Author Topic: Carpy 4-2 Dunstall exhaust  (Read 3704 times)

Offline The other Derek

• Merely an
  • Enthusiast
Carpy 4-2 Dunstall exhaust
« on: February 13, 2014, 07:24:55 pm »
It feels like it's been forever since I ordered the backordered HM341 pipes from David Silver.  Last time I checked with them there was no news as to when they would be shipping.

Stumbled onto this 4 into 2 exhaust that Carpy is offering now.

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/caferacer/caferacer001/?action=view&current=001_zps32cc21c2.mp4

I'd prefer to have the HM341s (or even HM300s), but it'd be really nice to get a little bling on the bike this spring.  Will DSS ever have them in stock again?

Anybody tried these yet?

I guess I've got a couple of months still.  This winter has sucked ass.  I'm getting a little stir crazy.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 06:46:53 pm by The other Derek »

Offline The other Derek

• Merely an
  • Enthusiast
Re: Carpy 4-2 Dunstall exhaust
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 06:46:25 pm »
I guess someone needs to be the guinea pig.  I ordered the exhaust and hope to have it in the next week or two.

Offline Davez134

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 07:31:12 pm »
I was very close to ordering those but wasn't 100% convinced they would clear the triangle/passenger peg support on my 72. All the pics on the site have that triangle cut off. Very curious to see them on yours!

Offline david 750f

• Expert
  • 1976 CB750F
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 07:31:39 pm »
The original Dunstalls had good cornering clearance. I'd be interested to hear if the reproductions are the same.
1976 CB 750F

Offline Rookster

• Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 07:37:33 pm »
These are not Dunstall reproduction pipes.  The Dunstall pipes were 4 into 1 into 2. These are just 4 into 2 pipes that mimick the position of the Dunstall mufflers.  There is a company that actually owns the Dunstall name. It would be funny if they went after all the stuff marketed as Dunstall that really has no connection to anything ever produced by Paul Dunstall

Offline david 750f

• Expert
  • 1976 CB750F
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 07:48:57 pm »
Thx for the info Rookster...
1976 CB 750F

Offline Bootlegger56

• Butch
  • Hot Shot
  • Nuthin' taps ya out quicker than cole corn likker!
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 09:27:07 pm »
Regardless of the accuracy of the design; I too would be interested in how they fit on a stock frame setup with the rear peg mounts still in place.  I wasn't all that thrilled with the funky upper shock mount brace deal.  Some might like it but not me.  I would like to see pics too! 
Ya can travel near or ya can travel far; but no matter where ya go thar ya are!

750 K5
550 K1

Offline The other Derek

• Merely an
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2014, 09:51:49 pm »
I'm a little concerned about the passenger peg mounts too.  We'll have answers soon!  (And some pics)

Offline mrbreeze

• Not your average
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Shut up when you're talkin' to me!!
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 10:13:26 pm »
I'm not a fan of that design (pea shooter) but they look bad a$$ from the rear view. I also would never mount to the upper shock. It looks bad. I say keep the triangles and mount to them. I have a couple of Kerker megaphones that had the mount brackets rewelded to that area and they don't look good but better than the strap. I wish they gave you a choice.......bracket at back to mount with strap to upper shock or bracket to mount to triangle.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 12:19:52 am by mrbreeze »
MEMBER # 257
Fool me once..shame on you. Fool me twice..I'm kickin' your a$$......

Offline The other Derek

• Merely an
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 06:13:35 am »
The strap to the shock mount will be avoided if at all possible.  My thought was to mount it to the passenger peg triangle, but I guess the clearance needs to be there first.  Chopping the frame isn't something I'm interested in doing.

Offline sourjon

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 07:07:39 am »
I'll be watching this with interest. I have a basket case 71 I'm rebuilding and it didn't came with exhaust. That strap to the shock mount is hideous on an otherwise good looking bike. Gotta be a better way than that. I hope that's a stock photo and I'm not dissing somebody's bike.

John

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2014, 08:54:21 am »
Carpy's known for pushing the line, but to be fiar he does say "Dunstall Style" which is to me clearly different from Dunstall Replica or such as that.

AS to the upper shock mount, if done right (this isn't) I like it. I have a one off RB (Robert Bane) Racing pipe. Handmade as a Honda Endurance racebike replica. The mount is a flat tab bent in a dbl L at the shock mount. ITs then a piece of 1/4 inch steel rod traveling perfectly in line with the shock rod to the muffler tailpiece, where it is once again welded to a flat tab which is bolted to the tailpiece. Virtually invisible from the side, only slightly so from the front or rear.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline FunJimmy

• Who you calling
  • Old Timer
  • Vancouver
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2014, 09:41:27 am »
I like them. Nice to see another option to the over done Yosh replica pipe.
This pipe doesn't require removal to change the filter either.
You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrist's office!

