Author Topic: Got in a little accident today  (Read 2136 times)

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
Got in a little accident today
« on: April 13, 2014, 08:30:01 pm »
So tonight as I was riding home from a friend's house a car hit me from the side at a 4 way stop sign. Low speeds so nothing too bad, my arm hurts but I'm fine. My helmet has some scratches but my jacket is fine. The girl hit me on the right on my points cover and the bike smashed on the ground on it's left side. Her fault, I had right of way. The only damage I can see is to the points cover, which could be really bad I think, and the left clip on bar is toast. Which brings me to my question. If a car hits my bike on the points cover how bad could that be for the engine internals? I'm going to assess tomorrow but how do I check for serious frame/fork damage or engine damage? I didn't try to start it up.

Thanks

---
1978 Honda CB550K

Offline flybox1

• My wife thinks I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: Got in a little accident today
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 08:40:06 pm »
#1 glad you are ok.
#2 seek legal council. A necessary evil. They will take their cut, but get things done quickly for you.
#3 itemize everything on your bike that is damaged and or needs to be replaced.  Heavy impact to the.points cover can bend the advancer shaft, and totally ufk up the points plate and plate mounts, but it's possible to do more damage.
Check all engine mounts for cracks. 
Check everything.....
'78 750K (F3 engine) PD42b's, Modified airbox w/K&N  filter, 40/110 jets, 1 needle shim, IMS@ 1 turn out. Kerker + Cone 18" QuietCore

Past Bikes
1974 550K0 (stock), 1973 CB350F (stock), 1983 Yamaha XS400K (POS)
77/78 cool 2 member #3
"Knowledge without mileage equals bullsh!t" - Henry Rollins

"This is my CB. There are many like it, but this one is mine…"

Offline brooze72

• Talk to my friends here at SOHC4 if you need an
  • Expert
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 08:41:19 pm »
Sorry for your incident, that's just so wrong! But glad you're OK.  Check the frame & engine casing for any crack, kink or in the case of the frame, paint flaked or chipped.  These could be signs of deeper problems.  Maybe get it checked out by a pro, you'll need an estimate for her insurance anyways..
2011, 2012 & 2013 Godzilla Relay Rally Rider
"Hold on loosely...don't let go
 If you cling too tightly...you're gonna lose control"
1972 CB500K1 - restored rider
1981 CB650C - new project

Offline Sdsbassist

• Expert
  • Gus, Austin, MN.
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 08:54:24 pm »
Glad you are ok

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Gus, Austin, MN.
Current Bike:  75 750F

Past bikes: 76 750K - "Iowa Blue",78 750K Craigslist find - "Black Beth;" 77 CB750K Basketcase, with a 75K engine; 1970 Cb750 K1, "Rosa Luxembourg"
74 cb750, 75 cb550, 77 kawa 650, 81 virago 750, 83 virago 920, 80 Honda Twinstar 200, 71 Honda CT70, 1971 Honda CB750 Rat Project "Black Dahlia Bitsa"

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 10:17:49 pm »
Check it closely forks, triples, mounts, dyno cover  They are correct about a professional estimate. The helmet people say replace it if it's dropped banged or scratched.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 04:32:47 am »
+5 that you're okay!

If struck on huge right, then landed left, you need to very carefully ALSO inspect the left side of the bike. Obviously you indicated the clip-on was toast, so possibly your left fork is also bent. Check the trees for cracks, especially near the pinch bolts. Check your left rear shock too. Any visible scratches on the swing arm? Could easily have "tweaked" your bushings.

No doubt, a full inspection by shop is in order, and even a State Inspector (if they have that in your state). Those guys can be very anal and often don't miss a thing.

Post up some pics when you can, and as Don said, "Replace your helmet!"

'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 04:43:50 am »
Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I'll post some pictures later today. Ugh, this is such a bummer.

