Author Topic: Charleston, WV INFO Needed  (Read 584 times)

Offline nccb

• Expert
  • 1974 CB750 Four
Charleston, WV INFO Needed
« on: July 09, 2014, 04:58:25 am »
I have a tentative job offer in Charleston, WV.  Have to wait for some background checks before its official, but I am wondering if anybody who lives up there could tell me more about the city.  The job sounds promising but I am hesitant to relocate as I have never really been to WV except to work a contract for a month.

I am curious if the city is nice, safe, and has things to do.  I know it won't be like Raleigh, but I do enjoy going to some good restaurants with the family and visiting the museums and city functions.  Also, what is the weather like up there?  I went to school in Boone, is it similar?  And is the water safe to drink!? 

If you might have any advice or information about life in Charleston and WV please do share. 

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
Re: Charleston, WV INFO Needed
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 05:20:29 am »
Think Asheville, only with fewer teeth.  ;D The city is pleasant enough, but far from cosmopolitan. I've spent a bit of time there on business, never really turned me on. Nice enough, but still stuck between heritage and progress. Very conservative and a bit myopic in general.

Weather can be quite harsh and hail is very prevalent. Make sure you have solid protected parking for your bike and car(s).

That's a surface level impression I've gotten over the past 10 years of perhaps 60 nights in the town.
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis