Author Topic: Lucas Style Tail Light Grounding to original wire fun fix  (Read 1099 times)

Offline jamesv220820

• Hot Shot
Lucas Style Tail Light Grounding to original wire fun fix
« on: January 27, 2014, 10:53:11 am »
Hey Guys I bought a lucas style taillight and just like many other people wondered "there is only 2 wires here while the original light has 3 wires?  So looked through the forums and everyone listed the extra wire is the ground wire.  The lucas taillight doesn't need that because it grounds through the frame but many people have had problems with it grounding it through the frame and decide to use the original ground wire .  They say to just solder on a little electrical connection to the bulb housing.  Now if you are like me and don't like soldering because you aren't good at it and don't trust your solders here is a nice 30 second fix!!

You can see the original taillight has the ground connection on it

and the lucas style taillight does not

So since I don't trust my solders thinking a big bump in the future could make the connection fall off this is what I came up with to recreate the original!

Get yourself a double wire hose clamp and a fuse connector from your local ace or true value.

DOUBLE WIRE HOSE CLAMP @ 42 cents

AND A FUSE CONNECTOR @ 36 cents

And the rest is just putting the pieces together.

It is a very light hold and even pulling hard on the connector with pliers doesn't let it budge which is very nice!  If you wanted to you could bend the connector a little bit more if you are scared it would pop out but I don't see this thing coming out.

-James
There is nothing to fear but fear itself . . . and trying to restore a cb350f

Offline vames

• Expert
Re: Lucas Style Tail Light Grounding to original wire fun fix
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 11:24:20 am »
Looks strong and built to last, but you should still learn to solder. It's super easy and the skill will come in handy some day.

Offline jamesv220820

• Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 05:11:09 pm »
Looks strong and built to last, but you should still learn to solder. It's super easy and the skill will come in handy some day.

Oh I know but when I did a search related to the Lucas Tail light many people were talking how they had problems soldering on a connecter on the taillight so this is another option for those people like me.
There is nothing to fear but fear itself . . . and trying to restore a cb350f

Offline tomkimberly

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 07:05:32 am »
Unless you solder the connection, you will continue to have to have the Prince of Darkness visit you.......

Offline vames

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 07:43:45 am »
Unless you solder the connection, you will continue to have to have the Prince of Darkness visit you.......

Lucas....use the Force.

Offline bjbuchanan

• Master
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 10:22:42 pm »
I ran a green ground with a crimp on eye to one of the mounting bolts. Pretty invisible too, just a thought
The dirty girl-1976 cb750k, Ebay 836, Tracy bodykit
Round top carbs w/ 38 pilots, middle needle position, airscrew 7/8ths out, 122 main jet
Stock airbox w/ drop in K&N, Hooker 4-1

Don't trust me alone with a claw hammer and some pliers

Offline jason405

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 05:58:07 am »
Ya, you really need to solder that connector.  It really isn't that hard. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline LesterPiglet

• Old Timer
  • 1977 CB550F2
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 06:00:03 am »
You won't be doing any damage by experimenting with soldering, give it a go.
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Draw and drawer. Could care less/couldn't care less. Bought/brought FFS.

Les Ross.            Certified by a Professional

Offline wowbagger

• Not much of an
  • Expert
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 06:19:59 am »
I ran a green ground with a crimp on eye to one of the mounting bolts. Pretty invisible too, just a thought

+1 I moved the stock ground wire to connect to the 3rd bold where I had to drill a new hole in the fender.