---
1978 Honda CB550K

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 04:54:00 am »
Hopefully the case did not crack or break around the points cover, that would make for a real bad day.   Glad your OK  ;)

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 04:57:23 am »
Dave - was this test-riding to solve the front end bounce issue? What an effing bummer to have this happen just as Spring arrives- relieved you're not seriously hurt. Bikes can be more easily fixed than we can, though, so there's some hidden blessings in there somewhere.
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 05:07:24 am »

Dave - was this test-riding to solve the front end bounce issue? What an effing bummer to have this happen just as Spring arrives- relieved you're not seriously hurt. Bikes can be more easily fixed than we can, though, so there's some hidden blessings in there somewhere.

Yeah it totally was, haha. I rode to a friend's house for the test, hung out a bit, then was planning to go put more air in the tires to see the bounce situation...then some honda civic decided to head butt me and my bike.

---
1978 Honda CB550K

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 05:36:46 am »
Glad you OK!

Wobbly

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2014, 08:10:08 am »
Unfortunately, with our old bikes, the insurance company might give you $ 100 and tells you to keep the change (yes, I slightly exaggerate to make my point). Appraisals would have to be less than one year old--and who has one? It's always good to keep recent receipts if you invested serious money. Insulting--but true. It doesn't matter how much the repair is when it is higher than the estimated value, it's considered a total loss. While parts are rare and expensive, the insurance value of these bikes is not--unless you have an appraisal as mentioned above.
As to your question, your engine should be fine. Frame and fork are a greater concern--but you won't spot anything just looking at it. Pictures would be nice.
Yes, have the dealership write up an estimate. Of course, if parts are needed that only exist in some exotic location, the prices for not existent Honda parts really don't help. It's always tricky with older vehicles.

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2014, 08:19:24 am »
Good thing you did not get a crushed right leg.

The statement: "Her fault, I had right of way."

That makes me think you may get hit again unless you change that self talk to....
I may have the right of way, but what is she going to do next? She is on my right .

It was a 4 WAY STOP.  she was on your right, ("she hit my points cover", she has the right of way.
You were both stopped. It is not a matter of who got there first.
The lawyer might tell you that.

If her vehicle is on the right , then she had the right of way.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 08:23:28 am by lucky »

Offline Powderman

• Master
    • Creative Candy Powder Coating
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2014, 08:21:30 am »
You can always fight the insurance appraisal on the value of your vehicle. Your insurance may pay you the true value of your bike agreed upon by you and your insurance company and then they just go after the at fault drivers insurance for reimbursement. I was hit in my cherry 86 Mustang GT and was totaled. His insurance company offered me $2200, I laughed at them on the phone and then hung up. We went back and forth a couple of days and they raised it to $2300. It was strange that the next day my insurance called me and asked if they had settled on the value of my car. I told them they weren't even in the ballpark on it. We discussed what I thought it was worth and we agreed on $5k and they immediately cut me a check and went to "subrogate" against the other company. I'm with State Farm.

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2014, 08:26:19 am »
You can always fight the insurance appraisal on the value of your vehicle. Your insurance may pay you the true value of your bike agreed upon by you and your insurance company and then they just go after the at fault drivers insurance for reimbursement. I was hit in my cherry 86 Mustang GT and was totaled. His insurance company offered me $2200, I laughed at them on the phone and then hung up. We went back and forth a couple of days and they raised it to $2300. It was strange that the next day my insurance called me and asked if they had settled on the value of my car. I told them they weren't even in the ballpark on it. We discussed what I thought it was worth and we agreed on $5k and they immediately cut me a check and went to "subrogate" against the other company. I'm with State Farm.

I hate this new "subrogation" thing. Third party stuff.
My wife was hit from behind and it took almost one year to get reinbursed for the $800 dollars we paid for $500 deductable and $300 for the loaner car. We still have not received the $300 back.

Offline Powderman

• Master
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2014, 08:27:25 am »
Where I live last month 34 tickets were given out for people not making a complete stop at stop signs.

The statement: "Her fault, I had right of way."

