Author Topic: Cold starts - is there any tips or tricks  (Read 8560 times)

Offline trueblue

• A person who has had many interesting experiences, some of which are true, is known as an
  • Old Timer
Re: Cold starts - is there any tips or tricks
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2014, 03:35:00 am »

PS: I never find it necessary to twist the throttle beforehand, but it should help you fill the bowls quicker if you do. This is not really necessary as trueblue has mentioned.
It isn't on the early 750's, which I said if you read my post properly.  I was simply saying what I have to do for my 650.  If you don't prime it with some fuel it won't start from cold no matter how warm it is out.  Just the way it is.

Hi True blue, i was actually agreeing with you.  :D
Yeah sorry about that, I really shouldn't post after a 12hr day at work  :-[
1979 CB650Z
Nothing can be idiot proofed, the world keeps producing better idiots.
Electronic Guages for your SOHC 4

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2014, 12:44:40 pm »
Years ago when i was a kid & mowing lawns, my father would always teach me to let the mower stop by turning off the fuel and just let it die by fuel starvation. This kept the carbs clean he said, so next time you start it up, it fires right up.

Having this in my mind all these years continues this habit on the sohc. About 500 metres from home, I turn off the tap & the bike usually just starts to die off as i'm in the driveway about to turn it off and park it.

Different machines have different physical configurations.

Most carbs have their own local fuel storage (float bowl).    The carb uses this supply to feed the engine.  Some carbs do suck the fuel out of the carb from the bottom of the bowl.  The SOHC4 carbs do this only during 1/3 to full throttle positions (main jet supply).   The pilot jet sucks fuel not from the bottom, but about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom (most likely to evade sediment).  Therefore, during a fuel exhaustion event, the pilot circuit starves first, which generally kills the engine, as it relies on this feed supply during idle, leaving the bowl about 1/3 full.

If you hold the throttle at 1/2 position and the engine is racing high enough, it may well starve the supply at the bottom of the bowl(s) as well.  But normally, the engine simply cannot run the SOHC4 bowls totally dry.  That is why bowl drains are far far more effective at removing all gas residue from the carbs.
Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Black 750K8

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2014, 12:57:04 pm »
My '78 CB750K has the choke on a spring return and I have trouble holding that out, turning the throttle, and pressing the start button. Not enough hands!! Anyone have the same problem or am I doing it wrong?
                                                Doug

Sorry but yes you are doing it wrong. Sounds a lot like Flybox I think maybe someone else a few years ago. Just below the knob you pull is a locknut usually has a black rubber cover on it. If you snug that up a little it will hold the choke up for you. I think Fly's was missing or broken if that is the case you have to get a new cable. While you are at it make sure the fast idle cam is set  like the service manual says that will make it idle at about 2500rpms until you push the choke down a little then it comes off the cam.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 07:57:35 pm by Black 750K8 »

Offline CB750F2

• Hot Shot
  • Pat's first Honda 750 F2
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2014, 02:52:36 pm »
G'day Scott. Which direction are you heading and how far? Pat
Regards
Pat from Australia

AJK

« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2014, 03:06:23 pm »
Years ago when i was a kid & mowing lawns, my father would always teach me to let the mower stop by turning off the fuel and just let it die by fuel starvation. This kept the carbs clean he said, so next time you start it up, it fires right up.

Having this in my mind all these years continues this habit on the sohc. About 500 metres from home, I turn off the tap & the bike usually just starts to die off as i'm in the driveway about to turn it off and park it.

Different machines have different physical configurations.

Most carbs have their own local fuel storage (float bowl).    The carb uses this supply to feed the engine.  Some carbs do suck the fuel out of the carb from the bottom of the bowl.  The SOHC4 carbs do this only during 1/3 to full throttle positions (main jet supply).   The pilot jet sucks fuel not from the bottom, but about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom (most likely to evade sediment).  Therefore, during a fuel exhaustion event, the pilot circuit starves first, which generally kills the engine, as it relies on this feed supply during idle, leaving the bowl about 1/3 full.

If you hold the throttle at 1/2 position and the engine is racing high enough, it may well starve the supply at the bottom of the bowl(s) as well.  But normally, the engine simply cannot run the SOHC4 bowls totally dry.  That is why bowl drains are far far more effective at removing all gas residue from the carbs.

Thanks TT,
 Yes you are right. What i mentioned about turning the tap off will not drain the bowls, only the drain screws can do that. All i was getting at was if its going to be stored for sometime, the sediment/gum/gunk should be confined to the bottom of the bowls only rather than the rest of the carb, making for an easy cleaning job of the bottom of the bowls only & keeping the carbs cleaner in general.
  For long term storage, then the drain screws are the way to go as you mention.

Offline Doggie

• Hot Shot
  • CB550F, CB650c, CB550k, Cb750K
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2014, 08:26:40 pm »
Great..I will try that the next time I start her.
                                                              Doug

Offline Scott

• 72 CB750
  • Expert
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2014, 12:32:01 am »
Gday Pat
How are you.  Mate I have 5 or so weeks to ride around, no exact plans yet,but.
I'll go north from Sydney due to it being winter.  I was tossing up Cape York but heard it is a bit busy that time of year, so maybe up top somewhere and then over to Darwin.
Maybe even up the guts taking in the Birdsville track (that's why the cold start question)
I've been to Darwin a few times camping and love it up there mate.

If your thinking of going for a ride around June/July for a bit let me know. (hang on you do like beer don't you)

Scott