Author Topic: 1975 CB750 K5 "Rhonda the Honda"  (Read 90349 times)

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
Re: 1975 CB750 K5 "Rhonda the Honda"
« Reply #75 on: April 11, 2015, 03:49:11 pm »
Finally got everything all buttoned up!

The blank canvas...

Permatex FormAGasket 2 goes in the recesses, then the 0.030" shims.

Then the pucks had a bit more Permatex put on their edges, and sat down into the recesses. Pressed them down as much as I could to force out any excess, then cleaned up.

Cam towers in place, before timing the cam... Thanks again, Rafi! Definitely the best way to get the cam chain, sprocket, and shaft in place can be seen in Dean's video...

Put the bearing caps on after timing the cam. Oil goes into those little recessed holes as you put it together! At this point, after releasing the cam chain tensioner, I decided to use the kickstarter to make sure I had oil coming up to the top end. YEP! Sure do! Took about 30-40 kicks to see it spurt out of those little holes. Having the spark plugs out really helped!

Everything all in place now, before setting valve clearances. I left out the 5mm rocker shaft retaining bolts, as recommended by HondaMan. I did go through and check to make sure each shaft's oil groove was visible with side to side motion of the shaft when the bolts are in place. Only one had to be widened, thankfully... #2 EX.

Valve clearances were set according to the book. 0.002-0.003 for intake, and 0.003-0.004 for exhaust. Setting valves, for those who have never done it before (LIKE ME!) is pretty straight forward. What I did was go for the smaller of the two numbers. Tighten the adjuster down LIGHTLY onto the smaller feeler gauge. It should slide in that space with some friction, but not stick. Tighten the locking nut. Check once again... the smaller one used to set the spacing should slide back in with some friction, but the larger should not go at all (or maybe with a good pull through).

After a restless night...

Upon putting the valve cover on, I forgot that I had not replaced these two screws, and they were all stripped. I managed to get them to approximately (by feel) 90 in-lbs using vise grips. Going to get some socket head M6x80mm bolts on Monday and take that breather cover off again.

And here it is, all buttoned up. Frame section put back in, too. I'm going to swap the front two frame clamps so the bolts are facing out on the bottom, rather than angled like this because of the coils.

Everything went back together after this... carbs, airbox, etc... She fired right up! No problemo! I'll post more pics, obviously, once I get those other screws replaced in the breather box. Thankfully not much has to come back apart to do those screws. It was nice to hear Rhonda sing again!
--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"
Delkevic Stainless 4-1 Header, Cone Engineering 18" Quiet Core Reverse Cone, K&N Filter in Drilled Airbox
K5 Crankcase/Frame, K4 Head and Cylinders, K1 Carbs (42;120;1 Turn)

She's a mix-matched (former) basket case, but she's mine.

CB750 Shop Manual (all years), searchable text PDF
Calculating the correct input circumference for digital speedometers connected to the original speedometer drive

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #76 on: April 11, 2015, 05:09:24 pm »
Good job!  How do you like the frame kit?   I need one...
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
« Reply #77 on: April 11, 2015, 07:06:39 pm »
Good job!  How do you like the frame kit?   I need one...

Made this whole process a lot less painful and potentially time consuming than it could have been. I highly recommend it.
--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"
Delkevic Stainless 4-1 Header, Cone Engineering 18" Quiet Core Reverse Cone, K&N Filter in Drilled Airbox

Calculating the correct input circumference for digital speedometers connected to the original speedometer drive

Offline SOHC4 Cafe Racer Fan

• Speak up, Whipper-Snapper! I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC/4 Member #1235
« Reply #78 on: April 11, 2015, 10:26:47 pm »
I would put one any 750 except a restoration.
1975 CB550K1 "Blue" Stockish Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=135005.0)
1975 CB550F1 frame/CB650 engine hybrid "The Hot Mess" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,150220.0.html)
2008 Triumph Thruxton (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,190956.0.html)
2014 MV Agusta Brutale Dragster 800
2015 Yamaha FZ-09 (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,186861.0.html)

"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them — but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one.... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba." Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature, Cycle World, March 1995.  (http://www.latexnet.org/~csmith/sausage.html and https://magazine.cycleworld.com/article/1995/3/1/song-of-the-sausage-creature)

Sold/Emeritus
1973 CB750K2 "Bionic Mongrel" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132734.0) - Sold
1977 CB750K7 "Nine Lives" Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=50490.0) - Sold
2005 RVT1000RR RC51-SP2 "El Diablo" - Sold
2016+ Triumph Thruxton 1200 R (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,170198.0.html) - Sold

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
« Reply #79 on: April 15, 2015, 05:50:00 am »
Got those two screws replaced...

Before:

After (M6x80mm 12.9 grade steel socket head):

Then I put it all back together! She starts, but it is on high grade gas and too much MMO in the tank. Going to go get some more fuel tonight, and then properly dial in the air screws. Things seem a bit rich!

