Author Topic: Stator cover bolts needed  (Read 1096 times)

Offline Jayelwin

• Hot Shot
Stator cover bolts needed
« on: January 27, 2014, 07:45:38 am »
So I got a full set of stainless bolts with Phillips heads from a well known seller of such items. The heads of the screws are a little bigger then the OEM which is no problem except for the three screws surrounding the Honda logo on the stator cover. The bigger heads don't fit into the depressions. He is willing to replace them with the hex type screws that he says definitely fit but I'd like to find Phillips heads that fit. Anyone know where I can get M6 1.0 x 20mm screws in stainless steel with a small enough head (like the originals) that will work? I am using the 40 year old originals right now but with my new shiny stator cover they're like little ugly blemishes.

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
Re: Stator cover bolts needed
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 08:00:36 am »
My local dealer shows them as a 6x20 at 99 cents each.  Have you tried buffing the heads on your old ones on a wheel if you have one or some other form of polishing ?

Offline Jayelwin

• Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 08:11:34 am »
My local dealer shows them as a 6x20 at 99 cents each.  Have you tried buffing the heads on your old ones on a wheel if you have one or some other form of polishing ?

That's a thought. The idea was posed also to grind down the new heads, but I'm sure that would be difficult to get right.

Offline wowbagger

• Not much of an
  • Expert
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 08:26:15 am »
I'm actually looking for a new bolt set for my cb500. Where did you end up getting your set from?

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 08:47:03 am »
I think if you buff the zinc off the OEM screws you'll end up shiny at first and rusty soon after.

ACE Hardware has them in Stainless and Chrome.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline wowbagger

• Not much of an
  • Expert
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 08:53:00 am »
I think if you buff the zinc off the OEM screws you'll end up shiny at first and rusty soon after.

True statement....which is why I am now looking for a reasonably priced bolt kit.  :-[

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 08:57:49 am »
I've buffed them lightly with a cloth wheel and some rouge and they have held up pretty well. Wire wheel would be too aggressive on them.

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 08:58:39 am »

True statement....which is why I am now looking for a reasonably priced bolt kit.  :-[
There is a member here who does them. I'll look for a link.

Here tis, Jim Spillane

http://www.metrocast.net/~spillane/index_002.htm

Don't know about pricing, relatively.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 09:01:41 am by MCRider »
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline alacrity

• Expert
  • Ride, Optimize, Repeat
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 12:39:09 pm »
why not use stainless socket head cap screws? THe heads are narrower (cross section) and they are strong.
I recently restored and sold a 77 cb750f, and am nearly finished with a (former basket case) cb750k5.  This is a place to share, learn and enjoy.  I am grateful to and for 99+% of this site's membership.

Offline Jayelwin

• Hot Shot
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 02:49:46 pm »
I used James Spillane.

And I buffed the hell out of the old ones. :-(.

Nic

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 04:07:02 pm »
I just put em in the drill press, run a file over them until the size is right, then a few different grits of paper, polish on the wheel, SS the right size, easy. Although for the 3 that hold the Field Coil in I prefer to use allen heads but I grind the heads down so they don't stick out proud of the cover and polish as before, you can get a much better torque on them to hold in the Field Coil without banging into the cover with an impact driver.

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2014, 04:15:47 pm »
He kinda of said he wanted to keep the Phillips look--Jeez send me 3 bucks and I will go to my Honda dealer   ::)

Nic

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2014, 04:24:10 pm »
Off you go then.

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2014, 04:31:14 pm »
Off you go then.
Not till I get the 3 bucks  :D   There are a lot of options, some easy and others more complicated than some guys have tools or skills to perform. Screws and bolts are usually the easy part of a resto or mod build though.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 04:33:49 pm by ekpent »

Offline 750cafe

• Hot Shot
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2014, 08:02:32 pm »
I get all of my metric stainless steel fasters from these people: http://www.metricmcc.com/
They have a few different locations around the U.S. and the World.

Call them and ask if they have what you desire.

Eric
Is there anything more fun than riding? They are between your legs and are quiet when you turn them off.