Author Topic: 4 into 1 Yosh Style exhaust for 75-77 CB400f Super Sport  (Read 16035 times)

Offline Damfino

• Sneaky, Evil, Magnificent Bastard of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Look at the grouse! NYUK,NYUK,NYUK!
Re: 4 into 1 Yosh Style exhaust for 75-77 CB400f Super Sport
« Reply #75 on: November 15, 2013, 08:41:46 pm »

What? You never heard of a 'Carpyism' Stev-o?  ??? ???
Your Message Here!
You can still call me 'Schmitty'

1976 CB 750
2014 CB 1100DLX
2015 Harley Davidson Freewheeler

You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy.
Charles Manson

You've got to watch your back in the SSDB, this is where the clever guys get bored with bike talk and make poo jokes.
I like my women a little big. Natural. Now, they shave this and wax that. It's not right. I love natural women. Big women. This trend in women has to go. Bulomia, anorexia. That's just wrong. You know what will cure that? My special sticky buns. One lick of my sticky buns and your appetite will come right back. ~ RIP Mr. Borgnine  01/24/1917 - 07/08/2012  :'(

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #76 on: November 15, 2013, 08:46:38 pm »

What? You never heard of a 'Carpyism' Stev-o?  ??? ???

No
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Damfino

• Sneaky, Evil, Magnificent Bastard of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Look at the grouse! NYUK,NYUK,NYUK!
« Reply #77 on: November 15, 2013, 08:54:02 pm »

Just a few examples from his website....

"Cleaner than my cats arse !!!!!!"

"Now that all the parts are grounded off, this will be ready to get dipped and then blasted to make sure everything is cleaner the my cats sausage."

"I am stoked the way the swing arm looks, and fitting the 16 inch rear wheel inside that void, will definatly make this rear end look tougher than old bacon."

"Just a skeleton but soon to be Cooler than liquid Nitrogen"

"She hangs out like Drunks at a 7-11."

"Yep, a vintage A.R.D. magneto with more sparking than the YORBA LINDA fires."

Need I post more??
Your Message Here!
You can still call me 'Schmitty'

1976 CB 750
2014 CB 1100DLX
2015 Harley Davidson Freewheeler

You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy.
Charles Manson

You've got to watch your back in the SSDB, this is where the clever guys get bored with bike talk and make poo jokes.
I like my women a little big. Natural. Now, they shave this and wax that. It's not right. I love natural women. Big women. This trend in women has to go. Bulomia, anorexia. That's just wrong. You know what will cure that? My special sticky buns. One lick of my sticky buns and your appetite will come right back. ~ RIP Mr. Borgnine  01/24/1917 - 07/08/2012  :'(

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #78 on: November 15, 2013, 09:19:22 pm »

Just a few examples from his website....

"Cleaner than my cats arse !!!!!!"

"Now that all the parts are grounded off, this will be ready to get dipped and then blasted to make sure everything is cleaner the my cats sausage."

"I am stoked the way the swing arm looks, and fitting the 16 inch rear wheel inside that void, will definatly make this rear end look tougher than old bacon."

"Just a skeleton but soon to be Cooler than liquid Nitrogen"

"She hangs out like Drunks at a 7-11."

"Yep, a vintage A.R.D. magneto with more sparking than the YORBA LINDA fires."

Need I post more??

No
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline faux fiddy

• Just becaus I'm the second post on the pissed off thread doesn't mean I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • bike in a box
« Reply #79 on: November 16, 2013, 06:56:25 am »

Things just aren't the same when Mick isn't reaming the noob a new one.
Now what am I going to do for excrement?  :)

Fixed that for you.
^^^^^^^/l^^^^^^^^^^^^^^/l^^^
. . ______/ l_________________/  l
<'  '  '   '  o .  . . . . . . .................(
 ' VVVVV'   ')))))____>-''''''''''''''''''\  l
' . vvvv_   -              -                 \/

Offline faux fiddy

• Just becaus I'm the second post on the pissed off thread doesn't mean I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • bike in a box
« Reply #80 on: November 16, 2013, 08:26:04 am »
Everyone

I think the key point being asked is if there is interest or a need for new a performance pipe for the CB400F?  In my opinion there is a need for a performance pipe made in North America.

Stock pipes are great within a certain range of performance and I have multiple sets stashed away for my mostly stock bike. 

My projects need pipes except my twins, which I have one extra stocker that needs a weld.  Not sure what course to follow but I want to avoid brazing.  And then I have some more angular straight chopper pipes that a PO  assembled on with car muffler clamps.

No $ spendable but if,  put me notice if you want to dump extras cheap and live where I can arrange pickup.  Maybe a budget will come along, but  now plans for the 350 is to weld a can off an fz to a stock spaghetti pipe and plenty glad not to start from scratch as the 'experts.'  Jetting for one thing is a pita I probably will have to deal with anyway, but  It  is neat to know that when you bottom out your shocks and/ or are turning a certain way that your pipe is 
NOT in the way of the front tire and  causes you to crash.

