Author Topic: Hows this clutch look?  (Read 718 times)

Offline Puntas13

• Enthusiast
  • '73 cb500 '74 cb750 '09 Triumph Speed Triple
Hows this clutch look?
« on: April 15, 2014, 11:50:36 am »
'74 cb750

The clutch that I currently have in the bike is on its last leg. I pulled the clutch out of the the blown motor that was originally in the bike to see what it looked like. Luckily the PO(s) actually maintained this bike well and its had a new clutch put in recently.

It does have one double plate that isn't what matches up with my service manual. Springs all measure at 35mm. Friction disc look good from what I can tell.

Any input?

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
Re: Hows this clutch look?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 11:59:25 am »
Measure the friction discs at several points around the face, each disc. If they're within spec, bolt them up!

Also, double-check the plates for flatness as good measure.
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Puntas13

• Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 01:16:34 pm »
Well upon second look I've got 6 clutch plates and 6 identical friction discs. I'm assuming thats not going to work since at one end of the basket I'll end up with a plate instead of a friction disc.

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 03:42:13 pm »
You may be fine putting in one "old" piece if you need to make a stack if your looking to save some $$'s.  What year is the old clutch current engine and what year is the blown engine good clutch you are swapping. Think there was a difference in the stack in the 76 K for instance .
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 03:48:28 pm by ekpent »

Offline Dream750

• Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 05:50:14 pm »
'74 cb750

The clutch that I currently have in the bike is on its last leg. I pulled the clutch out of the the blown motor that was originally in the bike to see what it looked like. Luckily the PO(s) actually maintained this bike well and its had a new clutch put in recently.

It does have one double plate that isn't what matches up with my service manual. Springs all measure at 35mm. Friction disc look good from what I can tell.

Any input?

By having the double plate present, this looks like your 750 clutch has had the Honda “clutch chatter” modification performed sometime in the past or the clutch came from a later model engine. See the attached Honda bulletin below for more info:

Offline Puntas13

• Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 06:28:50 pm »
Wow thanks for that diagram. That answers everything.