Author Topic: Passionate about photography as well as motorcycling?  (Read 10567 times)

Offline Hope

• How did I become an
  • Expert
  • SOHC member since '01
Re: Passionate about photography as well as motorcycling?
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2014, 01:07:43 pm »
Guilty as charged.  I shoot digital mostly.  I have a Canon T1i with an assortment of lenses, with my Tamron 18-270 all in one probably being the most used.  I also dabble in Lomography - crappy plastic film cameras.  The crappier, the better.  lol

Me: http://www.flickr.com/photos/terceslil/

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2014, 02:43:18 pm »
100 years from now, 99.9999% of the digital images existing now will be lost, but Mathew Brady's Civil War photos will still be around.  Formats will change, and there is no such thing as archival quality digital storage media.  That being said, it has been 7 or 8 years since I've committed an image to film.  So it goes...
Greg
'75 CB750F

"I would rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question." - Dr. Wei-Hock Soon

Offline mjstone

• I'm definitly not a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2014, 03:27:56 pm »
Digital has its place and quite frankly its getting harder to find good film.  One of my many projects in the waiting line is to convert one of my Exakta backs to digital.  This would allow me still take pictures with my favorite equipment even if film totally disappears.  I always wondered why Minolta never made a digital back for the Maxxum 9000.

MJ
1972 CB500Four (Honda)
1973 CB500Four (Oliver)

Offline Schnell

• Expert
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2014, 08:36:55 am »
Digital certainly has its place. It's great for pros and for sharing via social media.

For my photography hobby, I choose B+W film. I enjoy the craft nature and the tradition of film based photography and darkroom printing. I enjoy using my old mechanical film cameras. Photography in this manner provides me with a high level of satisfaction and feeling of accomplishment.

I use my iPhone camera a lot. I do not own a dSLR.

I have about $250 of B+W film set aside for my big trip. My main cameras will be a Rolleiflex and a Leica M2. Ahhh, vintage cameras and vintage bikes!
A good traveller has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving. --Lao Tsu

primary: 1974 Honda CB750
long term, now resting: 1981 BMW R100/7
project: 1971 Honda CL350
project: 1974 Honda CB450

previous:
1975 Honda CB750
1973 BMW R90/6
1981 Suzuki GS650
1973 Honda CD175

My little website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2014, 09:30:10 am »
Happened upon this on a photo site I visit frequently. It pretty well sums up how I feel about film.

"..when someone has the original negative, that's treasure. The actual light from the actual subject came through a lens and nudged a few silver atoms on the negative. Ninety nine years later you can still see the mark that light left.."

I also prefer B/W and process my own. I'm not a film or die person though. I also own and use a Nikon D600.
We'll all be someone else's PO some day.

Offline Dimitri13

• Not a
  • Master
  • 1974 CB550K
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2014, 10:18:57 pm »
Keeping this thread alive.

I just recently got into film. Was shooting digital for about a year prior. I still shoot both. One is not better than the other. They both have their merits and faults. If I want to have fun shooting, I'll shoot film. If I want to get the picture taken and be able to share it online quickly, I'll shoot digital.

With that being said, I prefer film, simply because I enjoy the experience. They're always unique conversation pieces as well, especially when you get away from 35mm and into larger formats. ESPECIALLY when you're shooting around people who grew up with it.

I shoot mainly cruise nights and other classic automotive related events. Cameras have the same effect the cars do. They bring back memories. "I remember taking my old Nikon F with me on a trip across Europe and meeting the most interesting people," etc etc. If it's not the nostalgia, it's the curiosity of the uniqueness. I've been playing around with a Mamiya C33 (TLR). Everyone's always curious why it has two lenses, why it's so big, etc.

I also shoot with a Canon A-1 with a Speedlite 199A. Not much to say about that.

I do about 50-50 between B&W and color. The B&W I can develop myself, though I haven't yet. I JUST picked up a complete developing setup, but no printing capabilities. I have an Epson scanner 4490; may upgrade to V5-600. The color I just send off to get developed. I have no desire to get into developing it myself. I'm still getting used to everything myself.