That being said I'm glad I have something stock  to start with just to have somewhat quiet rather than a  runner running straight headers.

I discussed  the 350 with an older guy who has a shop and he sung the praises of the 4-into 4 and seemed to dislike the larger 400 tank  , he must have got to love the earlier mode of styling. I counter offered him and took a  400 tank on a deal where he was shooting me a price and wanted to sell me an extra 450 tank with other stuff.  If I wanted to change styling on the 350 I could use it to make a 'cafe'. But I guess the hypothetical bike build  in this thread is going to be  budgeted, cut and modded and look like something different either way?

« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 08:50:32 am by faux fiddy »
^^^^^^^/l^^^^^^^^^^^^^^/l^^^
. . ______/ l_________________/  l
<'  '  '   '  o .  . . . . . . .................(
 ' VVVVV'   ')))))____>-''''''''''''''''''\  l
' . vvvv_   -              -                 \/

Offline ag12680

« Reply #81 on: November 20, 2013, 10:05:49 pm »
Here is part of the problem.
 Yoshi style headers are short, welded solid, and dont flex much.
 In the mid 70s when you bought a header for a bike like Hooker, Jardine, etc, they usually went on easy and fit well..

New to the thread - and looking for a Yosh (like) pipe for my 400 project.   I owned a 75 with a 458 Yosh kit and hand bent racing pipe, bored carbs, lots of head work etc.  Every time you pulled the oil filter you had to pull the pipe.  Unlike the stock exhaust you had to spread the pipes to bring them into the exhaust ports and use double asbestos seals because they leaded so much.  But, what a sound….  Have heard no other like it since.

Anyway, I'd appreciate a pointer to the most reasonable Yosh pipe copy.  Don't want chrome.

Thanks,

Andy

Offline Tim2005

• Expert
« Reply #82 on: November 21, 2013, 11:54:25 am »
Andy, if you're after new then it's a choice between the Marving (pic above somewhere, are available in black) and the MC-Again http://www.mc-again.com/cgi/parts.cgi?CAT=%81%A1%83G%83%93%83W%83%93%89%F4%82%E8%81F%94r%8BC%8Cn , afaik there aren't any others of this style on the market now

Offline kyre

• Hot Shot
    • CB400F / 466 Build Thread
4 into 1 Yosh Style exhaust for 75-77 CB400f Super Sport
« Reply #83 on: November 21, 2013, 05:58:20 pm »
This is another company that makes them. http://japan.webike.net/products/9357623.html

Member jessezm on this forum got one and it looks decent and I believe he really likes it. I think there are a few options to choose from too. 

Or you could wait 8 years scouring eBay for a vintage yoshima like I did. It's made so I dont have to take the headers off to change the oil filter and in my opinion is nicer than the yoshimura. 
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 06:00:05 pm by kyre »
CB400F / 466 Build Thread (currently in progress)
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=105027.0

Offline 123mclaren

« Reply #84 on: December 08, 2013, 01:26:25 pm »
Yoshimura sells a hand bent header for around 1200$ fits no problem. Just have to remove the centre stand. Can do an oil change as well.

Offline Powderman

• Master
    • Creative Candy Powder Coating
« Reply #85 on: December 08, 2013, 01:31:08 pm »
Yoshimura sells a hand bent header for around 1200$ fits no problem. Just have to remove the centre stand. Can do an oil change as well.
Defeats the purpose of this thread which is looking for an affordable alternative than getting bent over without Vaseline for a pipe that costs more than what we have in the rest of the bike.

Offline 123mclaren

« Reply #86 on: December 12, 2013, 04:53:54 pm »
Wow just because something is expensive doesn't mean it's rape. It's only an option, no need to cry bout it. Sry for mentioning it.

Offline FunJimmy

• Who you calling
  • Old Timer
  • Vancouver
« Reply #87 on: December 12, 2013, 06:07:19 pm »
Defeats the purpose of this thread which is looking for an affordable alternative than getting bent over without Vaseline for a pipe that costs more than what we have in the rest of the bike.

I call BS! While I'm not advocating spending a grand on the exhaust, but if your total build budget is $1200 or less, you're doing a disservice to yourself.
You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrist's office!

CB550 Cafe Interceptor a Gentlemans Roadster
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=27159.0

Offline Kevin

• Hot Shot
« Reply #88 on: December 18, 2013, 04:46:35 am »
A few things about 400F pipes.

The MC Again pipes are very nice, the pipes from the head to collector are almost identical to the Yoshima hand bent pipes, after the collector they are different. They used to cost $475 plus $50 for delivery anywhere in the USA. I know because I was the importer. Was is the key here, there currently is no distributor outside of Japan.