Things I noticed, putting the carbs on and off for what seems like the 100th time...

1. Lubricate the rubber with something. I used saliva. Cheap, and always available.
2. The airbox rubbers seem to have a long side and a short side of what sticks out of the box. Have the LONG side on top. Now, when you rock the airbox upper half upwards to install the boots, the rubber will go right to the carb body on the top AND the bottom.
3. Make sure the carb bowls are level with the engine case (use the starter motor cover as a guide). This can be accomplished by rotating the rubber boots AWAY from the center to bring the bowls DOWN. Turn TO the middle to bring them UP. Having them level makes installing the airbox boots and holding bolts much easier, too, as you don't have to fight to push the airbox top downwards.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 05:56:53 am by evanphi »
--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
« Reply #80 on: April 17, 2015, 09:55:06 am »
Another Friday rolls in... SHOP NIGHT.

TO DO list:

Lube throttle and clutch cables (using some gun oil)
Put the holey air screws back in the carbs, and set to 1 turn
Adjust chain slack
Adjust tire pressure to 38 front, 40 rear.
Add "silent memo" drain holes (1/8" holes at lower front engine mounts)

At this point I'll probably add some fresh gas and take it for a quicky around the neighbourhood.
--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
« Reply #81 on: April 18, 2015, 03:09:06 am »
From the to-do list:

Lube throttle and clutch cables (using some gun oil)
I use a concoction called Ed's Red for my rifles. You can make a compatible oil with 1 part ATF and 1 part kerosene. This is what I used to lube my cables. I also lubed the carb linkage forks with dielectic grease. The snap-back is much better now!

Put the holey air screws back in the carbs, and set to 1 turn
We'll see if this makes a big difference...

Adjust chain slack
1" in the center. Lined up the marks on both sides of the adjusters. Easy peasy!

Adjust tire pressure to 38 front, 40 rear.
Pretty self-explanatory.

Add "silent memo" drain holes (1/8" holes at lower front engine mounts)
Ta-da! No water came out! I'll add some paint to those holes today.

Also took off the points plate and checked the runout on the advancer shaft. It was 0.030" off center (hence the 2/3 timing jitter), but I got it down to about 0.002-0.003.

What year is my advancer from? I lubed all the important spots on here, too.

Didn't get for a ride because it was after dark, and foggy. But after adding 9L of fresh gas, she started right up, just like last year when in perfect tune! I'll take Rhonda for a ride to warm up today after filing points and setting gap, then do the timing and a vac sync on a warm engine. She's ready to rock!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 03:17:49 am by evanphi »
--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
« Reply #82 on: April 18, 2015, 03:35:23 pm »

Here she is. Rhonda's glamour shot for 2015!

Filed and set gap on points. Took her for a spin. Got home, set idle to 1000RPM. Did dynamic timing of points, then a vacuum sync. Ready to show off now.

Much better power response with the needle raised a notch. Also easier starting, it seems. Looking forward to riding this year.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 10:03:26 am by evanphi »
--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"

Offline Restoration Fan

• My wife will never call me
  • Master
« Reply #83 on: April 18, 2015, 04:25:31 pm »
She sure is pretty! You do great work!

Ron
Ron

Stella - Logan's Senior Project    78 750K http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=141761.0

Logan's Reward - CB500 and CB550 Cafes    http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,147787.0.html

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
« Reply #84 on: April 22, 2015, 04:18:44 am »
--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
« Reply #85 on: April 22, 2015, 12:17:46 pm »
Just ordered a K&N air filter and kenosha_kid swingarm bushings. Hooray!
--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
« Reply #86 on: April 25, 2015, 02:50:07 pm »

New K&N Air filter. Woo. Ordered direct from K&N website.

The #2 carb clamp that I got in a set of 8 from Carpy (http://www.cb750cafe.com/) has stripped. So I put one of the old ones back on with a new (unstripped) M4 bolt. Pretty bummed about that, since now I have to find ONE stainless hose clamp with rolled edges. Balls.

Put the original float valves back in the carbs (nothing wrong with them, just an experiment with new ones last year), and set float heights to 26mm.

Once the child goes to sleep, I'll go do a warm-up run, and re-set the 2/3 dynamic timing again. When I was live-adjusting the points gap, I think I set it a little narrow. I'll knock the 2/3 points plate a bit further, then set it again.
--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
« Reply #87 on: April 26, 2015, 02:36:50 am »
Question, followed by explanation...

Q: Is 0.011" too small of a points gap?

Explain: I've run out of room to adjust my points plate... 1/4 is all the way CCW, and 2/3 is all the way CW. Using a timing light, I can get perfectly timed by "live" adjusting the points gap. Yes, I used a shim to keep the plate up, too. (As explained here) 1/4 and 2/3 both right on their F marks. BUT this ends up being only 0.011" gap at 90 degrees past F mark (max opening). Opening the gap further advances the timing too much, and then I can't move the points plate any further to retard it back to F. I know spec is 0.012-0.016... The bike runs perfectly. No misses, etc.
--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #88 on: April 26, 2015, 05:54:55 am »
Do you have Daichi points?   There has been an issue noted that with them it can be very difficult to get proper gap (and condensers going bad prematurely).

If it's running good, run it!
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
« Reply #89 on: April 26, 2015, 06:00:59 pm »
Do you have Daichi points?   There has been an issue noted that with them it can be very difficult to get proper gap (and condensers going bad prematurely).

If it's running good, run it!

Yep... Daiichis...

I guess I'll just keep things as they are. It's not like the gap is super HUGE or anything... That, I could understand as being a big problem.
--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
« Reply #90 on: April 29, 2015, 07:06:59 pm »
Got my new rear tire in the mail...

Same as before, just not worn down! Bridgestone Spitfire 130/90-17. Going to my father in laws to change it on the weekend (he has tire changer!)

Also checked the fluid level in my battery... almost all bare! No wonder my smart charger was bleeping at me! Filled with distilled... going to do a load test tomorrow.
--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #91 on: April 30, 2015, 04:53:21 am »
That's one reason I only buy sealed AGM batteries. 

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #93 on: May 02, 2015, 12:56:54 am »
Didn't know Yuasa made an maint free batt.  I have the a Scorpion in my K4.....

http://www.batterystuff.com/powersports-batteries/sYTX14AHL-BS.html

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
« Reply #94 on: May 05, 2015, 06:58:00 am »

New tire on and re-installed. Turns are much more confident now!
--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
« Reply #95 on: May 05, 2015, 10:23:18 am »
Changed my rear tire yesterday, and in taking off my sprocket, I found that my rear cush drive rubbers are from a Hondamatic! COOL. Makes sense, as the rear wheel is a 17"... BUT they are falling apart...

The Hondamatic rubbers have the big one and small one joined together... and since mine are falling apart I would like to get some new ones. Can K model rubbers (one big, one small) fit the hub? The hub on the CB750A and the CB750K are the same (PN 42601-300-050), but the flange for the sprocket is different. CB750K PN = 42609341000, CB750A PN = 42610393000

No direct pic, but from the splines under the sprocket bolts (not round, like on the A), it looks like the flange under my sprocket is a CB750K one... (zoom in!)

I am thinking I can use the K rubbers, but I just want to make sure.

Hmmm... Some detective work...

F2 (comstar wheel), and K7-8, use the same sprocket holder as the Hondamatic, and they use the same all-in-one dampers.

F0-1 bikes (spoked wheel, disk brake) used the same dampers AND sprocket holder as the K1-6 up to SN: 1025911, and then from 1025912 onward use the same DAMPERS as the Hondamatic/F2/K7-8, but no change in the sprocket holder is mentioned...

Because the only difference on the F0-1 is the dampers, and NOT the sprocket carrier or hub (no mention on CMSNL), one would assume that they could be swapped between any bike K1-6 or F0-2?

Did they just change the manufacturing process for a single rubber piece?

OR did F1s after SN: 1025912 come with comstar wheels, and thus the necessary change to new dampers?
--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"

Offline Restoration Fan

• My wife will never call me
  • Master
« Reply #96 on: May 06, 2015, 01:47:34 am »
OR did F1s after SN: 1025912 come with comstar wheels, and thus the necessary change to new dampers?

The 77F2 I worked on with Bill Benton last weekend had Comstars on it.  He made mention that they only made the F's with spoked wheels for one year.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 01:49:25 am by Restoration Fan »
Ron

Stella - Logan's Senior Project    78 750K http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=141761.0

Logan's Reward - CB500 and CB550 Cafes    http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,147787.0.html

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
« Reply #97 on: May 08, 2015, 10:25:34 am »
Might have a starter solenoid issues... Went to start the bike this morning and button worked (lights dimmed), but no cranking. Going to try jumping the solenoid with a screwdriver to see if that is the issue. Bike kick started just fine.
--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
« Reply #98 on: May 08, 2015, 11:07:41 am »
Just tried jumping the solenoid (with the clutch pulled in)... same thing happens. Lights dim (digital gauge turns off) when I jump the posts, and comes back on when I take the screwdriver away. Looks like it is the starter motor. Luckily we have kick starters! Tonight is shop night, and I have 3 days of vacation next week. Looks like I'll be removing the starter motor for a checkup!

Button worked just fine last night when I came home. Oh bother...
--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
« Reply #99 on: May 08, 2015, 06:55:11 pm »
Battery died! #$%*E!

We made it home!

--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"