Not really digging the TLR anymore. It was mainly for my woman, who hasn't used it yet because she's not up to par on exposure and such. She's working on it though. I just bought myself a Mamiya RZ67 Pro II setup though. Can't wait.

Also forgot, I have a Miranda Sensorex, which was my FIRST film camera. I still use it occasionally. Bought a bellows for it, and I'm having fun with it. Very difficult to work with, especially with a crappy tripod. Used about 6 of the 36 exposures. Gonna take me a long time to get through it.

Some of my film shots.

Offline Schnell

• Expert
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2014, 05:55:56 am »
Niiice!
A good traveller has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving. --Lao Tsu

primary: 1974 Honda CB750
long term, now resting: 1981 BMW R100/7
project: 1971 Honda CL350
project: 1974 Honda CB450

previous:
1975 Honda CB750
1973 BMW R90/6
1981 Suzuki GS650
1973 Honda CD175

My little website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Offline bluezboy

• Hot Shot
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2014, 06:19:19 am »
Keeping this thread alive.

I just recently got into film. Was shooting digital for about a year prior. I still shoot both. One is not better than the other. They both have their merits and faults. If I want to have fun shooting, I'll shoot film. If I want to get the picture taken and be able to share it online quickly, I'll shoot digital.

With that being said, I prefer film, simply because I enjoy the experience. They're always unique conversation pieces as well, especially when you get away from 35mm and into larger formats. ESPECIALLY when you're shooting around people who grew up with it.

I shoot mainly cruise nights and other classic automotive related events. Cameras have the same effect the cars do. They bring back memories. "I remember taking my old Nikon F with me on a trip across Europe and meeting the most interesting people," etc etc. If it's not the nostalgia, it's the curiosity of the uniqueness. I've been playing around with a Mamiya C33 (TLR). Everyone's always curious why it has two lenses, why it's so big, etc.

I also shoot with a Canon A-1 with a Speedlite 199A. Not much to say about that.

I do about 50-50 between B&W and color. The B&W I can develop myself, though I haven't yet. I JUST picked up a complete developing setup, but no printing capabilities. I have an Epson scanner 4490; may upgrade to V5-600. The color I just send off to get developed. I have no desire to get into developing it myself. I'm still getting used to everything myself.

Not really digging the TLR anymore. It was mainly for my woman, who hasn't used it yet because she's not up to par on exposure and such. She's working on it though. I just bought myself a Mamiya RZ67 Pro II setup though. Can't wait.

Also forgot, I have a Miranda Sensorex, which was my FIRST film camera. I still use it occasionally. Bought a bellows for it, and I'm having fun with it. Very difficult to work with, especially with a crappy tripod. Used about 6 of the 36 exposures. Gonna take me a long time to get through it.

Some of my film shots.

Wow, your wonderful photo are a prime example of why film is still KING! No matter how many digital programs they create to simulate film, they will never match the depth, tone and saturation of film. There's nothing like holding a negative and getting excited about it. When was the last time you held a pixel up to the light?  I can usually spot a fake B/W photo a mile away. I love my Mamiya 645 and my Nikon F, but I do own a Nikon DSLR, a D1X which is a great camera. Like some one said on here, film is real art, and digital is disposable.

Offline Dimitri13

• Not a
  • Master
  • 1974 CB550K
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2014, 03:19:49 am »
This is my new toy.

And here's a few shot with Portra 160.

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2014, 08:16:41 am »
Very nice system there.  ;)
We'll all be someone else's PO some day.

Offline Dimitri13

• Not a
  • Master
  • 1974 CB550K
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2014, 12:05:18 am »
My A-1 is going in for service. Famous Canon squeal. Also picked up a Canon 17mm f/4. Rectilinear ultra-wide angle, absolutely fantastic lens. Mamiya RZ67 still going strong. Picked up a Bronica ETR several months ago, and I LOVE it. Picked up a Nikon F4, currently not working. Sending that in as well.

