Author Topic: Seeking Opinions About Next Bike Purchase  (Read 7390 times)

Offline ChrisP.

• Hold my drink and watch this...
  • Enthusiast
Seeking Opinions About Next Bike Purchase
« on: March 12, 2014, 07:12:33 am »
I am looking for a SOHC CB to purchase. I really think I want to stick with the CB750 search but have a lead on a CB550 that is about $750.

Story on the CB550 - The bike was brought into a shop to clean/tune the carbs and never picked up. So the bike looks complete but has sat for a year or more. The bike doesn't run and does not have a title.

So if you were in my boots, should I take on the CB550 or hold out for a running CB750. (Side note: I do have technical and mechanical know how to work on bikes in general)

Thanks
Chris P

1973 Honda CB750K3

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
Re: Seeking Opinions About Next Bike Purchase
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 07:21:28 am »
How hard is to get a title for it?

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 07:21:38 am »
Hi Chris.....welcome from Lake Travis!

Sounds as if you really want a 750 but may be willing to settle for a 550? A 550 was my first SOHC and after riding it on the highway and getting blown around, I sold it and bought a 750. I did miss the 550 for "around town" riding and ended up buying another, both is ideal!

As you may have found out, SOHC's can be difficult to find in Texas or expensive when you do.
A fellow member here, The Architect, had a nice 750 for sale last year, last I heard it did not sell. It was fairly priced and nearly complete but needed minor work. He is located in Houston.
I can touch base with him and see if it is still available if you are interested?

'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline MikeKato

• Enthusiast
  • Milwaukee WI
    • TCB true life stories
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 07:35:35 am »
I am looking for a SOHC CB to purchase. I really think I want to stick with the CB750 search but have a lead on a CB550 that is about $750.

Story on the CB550 - The bike was brought into a shop to clean/tune the carbs and never picked up. So the bike looks complete but has sat for a year or more. The bike doesn't run and does not have a title.

So if you were in my boots, should I take on the CB550 or hold out for a running CB750. (Side note: I do have technical and mechanical know how to work on bikes in general)

Thanks

Just because you buy a bike from someone that's tired of storing someones bike,doesn't necessarily mean you own it. Better ask the seller some questions and get a detailed receipt before you start putting a lot of time and money into getting it ready for the road. Ask him for the name of the person that brought it to his shop and see if he's willing to give up the title.

Offline Duke McDukiedook

• Space Force 6 Star General
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Wish? Did somebody say wish?
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 07:46:09 am »
Yeah, a clean title would make it more buyable.
Depends on how much work needs to be done and what you want to do.
"Well, Mr. Carpetbagger. We got somethin' in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."   Josey Wales

"It's Baltimore, gentlemen. The gods will not save you." Ervin Burrell

CB750 K3 crat | (2) 1986 VFR750F

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 07:49:15 am »
How hard is to get a title for it?

Not hard, just some paperwork and you have to purchase a surety bond [$100?] then you will receive a bonded title.  I have a couple bikes that I need to do this to.
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline ChrisP.

• Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 07:50:58 am »
Thanks for the welcome Stev-O!
Unfortunately there really isn't any "around town" riding in my area, more like open 2 lane highways into the countryside.  I did have a DR350 in college and it was plenty fast for running around small town of Huntsville, TX.

Any help in locating a good running SOHC CB750 would be greatly appreciated and may be ideal for my size I think.

MikeKato:
I agree with what you're saying and it is why I never pulled the trigger on this bike for over a year now.

70CB750:
Boded title would be the way to get a title after the 3 year grace period.

