Author Topic: Cb400f Pittsburgh project  (Read 18486 times)

Offline Super400SuperSport

• Dig it!
  • Enthusiast
Cb400f Pittsburgh project
« on: December 23, 2013, 10:38:22 pm »
Back story:
I found this bike on craigslist for $300 and I jumped on it since it was the exact bike my father had back in the early 80's and I loved his bike! He stopped riding it in 1989 because parts got "stolen" off it (probably my mom).

This is my fathers bike as of now sitting since 1989.
I loved playing motorcycle rider on this when I was a child.

So when I brought this bike home I spent 2 months or so working hard fixing wiring and getting carbs torn down and cleaning and anything I could then all of a sudden... I had no time to work on it with what time I had. so I wrenched on her quietly in the middle of the night while my son and everyone was sleeping and making sure not to make a peep. After awhile I got too busy with my son and the project stopped almost completely. (Insert sad/sob story here)....

I ended up moving into my good friends house who is the first person I met out here after I moved here from California and his garage fit my bike nicely. I started at the carbs and kept moving from there.

With Paint in my lungs and carb dip on my hands I was plugging away and replacing old/worn out parts with new ones that actually work and aren't 38 years old (not that there's anything wrong with old things obviously). The handle bars had to go as we'll with everything that sat on them.

And this is how she sits as of now. Still lots of work ahead of me. I'm going to need a bunch of help and I appreciate any help I can get. I'm a Automotive mechanic but not a bike mechanic so anything I can learn will help my father and I get our machines going after not running for so long.

Thanks for your interest.
Cheers!
Andrew

Offline 4bangin

• Rebuilding one bolt at a time...
  • I am a Honda Guy.
Re: Cb400f Pittsburgh project
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 06:36:37 am »
I like the splatter paint looks good. Very unique keep it going I have a 1 year old son, so I know about the lack of time available. Keep up the good work it looks good.
1978 550K out of order sold.
1973 500K3 check for leaks and squeaks.
1976 550K wife's.
1972 CL175 sold
1989 NT650 under construction.

• Dig it!
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 10:40:16 am »
Thanks man. I am trying to do my own thing. That splatter happened by accident at first but then I saw that it looked good so I kept with it. I was trying to paint around the HONDA with black on the left side and dripped paint so I just started getting mad when it stuck on there so I just kept with it. These carbs are a PITA.

• Dig it!
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 06:24:40 pm »
So I have been working on this for a bit and here's where a lot of stuff is posted from when I got started.

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=114638.0;all

Offline Kashmired

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 11:07:43 am »
hey, as a local Cb400f rider with an unhealthy obsession of these bikes ill be watching your build and hope to see you out riding soon, u know after the temps get out of the negatives
Current Collection: 1977 Honda Cb400f
1981 Honda Cb750f (Cb900f Motor, Mototech Ontario 1000cc Kit)
1989 Honda CB-1
1992 Honda CBR600 F2
1972 Kawasaki F7
1973 Kawasaki F7

Offline 2strokeTrush

• Can you get that back together sonny?
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 02:41:36 pm »
What kind of paint did you use to paint your clutch and sprocket covers?
If You Aint First Your Last!!

350F project-http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=133079.0

500F Project-http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=135660.0

• Dig it!
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 01:33:59 pm »
I used black, green and clear engine enamel in a spray can that you can get at any auto parts store. I work at Pepboys so it's less expensive with my discount and it works just fine. On the tank and seat I used plastidip because it's pretty good stuff and if you get a scratch or anything it is easily sprayed over and it looks like nothing happened or I can just peel it off and redo the paint. It's great stuff.

• Dig it!
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 05:04:52 am »
To see what I've done up to this date check out my other thread but I'm going to start posting on this one from now on and not in the new members area and in the project log. Thanks for checking me out! And if you have any comments I'd like to hear them good or bad.

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=114638.25#lastPost

I would like to keep posting on this thread from now on. Thanks!

Andrew
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 09:01:19 am by Super400SuperSport »

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2014, 09:39:54 am »
Andrew,
 It'd be good to remove your coils and do some "bench surgery" on them if possible....

Do you have a bench and a vise ? I haven't had any experience splicing coil wires onto those stock coils;Every time I'd see a bike come into the shop like that in the past we would tell them to replace the coils.
I think other members here know more about splicing those high tension leads and we'll wait to hear from them.
This coil wire problem really NEEDS to be dealt with before going on to other things.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 09:42:42 am by grcamna2 »
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

• Dig it!
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2014, 10:40:20 am »
I'm sorry, I am stupid. I am obviously not checking things before I say them. The coils are fine and I must have mixed up what I was saying. The spark plug boots need replaced is what I mean. They are molded and in there Tight and I'm sorry for making you think they were broken. My mistake because I got a little mixed up because I haven't messed with the plug boots or spark plugs in about 6 or 9 months. I'm going to purchase the NGK plug boots next pay and get the right spark plugs. We sell those NGK spark plugs at my work. I'm missing the weather cover on #3 also so I think that should be sealed properly.
I do have a vice at my new place but I still need to move the bike. Ill order new points from Honda and capacitors. How much do you think those run round about and should I get a new points plate?

