Author Topic: Too low??  (Read 1187 times)

Offline Anton

• Enthusiast
Too low??
« on: April 13, 2014, 12:49:11 am »
Had my tires mounted today and got the rear wheel fitted up. Was a little surprised on how little clearance I had ended up with between wheel and frame. I measured about 2.5 inches. Is this gonna be to low, how much is the minimum clearance I could get away with here?

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
Re: Too low??
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 12:57:18 am »
bottom the suspension out and see.

Offline Anton

• Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 01:30:54 am »
of coarse... 8)

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 01:42:43 am »
be sure to factor in any bolts or lamp fixtures you plan on fitting aswell,if your up to removing the spring from one shock and seeing how far the travel is with it fitted back up less the spring and the other shock,too easy.

Offline trueblue

• A person who has had many interesting experiences, some of which are true, is known as an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 02:25:04 am »
be sure to factor in any bolts or lamp fixtures you plan on fitting aswell,if your up to removing the spring from one shock and seeing how far the travel is with it fitted back up less the spring and the other shock,too easy.
+1 you would want to allow about an inch of clearance at full suspension compression to allow for tyre deflection ;D
1979 CB650Z
Nothing can be idiot proofed, the world keeps producing better idiots.
Electronic Guages for your SOHC 4

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 04:22:39 am »
I had the same problem, but less severe because my tail has an up-sweet. A few guys here and Dave Quinn who resells Hagon shocks mentioned that, since my tire would hit the seat, that I could machine little bump stops for the shock so it doesn't compress all the way. I had to remove the springs to put them on. If you see in my picture there isn't the piece on my shocks yet but it's supposed to go right above the rubber bump stop...thus lowering it down so it bottoms out sooner. You might have to do something similar if your tire hits your loop. So far with riding it around I haven't had it bottom out on the bump stops yet.

---
1978 Honda CB550K

Offline Anton

• Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 08:49:55 am »
Could getting longer shocks be a options? I was planning on gettting new ones anyway, stock are 12.5" maybe 13.5" would be better?

Offline Anton

• Enthusiast
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2014, 08:51:43 am »

how would I go about getting that spring off?

Offline Powderman

• Master
    • Creative Candy Powder Coating
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2014, 09:02:32 am »
I had the same problem, but less severe because my tail has an up-sweet. A few guys here and Dave Quinn who resells Hagon shocks mentioned that, since my tire would hit the seat, that I could machine little bump stops for the shock so it doesn't compress all the way. I had to remove the springs to put them on. If you see in my picture there isn't the piece on my shocks yet but it's supposed to go right above the rubber bump stop...thus lowering it down so it bottoms out sooner. You might have to do something similar if your tire hits your loop. So far with riding it around I haven't had it bottom out on the bump stops yet.

---
1978 Honda CB550K
Everyone making a hoop for the back of their bikes should have the bike set up like Dave's bike. Remove the spring from the shock, raise the wheel to full compression and leave it there while making the hoop to make sure you will have the necessary clearance. It sucks when you have to modify other things just to make the one wrong one work.

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2014, 09:04:42 am »
If you have a. Drill press and welder you can fab up a tool easily, and use drill press to compress it.
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2014, 09:15:11 am »

Could getting longer shocks be a options? I was planning on gettting new ones anyway, stock are 12.5" maybe 13.5" would be better?

I'd think that even a taller shock could still bottom out at the same point as a shorter shock. The only thing is that the taller shock has more room to travel. The main thing is where the shock bottoms out. Either on your hoop or on the bump stops.

I'm not sure how your shocks are built, but to compress my springs I used ratchet straps. Two per spring and evenly tighten them down. Just be sure to keep your fingers out of the way when you need to release it, haha. That gave me enough room to access the nut for disassembly.

---
1978 Honda CB550K

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2014, 09:17:39 am »

how would I go about getting that spring off?

Oh, but first put the spring adjustment collar on the lowest setting so the spring is already the loosest it can be.

---
1978 Honda CB550K

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2014, 09:31:55 am »
Easy tool to make. Drill press to compress but make something to hold bottom.
 See pic...
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline Anton

• Enthusiast
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2014, 03:10:21 pm »
Thanks for the input fellas, i'll come up with something