ve been gone for so long. I’ve been busy with work, my kid, my life falling apart and all the good stuff life throws at you. August 31st 2014 I wrecked my CB400F that is in this post. I hit a giant dranite wall on a moldy road that doesn’t get much sun on a bend. I hit so hard that I flipped off the bike and fractured my shoulder blade, jammed my knee, busted my knuckles, hit my head on the wall (no helmet), all the controls went into my left leg and I landed after I flipped off the bike facing the street with my back on the tank. The bike was pretty jacked up and I took a long break from my bike. 3 years later I started messing with it in the basement at my parents house since I lost my girlfriend and she tried keeping me away from my child because she had a new boyfriend and I had severe depression. I got her going again! She changed a little in color, carbs are perfect after getting them rebuilt 90 times by myself, dynatek electronic ignition with 5ohm coils (I got tired of messing with the points and I know I’m terrible for getting rid of them), new sprockets 17 front and stock in the rear, and a bunch of other stuff. I do have a new helmet my sister bought me and I gained a brother in law who was on the cover of street chopper a few months ago so there’s that. The bike is running excellent and I’ll post a picture of the amazingness once I get my photos off my old phone of all the painting and all that Jazz.

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
« Reply #122 on: April 10, 2018, 06:31:25 am »
Sounds very fortunate that you survived,  good that you're back at it...Larry

• Dig it!
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #123 on: April 10, 2018, 06:39:42 am »
I’ll figure how to post pictures again. I’m just posting this because it’s been awhile. I ride a lot even though it’s been snowing and stuff. Only laid her down once when I was sick and rode the bike because I was not thinking straight and rode when the roads were icy and the bike went right out from under me and and took 15 feet to get it back up because of the sheet of ice and the tires sliding on the ice. That was a interesting day when I got to work throwing up and seeing things because of my fever... anyways, I’ll post a bunch of pictures for you guys. Sorry for bringing back my old thread from the dead.

• Dig it!
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #124 on: April 10, 2018, 06:43:47 am »
I’m getting the bike in better shape. I just need to straighten the tank out and not wreck again. One girl I was seeing pushed the bike over twice when she was drunk and mad at me for thinking I took her wallet and cell phone. Ha! So I need to repaint her again.  :'(