Andrew

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2014, 10:45:27 am »
Andrew,
It's GOOD to hear that your coil wires are nice  :).Those resistor caps always have troubles so it's good to replace them.
I buy lots of parts online from motogrid.com You can order the correct ones(ND) right off of the parts description page.

Good news that you don't need coils.

• Dig it!
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2014, 11:33:34 am »
They only appear to have one of the points I need but the other is discontinued or something. Are the diachi points really that bad? I do most of my Buying on EBay because of convenience and everything but it seems those are the only ones on there. I can check at the dealership and check and maybe for some off the wall reason they may have them.

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2014, 11:45:00 am »
They only appear to have one of the points I need but the other is discontinued or something. Are the diachi points really that bad? I do most of my Buying on EBay because of convenience and everything but it seems those are the only ones on there. I can check at the dealership and check and maybe for some off the wall reason they may have them.

Andrew,
 I wouldn't go NEAR those cheap Chinese Diachi points.  >:(
I'll look online for you & see who has both ND points.Try doing a search for NOS(new old stock) TEC Honda points.

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2014, 11:56:07 am »
Andrew,
I just checked hondaparts-direct.com and it looks like they have both sets of points.
Condensers are easy to source,just make sure you get Fresh(no older than 4 years old) ones.

• Dig it!
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2014, 01:27:31 pm »
That's ROCKIN! Thanks, I appreciate all the resources you know of since I'm new to the Supersport stuff so it helps me out a lot. Once I get all this stuff together it will be running after I do a few adjustments on the whole motor then adjust the carbs with my sync pro. It's getting there though. Maybe it will be completely finished by next summer if everything goes wrong but if not it may be running in about a month and a half depending on how much free time I get.

Andrew

• Dig it!
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2014, 04:47:52 pm »
If anyone is just joining me and didn't see my other thread I'll give you a quick run through.

I have been messing with the carbs a lot and broke cylinder #2 boot so I replaced that since it's a 34 year old bike and they became brittle. I bought them from EBay from the 400fourstore and also bought a sync pro to do carb synchronization.

I need to replace my points because they are getting all mucked up.

My spark plug boots need replaced because I am not exactly thrilled with them because they have had loose connections on them before.

I pulled her out of the garage for a few pictures because she needed fresh air from being couped up and not seeing the light of day.

There's that update incase you are just joining me. Everyone has been so helpful and I appreciate everything Larry and Bill are doing to help me out with this project bike and any input all you folks add would be great also! Say anything even if it's just to say hi or any ideas you got that can make something easier or from your experience. I am more than happy that I found such a awesome forum with helpful folks!

Cheers!
Andrew

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2014, 05:15:02 pm »
Andrew,  any way of rerouting the throttle cables so they don't stick out? ...Larry

• Dig it!
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2014, 05:56:51 pm »
I've been thinking about that for a long time but the only thing I can think of is getting shorter ones but I have no idea on how I would go about that. Maybe I can run them down the other side of the bike and maybe they'll shorten up a little or maybe I can try getting bicycle ones and custom fit them somehow? The clutch cable sticks out also. Do you have any ideas? It kinda looks less clean with them sticking out.

Andrew

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2014, 06:07:02 pm »
Are the cables from a 77?  or 75/76?  Larry

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2014, 06:07:21 pm »
Take off the tank and then remove the cables from the twist grip finally and then re-connect them to the carbs. Keep re-routing them in all kinds of different around-a-bout ways until their extra length is used up and they route smoothly when you turn the steering lock to lock,keep at it until you're satisfied and then put the tank back on and try some more until you're Sure they won't bind at all..,it's a Sure PAIN to do but will reward you if you can finish it in less than 5 hours  ::)
 it might not take you near that long,but it's worth while if you're satisfied that the handlebar cables are smooth and not binding anything;if you don't want to bother,it'll still work the way it is.Make SURE that the throttle cable Won't stick when you're done  :o .

• Dig it!
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2014, 07:01:28 pm »
Larry it is a 1975. I was also thinking on trying and rerouting but I can also see it may start binding. So far It may have a adjustment issue because of the hard bend also. All the cable adjustments are maxed out also. I'll take a picture to show you guys when I get home.

Andrew

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2014, 07:53:12 pm »
I was thinking the cables may have been for a 77, which are longer than the 75

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2014, 08:46:45 pm »
Larry,
I think they Must have put longer cables on it at some point.
I looked up the top of this thread at the pic Andrew posted when he first brought it home and noticed the "mini ape hangers".

• Dig it!
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2014, 09:04:19 pm »
That's true! I never thought of that. My dad wants those for his bike so I guess I should give the cables to him. I guess I should get new cables which was a plan. Haha!

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2014, 02:00:53 am »
That's true! I never thought of that. My dad wants those for his bike so I guess I should give the cables to him. I guess I should get new cables which was a plan. Haha!

I have had good luck with the Motion Pro replicas,  some people have not but I was pleased with the ones I got and especially happy with the price-don't think I paid more than 45 for all three cables...Larry