DukieDukenDuke:
I agree. Probably could be back to running with replacing necessary parts for about additional $500
Chris P

1973 Honda CB750K3

Offline lrutt

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 09:39:42 am »
Why would they not get a mechanics lien on it, then go through the process and get a clear title?? Seems obvious to me. Don't have to go thorugh all that other stuff.
06 Harley Sporster 1200C, 06 Triumph Scrambler, 01 Ducati Chromo 900, 01 Honda XR650L, 94 Harley Heritage, 88 Honda Hawk GT, 84 Yamaha Virago 1000, 78 Honda 750K w/sidecar, 77 Moto Guzzi Lemans 850, 76 Honda CB750K, 73 Norton 850, 73 Honda Z50, 70 & 65 Honda Trail 90, 70 & 71 Triumph 650s, 65 Honda 305 Dream, 81 Honda 70 Passport, 70 Suzuki T250II, 71 Yamaha 360 RT1B, 77 BMW R75/7, 75 Honda CB550K, 70 Honda CT70

Offline ChrisP.

• Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 09:59:33 am »
lrutt: the guy said he didn't want to mess with the titling process but if he did, he would sell it for a lot more. He says the bike isn't in his way so he doesn't worry about it.
Chris P

1973 Honda CB750K3

Offline Gman

• Hot Shot
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 02:20:44 pm »
Bad idea.  Unless the mechanic owns it (and not by default b/c it is sitting in his shop), it's not really his to sell.  3 months from now, you're riding around and the PO sees you on it and decides to say it was stolen, you're either hosed or have a sh*t-ton of paperwork and explaining to do.  Realistically probably wouldn't happen, but stranger things have... 

My $0.02

Peace,
G
'76 CB550K
Stock airbox, MotoGPWerks 4-1, HondaMan ignition, Lesters

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 03:15:26 pm »
Thanks for the welcome Stev-O!
Unfortunately there really isn't any "around town" riding in my area, more like open 2 lane highways into the countryside.  I did have a DR350 in college and it was plenty fast for running around small town of Huntsville, TX.

Any help in locating a good running SOHC CB750 would be greatly appreciated and may be ideal for my size I think.

If you're an expeariieded rider, than the 750 is for you. I just heard back from The Architect, he still has the CB750 that was for sale last year but he "borrowed" the motor out of it. So, not ready to sell at the moment.

I can find you a bike!  What's your budget?

Offline ChrisP.

• Enthusiast
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2014, 04:08:03 pm »
Thanks for checking with The Architect for me. I really like both the SOHC Honda CB750 and the KZ 900/1000 bikes. Asking what my budget is a loaded question. I'll tell you what I am looking for and you can tell me what the going market is asking... Deal of the century is always favorable.
I would like to have a bike that runs to make sure I don't have a basket case. Not necessarily looking to restore a bike to showroom stock but don't want to have to hunt down a bunch of parts or put back together someone else's "project" I've learned my lesson on my '67 VW Ghia with regards to projects in boxes. I saw that there is a CB750 in the north San Antonio area on Craigslist for $2500. I could eventually get there if I can sell off my '70 VW Bus "project" in a timely manner, to assist with funds and free up garage space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chris P

1973 Honda CB750K3

Offline Geeto67

• A grumpy
  • Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2014, 04:19:40 pm »
Asking what my budget is a loaded question. I'll tell you what I am looking for and you can tell me what the going market is asking... Deal of the century is always favorable.

Get Bent. People want to know your budget so they can make other recomendations not necessarily throw motorcycles at your feet.

I honestly would tell you not to bother with old bikes anymore. Go finance a brand new cb1100 - get ABS and a warranty. ride it a lot. be happy.

Maintenance Matters Most

Offline ChrisP.

• Enthusiast
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2014, 04:30:08 pm »
Geeto sounds like you already got bent.
I am new to this and I am learning my way through. My statement about my budget was "tongue and cheek" and you sound like a sensitive person. I cannot afford an upfront cost of $4,000 at the moment. I should be able to scratch together $1,500 -$2,000 in a month or so. Is that enough of budgetary info for you Geeto?

Chris P

1973 Honda CB750K3

Offline kerryb

• Not a very
  • Expert
  • 78 750k 74 cb550k, '83GL1100 FXSTC, 1979 Wilmac
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2014, 04:46:02 pm »
ChrisP.  I almost wish I were in Texas, I'm putting a good running '77 750 back together after paint and cleanup and I hope to get $1000 for it in ready to ride condition.  But then I'm in Buffalo and bike prices seem to be depressed here.