The Yoshimura system is nice too, if memory serves me it was $800 a few years ago. The big problem with the Yoshimura system was that you could not fit an oil cooler sandwich adaptor with the header installed. The MC Again system had no problem and you can do an oil change w/ filter without removing the header.

I have an original Kaz Yoshima pipe on one of my bikes, and it is a pain in the ass to remove and install. For one thing the pipes aren't perfectly round where they attach to the head so each one of the exhaust pipe joint collars is ground down to fit each pipe for either the top half or the bottom half, all eight of them are different from each other so I have to look at each one for the scribe marks to make sure they go back in the same position.

The stock exhaust is tuned beautifully to the stock carbs, but it weighs a ton and can scrape when leaning right. Most café project bikes don't come with a nice set of stock pipes, so to suggest that someone keep the stock pipes is probably not going to work.

Just my two cents. I don't need any pipes at the moment  :P
A couple of 400F's and a
'98 Suzuki Intruder VS1400 ~ for long rides

Offline 123mclaren

« Reply #89 on: December 18, 2013, 04:58:45 pm »
Kevin have you seen one of the newer yoshimura pipes and do they have the same problem with the oil cooler?  Was gonna order an Earls system but now you got me worried

Offline Kevin

• Hot Shot
« Reply #90 on: December 19, 2013, 12:42:34 am »
123Mclaren,  I don't know when they changed over to the "New" system, but I know the header they were producing 5 years ago was not compatible with the sandwich adaptor.
A couple of 400F's and a

Offline Tim2005

• Expert
« Reply #91 on: December 19, 2013, 01:37:07 pm »
A few things about 400F pipes.

The MC Again pipes are very nice, the pipes from the head to collector are almost identical to the Yoshima hand bent pipes, after the collector they are different. They used to cost $475 plus $50 for delivery anywhere in the USA. I know because I was the importer. Was is the key here, there currently is no distributor outside of Japan.

The Yoshimura system is nice too, if memory serves me it was $800 a few years ago. The big problem with the Yoshimura system was that you could not fit an oil cooler sandwich adaptor with the header installed. The MC Again system had no problem and you can do an oil change w/ filter without removing the header.

Hey Kevin, good to see you are about. I was lucky enough to get my hands on a MC-Again pipe a few weeks ago, and yes it will fit with an oil cooler sandwich plate in place- I haven't tried a filter change but it looks like there's room to do that too.

Just a couple of things I would mention though- firstly, the MC-Again fouls the stock rear brake pedal, you either need to use rearsets or a custom brake pedal at the very least.

Secondly, even with the baffle fitted it does sound fantastic but it really is extremely loud, much louder than a Marving which is in turn much louder than a stock pipe, this may not be a problem for everyone but it'd be a problem for legality in some places and there's no way it would pass the UK race tracks' noise limits which are typically 102db. Of course it's possible to make up a more serious baffle, but there's not that much pipe to fit it inside.

Finally, there's no rear support bracket on it at all, it just hangs off the cylinder head. I can't see that's a very good long-term idea so I'll add a rear mounting of some sort too.

Cheers

Offline Kevin

• Hot Shot
« Reply #92 on: December 20, 2013, 03:26:09 am »
Tim,
I'm curious as to how you obtained your MC Again header, as I'm sure a few of the other guys would like to get their hands on one too. I've had several emails from people wanting me to start importing them again but I'm not in a position to do it right now.

Also, they used to have a couple of different baffle options available, I usually ordered the street version instead of the race version.
And I'm sure there was a lug and a small bracket supplied that used the factory exhaust hanger loop to secure the back end of the pipe....maybe they have changed their design....?

A couple of 400F's and a

Offline Tim2005

• Expert
« Reply #93 on: December 20, 2013, 01:41:03 pm »
Hi Kevin, I actually bought it from a guy in Surrey UK, Russ, who "imported it from the US about 7 years ago" - so at a guess it has been through your hands already! Good info on the baffle, though if this is the street one I can't imagine how loud the race version is...

Offline y2kc0wb0y

• B00msh0cka
  • Hot Shot
  • Shoot the pickle....
CB750K3 890cc| 2004 VFR800A| 76 CB550F| 77 CB750F| 73 CB350G| 79 XLH| 2007 BMW R1200GS| CB750K2

Offline FuZZie

• Expert
  • If I is expert, I can has cheezburger?
« Reply #95 on: January 19, 2014, 06:07:30 pm »
"YOSHIMURA style" I'm not seeing that bit, is there another pattern I missed?

Offline FunJimmy

• Who you calling
  • Old Timer
  • Vancouver
« Reply #96 on: January 19, 2014, 06:57:28 pm »
"YOSHIMURA style" I'm not seeing that bit, is there another pattern I missed?

I think the "Yoshimura style" refers to the absence of a (conventional) muffler, but you gotta like the workmanship. Nice!
You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrist's office!

CB550 Cafe Interceptor a Gentlemans Roadster
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=27159.0