All shot with my Mamiya C33. Film is Kodak Portra 400 and Fuji Velvia 100.

And for my favorite shot:

Here's a few shots from the local Distinguished Gentleman's Ride. A few of each: Canon A-1, 17mm; Bronica ETR, 75mm, Mamiya RZ67, 180mm soft focus.

http://imgur.com/a/xsYy4

Offline mjstone

• I'm definitly not a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2014, 10:04:10 am »
Just added a Sony A900 to my collection.  I can use all of my Minolta Maxxum lenses with it and many of the Maxxum accessories as well.  Picked up a Konica Minolta 5600HSD flash and the Sony Vertical grip to go with it.  The grip lets me use 2 batteries for a total of more than 1600 shots on a charge. ;D

24.6 Megapixels and the SteadyShot anti shake system works with all my Maxxum lenses including the ones made in 1985.  Awesome camera, but a lot to learn.

MJ
1972 CB500Four (Honda)
1973 CB500Four (Oliver)

Offline Dimitri13

• Not a
  • Master
  • 1974 CB550K
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2014, 10:20:42 am »
Nice! Sony's really coming up, especially in the mirrorless market. Only thing holding me back from looking into an NEX series mirrorless, is that I have projects to finish.

Maxxum lenses are all AF, correct? I have a maxxum 7000 and the 35-70 f/4 kit lens somewhere on my shelf. First AF film camera I ever owned (other than the rebel 2000 i found on the closet). Something just fun about hearing the AF motor whirring loudly.

Packing up my F4 and A1 to send out today. Hopefully the F4 can be fixed. If not, hopefully the lady I bought it from will be nice and work Something out with me.

Offline Dimitri13

• Not a
  • Master
  • 1974 CB550K
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2015, 12:53:52 am »
F4s has a dead PCB. :( Lady gave me an F3HP in exchange. She was also going to sell me an enlarger, but one of hers broke (she's a photography teacher at a private school) so she had to keep it.

I bought a Canon 20D and Tokina 11-16 f/2.8.

Also bought a Nikon F5 and MF-28 back to replace the F4S. Best camera I've ever used. Sooooooo much functionality with the back too.

Here's a few shots I took with the pictured grimy Olympus.

And here's some shots.

Offline bluezboy

• Hot Shot
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2015, 12:41:27 pm »
Wow, I love the saturation of the Portra 160, I've never used it but I will be buying some soon. Thanks for keeping real photography alive!

Offline mjstone

• I'm definitly not a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2015, 08:03:07 am »
Nice! Sony's really coming up, especially in the mirrorless market. Only thing holding me back from looking into an NEX series mirrorless, is that I have projects to finish.

Maxxum lenses are all AF, correct? I have a maxxum 7000 and the 35-70 f/4 kit lens somewhere on my shelf. First AF film camera I ever owned (other than the rebel 2000 i found on the closet). Something just fun about hearing the AF motor whirring loudly.

Yes, all Maxxum lenses are AF.  The thing to remember is, that unless you get a full frame sensor, all of these 35mm lenses will work like telephoto lenses.  If I recall the NEX series are 2/3 frame.  My A900 is full frame so I can use these lenses and get the same field of view that my 35mm cameras give me.  If you get the DT lenses, they are for 2/3 frame sensors.  My A900 has special modes that crop specifically for these lenses.

In my kit, I'm currently using only Minolta Maxxum lenses and they date from 1985-99.  I use a 50mm f1.7, a 24-50mm f4, a 30-70mm f4 Macro, a 70-210mm f4, and a 75-300mm f4.5-5.6

With appropriate adapters you can use the old Maxxum flash units, but it is better to use a digital flash.  I use the Minolta 5600 HSD and it fully supports all the A900 flash modes.  No adapters needed.

MJ
1972 CB500Four (Honda)
1973 CB500Four (Oliver)

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2015, 07:46:27 pm »
This pic was taken shortly after sunset with a Cannon AE-1, on a dry lake-bed in the southern California high desert, most likely with ectachome 200 or 400 slide film.
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....