On your request for opinions on size, I much prefer my 750 to the 550 for country riding and thruway use.  My suggestion is to keep looking for a 750.
intrigued by the wail...seduced by the scream.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2014, 05:45:56 pm »
Chris - I saw the ad for the CB750 in SA. That is an F model, looks pretty nice.
Has a few minor mods: paint handlebars and exhaust, bet you could get it for less than his asking price if someone else doesnt jump on it.

That seems to be a fair asking price for this market. If you looked at the 750's for sale in Austin, there are priced much higher, but arent selling...yet. A lot of newbies [like you!] buy in the Springtime.

Call him and ask details about the bike: mileage, running cond, how long he's owned it, etc.
Keep it on the short list but let's keep looking. KerryB's bike should be on the list too, only $1000 or so, plus $400 to ship. That's a good deal.

Offline 70CB750

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2014, 03:16:00 am »
If it is an F, it is only Fair to mention the (potential) head issues:

CB750F can have valve guides worn out of reasonable tolerances between 20 - 30000 miles.   If you search the forum, you will find more information.

Since you want to ride more and wrench less, I would look for running early K - 1970 - 1976 - that needs paint and some TLC.

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2014, 05:05:38 am »
Do not think the 75-76 F bikes had the head problems that that the later 77-78 did. Not sure what year Steve was pointing out.
If it is an F, it is only Fair to mention the (potential) head issues:

CB750F can have valve guides worn out of reasonable tolerances between 20 - 30000 miles.   If you search the forum, you will find more information.

Since you want to ride more and wrench less, I would look for running early K - 1970 - 1976 - that needs paint and some TLC.

Offline 70CB750

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2014, 05:07:47 am »
I believe you are correct, just heads up for newbie  :)

Offline ChrisP.

• Enthusiast
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2014, 05:10:54 am »
Thanks 70CB750 for the info. I'm still trying to figure the differences between the F and K models besides the pipes. What reason(s) that you left out the later ('77-'79) K model from your suggestion? Is there something inherently wrong with them?

Chris P

1973 Honda CB750K3

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2014, 05:22:21 am »
Thanks 70CB750 for the info. I'm still trying to figure the differences between the F and K models besides the pipes. What reason(s) that you left out the later ('77-'79) K model from your suggestion? Is there something inherently wrong with them?

The 77-78 K model bikes have good engines and heads its just that they were totally restyled, some like it some don't, and parts for the earlier K bikes or more plentiful on the secondary market. Value of the earlier bikes tend to be a little higher also.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2014, 05:31:26 am »

Nothing wrong with them, many guys just prefer the looks of the earlier models better. The motor is the same but carbs and exhaust are different.   

The difference between the F and K are basically tank, seat and exhaust. Again, same motor. 

Here is a model guide. 

http://www.sohc4.net/cb750/

Offline 70CB750

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2014, 05:58:27 am »
Steve knows more - since he owned them all  ;D

Chris, 1979 was the first year for DOHC, just saying :)

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2014, 06:29:14 am »
Steve knows more - since he owned them all  ;D

Chris, 1979 was the first year for DOHC, just saying :)

Never owned a '79!

Black 750K8

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2014, 06:30:33 am »
ChrisP  Welcome to the madness  ;D
" So if you were in my boots, should I take on the CB550 or hold out for a running CB750. (Side note: I do have technical and mechanical know how to work on bikes in general)"
"riding in my area, more like open 2 lane highways into the countryside"

From the above remarks I think you would enjoy the 750. The other things to think about is YOUR size and if you ride two up. IMO that is where the 750 power will be noticed the most.

What reason(s) that you left out the later ('77-'79) K model from your suggestion? Is there something inherently wrong with them?
Other than the heads the looks is up to what you like I like both and have a 78 750K The 79 has to many cams ;D

You might want to post here for what you want
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?board=34.0