Author Topic: cb550F and sport fairing  (Read 3676 times)

migopod

cb550F and sport fairing
« on: May 21, 2005, 03:58:54 pm »
I just picked up a cute sport fairing from the local cycle parts pusher, and it came with mounting
hardware but no instructions.  The pusher seemed very sure that it would fit the 550, but i'm not
sure how exactly to get it to fit with the stock marker lights and clubman bars.

The fairing is the small, rounded type (resembles the one jcwhitney sells:
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/tf-Browse/s-10101/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2000644/showCustom-0/p-2000644/N-111+600002006+10211/c-10111

and the pusher suggested that it mounts to the headlight by means of two angular pieces of strap steel.

Has anybody mounted a fairing like this on a cb, or is the more square-shaped fairing the more
likely fit?

Thanks!

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
Re: cb550F and sport fairing
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2005, 07:14:50 pm »
It should fit, you just have to bend the mounting hardware to get the correct fit for your bike.  You probably won't be able to use the stock turn signals, unless you figure out some way to mount them elsewhere.  I had a similar fairing on my 750 with clubman bars for a short while.  I didn't really like it, though.  It didn't fit the styling of the bike, I couldn't use the turn signals, and it would keep leaning back just enough to vibrate against the master cylinder cap. 

I may try to use it again on my 550K once I decide what I want to do with it. 

Offline neckyzips

• Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2005, 01:05:14 pm »
it should mount to the bolts that hold your head light on, left and right side bend the metal supplied to fit around the headlight, if you want to use your stock turns, then you either have to cut holes in it large enough for them to fit through or notch out the fairing to fit around them. gordon is right, the last one i used never really staied where it was ment to, if you install it, run a pice of thin metal strap from the bottom of the fairing to the cable hold down bolt on the lower tripple that should keep it from rotating back, and you really shouldnt be able to see it.
good luck !

migopod

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2005, 09:47:43 pm »
cool.  I might go down and hack away at the fairing with the ol' coping saw.  I do have to say tho', that since I pulled off the "street shield" that i've had on that thing for a few years, that I'm rather liking the simple front-end.

Thanks for the assistance!

Kimze

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2005, 06:53:07 am »
Hi Migopod
My bike is a cb 750 and i dont know if  the front/headlamp /winkers is the same.
I just mounted a "bullet" fairing (seems the same like yours) and it fits just perfect.
Se attached pics.
Regards from Denmark. Kim

migopod

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2005, 12:36:07 pm »
i'm pretty sure that the markers are a little bit (~3cm) too high to do that.
I'm told that front markers are optional for street-legalhood around here, so
i might temporarilly box up the lights and see if it fits that way.

I also might be able to exend the marker light arms  just enough to make it fit with
some fairing modification.

I like the method of drilling the fairing to attach directly to the marker light bolts tho'
very sneaky!

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2005, 08:32:34 am »
Here's a picture I saved of a 550F that I really like the look of.  I like how he's installed fairing mounted mirrors and turn signals.

Very slick!

Offline Killer Canary

• Master
  • Typical Bran Muffin
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2005, 04:05:00 pm »
I filled in the stock holes and painted them then welded up a brace that bolts to the fairing ears and handlebar mounting bolts.I can grab the mirrors(fairing mount) and turn the forks.Can put up a pic of the brace if you like Also, I trimmed 3/4" off the bottom of the screen and trimmed the rear of it flush with the fairing body.Also moved stock lollipops to fork ears.Check my pic in the gallery.
If it's worth doing at all it's worth over-doing.
Honda MT250, CB400F, CB450K, CB550, GL500, CBR929
Kawi GPz900, H1

Offline Chris Liston

• Expert
    • http://christopherliston.com
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2005, 12:05:10 pm »
Killer,  Can you post a pic of the bracket you made.  Just got the same fairing and looking at all possible mount options.
2008 Triumph Speed Triple Black and NASTY
1976 CB550F Cafe in progress
http://christopherliston.com
http://gallery.sohc4.net/main.php?g2_itemId=2402

Offline hymodyne

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2005, 01:25:49 pm »
I've got this type fairing on my 500.
 I had to replace the front turn lamps with smaller universal turn signals* mounted to the lower portion of the fairing. I used metric bolts on each side of the headlight bucket to mount the steel slotted straps that hold the fairing in place. Also fabricated a steel support bracket for the bottom of the fairing to hold driving lights.  the windshields are very fragile, I broke one after it tapped the wall of my garage once when my bike tipped off its stand. when I bought the new windshield, I slit a small diameter of rubber/vinyl tubing lengthwise and glued it around the perimeter of the windshield for combing.

scoring the windshield with a very sharp utility knife, I cut out a notch for the clutch cable and the brake Master cylinder.

works so far,

hym

* the above pic is of the fairing with stock turn signals mounted to the bottom the fairing (supported with the steel bracket mentioned above) I've since switched to small universal lamps
"All things are ready if our minds be so."

Offline Killer Canary

• Master
  • Typical Bran Muffin
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2005, 05:42:10 pm »
Finally.
If it's worth doing at all it's worth over-doing.
Honda MT250, CB400F, CB450K, CB550, GL500, CBR929
Kawi GPz900, H1