CB550 Cafe Interceptor a Gentlemans Roadster
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=27159.0

Black 750K8

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2014, 09:54:16 am »
Carpy's known for pushing the line, but to be fiar he does say "Dunstall Style" which is to me clearly different from Dunstall Replica or such as that.

AS to the upper shock mount, if done right (this isn't) I like it. I have a one off RB (Robert Bane) Racing pipe. Handmade as a Honda Endurance racebike replica. The mount is a flat tab bent in a dbl L at the shock mount. ITs then a piece of 1/4 inch steel rod traveling perfectly in line with the shock rod to the muffler tailpiece, where it is once again welded to a flat tab which is bolted to the tailpiece. Virtually invisible from the side, only slightly so from the front or rear.

Hey MC I would love to see a pic if you could dig one up sounds nice something I could do in the shop but I can't quite picture it in my mind.

Black 750K8

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2014, 10:07:31 am »
What I noticed had nothing to do with the pipes. For such a nice bike (in some ways). Did you here it when he dropped it into first and when he came back and down shifted? I thought he would have done better for a sales add. I would like the stainless. First I need to talk to him about the triangle mount and if they will be polished. I don't see a issue changing the rear mount if they are made to order anyway.

Offline LesterPiglet

• Old Timer
  • 1977 CB550F2
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2014, 10:56:56 am »
It sounds a like a horrible old twin to me.   ???
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Draw and drawer. Could care less/couldn't care less. Bought/brought FFS.

Les Ross.            Certified by a Professional

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2014, 10:57:58 am »
Carpy's known for pushing the line, but to be fair he does say "Dunstall Style" which is to me clearly different from Dunstall Replica or such as that.

AS to the upper shock mount, if done right (this isn't) I like it. I have a one off RB (Robert Bane) Racing pipe. Handmade as a Honda Endurance racebike replica. The mount is a flat tab bent in a dbl L at the shock mount. Its then a piece of 1/4 inch steel rod traveling perfectly in line with the shock rod to the muffler tailpiece, where it is once again welded to a flat tab which is bolted to the tailpiece. Virtually invisible from the side, only slightly so from the front or rear.

Hey MC I would love to see a pic if you could dig one up sounds nice something I could do in the shop but I can't quite picture it in my mind.

My shop time begins around 4P. I'll snap a photo. Its hanging on the wall like at Cracker barrel.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline pjwalsh

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2014, 11:25:36 pm »
Hey Derek, any news on the new Carpy exhaust?

Offline samfig

• Sr. Fig
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2014, 09:21:19 pm »
I need a picture!
-1973 CB750

Offline The other Derek

• Merely an
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2014, 07:37:38 pm »
The exhaust was damaged during shipping.  I ended up picking a set of repro HM300s from DSS.  Here's a pic of the new exhaust but not the one you were hoping for.

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2014, 07:46:13 pm »
The exhaust was damaged during shipping.  I ended up picking a set of repro HM300s from DSS.  Here's a pic of the new exhaust but not the one you were hoping for.

Works for me! :D
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline The other Derek

• Merely an
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2014, 06:22:09 am »
Me too.   ;D
The 4-2 from Carpy was a compromise to allow me to run chrome on both sides of the bike.  When I got the chance to grab the HM300s I did not hesitate.

The 4-2 from Carpy can be mounted with the passenger triangles (at least from my quick check), but you won't be able to mount the pegs without some sort of bracket.  The mufflers are slightly higher than the factory peg location.

Offline samfig

• Sr. Fig
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2014, 08:29:41 am »
Me too.   ;D
The 4-2 from Carp was a compromise to allow me to run chrome on both sides of the bike.  When I got the chance to grab the HM300s I did not hesitate.

The 4-2 from Carp can be mounted with the passenger triangles (at least from my quick check), but you won't be able to mount the pegs without some sort of bracket.  The mufflers are slightly higher than the factory peg location.

Exactly the info I was looking for.  My wife likes to go for rides so I can't really compromise the rear pegs.  Also, I am very jealous of your new pipes.  You bastard! ;D
-1973 CB750

Offline Lostboy Steve

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2014, 10:40:03 am »
It feels like it's been forever since I ordered the backordered HM341 pipes from David Silver.  Last time I checked with them there was no news as to when they would be shipping.

Stumbled onto this 4 into 2 exhaust that Carpy is offering now.

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/caferacer/caferacer001/?action=view&current=001_zps32cc21c2.mp4

I'd prefer to have the HM341s (or even HM300s), but it'd be really nice to get a little bling on the bike this spring.  Will DSS ever have them in stock again?

Anybody tried these yet?

I guess I've got a couple of months still.  This winter has sucked ass.  I'm getting a little stir crazy.

It looks pretty bad ass. Can't wait to see it.
1968 Honda Z50
1977 Honda CB550K
2018 Indian Scout