That makes me think you may get hit again unless you change that self talk to....
I may have the right of way, but what is she going to do next?

It was a 4 WAY STOP. If she was on your right she has the right of way.
You were both stopped. It is not a matter of who got there first.

If her vehicle is on the right , then she had the right of way.

You make a lot of assumptions here. The person on the right having the right of way only applies if you both come to a stop at the same time. The fact that she was merely on the right doesn't give her the right of way. And the fact that she hit you in the side and you not hitting her in the side doesn't fair well for the "she was on the right , so it's her right of way" argument.
Also, You never have the right to demand your right of way. If you have the right of way but are the last one that could have avoided the accident you can be found at fault.

Offline Powderman

• Master
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2014, 08:30:01 am »

I hate this new "subrogation" thing. Third party stuff.
My wife was hit from behind and it took almost one year to get reinbursed for the $800 dollars we paid for $500 deductable and $300 for the loaner car. We still have not received the $300 back.
Subrogation is a not new thing, my accident was 20 years ago now.

Offline Gman

• Hot Shot
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2014, 09:52:37 am »
Better scratches on the helmet, than on the head.  Good for you for wearing protective gear.

+1 Get a new helmet.

+10 Glad you are OK. 

Good luck with the insurance bit.  Any receipts you have for work done, parts, etc. may also be useful in trying to recoup a reasonable amount of $ for your bike.

Cheers,
G

'76 CB550K
Stock airbox, MotoGPWerks 4-1, HondaMan ignition, Lesters

Offline Operator

• Someday I will live up to being a
  • Expert
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2014, 10:22:40 am »
Happy to hear you walked away from it.

Insurance varies so much between states/provinces/countries that all I'm going to say is talk to your insurer and make them aware of the true value of your vehicle when you get your policy. Here in Canada I have always paid an extra $2.00 per month to ensure that if my bike is written off, they will pay me based on "replacement" rather than "blue book" value. In New Brunswick the difference is about $1500.00
If ever there was a creator of bastard sons, it is the open road, for she has claimed so many young men yearning for freedom......

1973 CB750 K3
1976 CB400F (Cafe Project)
1979 Yamaha XS400 (Currently up for Sale)

Offline PeWe

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bike almost back to the 70's 2015
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2014, 10:55:46 am »
CB750 can withstand a lot. I hope your bike is OK, frame not twisted. Check that both wheels lines up correctly. Alternator cover is the part that often hit the ground, gear pedal too with its mechansim..

I survived my years on bike by never trust other drivers, especially car drivers that often did not see me, almost that often did not care and had the mindset that bikes are something that have no rights.
I got the feeling for when cars will just change lane or cross the street just in front of me or beside me.

A bike rider must drive slightly faster than all other and never trust that the car will stay behind that STOP sign. Be prepared to gear down and pass the obstacles. Braking to avoid things was not  my cup of tea with a CB750, better to gear down, twist the throttle and drive where possible. It's a completely different way of driving with a bike compared with a car.

It was different in Italy (2:nd half of the 80's). I did not dare to stop in the cities where it was a STOP sign, I was sure that the cars behind me should hit me from the behind... :) Sexy girls walking beside the street screaming wild when they heard and saw a CB750 with loud 4-1 + 2 guys + luggage + front wheel lifting over the street.
CB750 K6-76  970cc (Earlier 1005cc JMR Billet block on the shelf waiting for a comeback)
CB750 K2-75 Parts assembled to a stock K2

Updates of the CB750 K6 -1976
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180468.msg2092136.html#msg2092136
The billet block build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,49438.msg1863571.html#msg1863571
CB750 K2 -1975  build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,168243.msg1948381.html#msg1948381
K2 engine build thread. For a complete CB750 -75
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180088.msg2088008.html#msg2088008
Carb jetting, a long story Mikuni TMR32
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,179479.msg2104967.html#msg2104967

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2014, 03:53:32 pm »

CB750 can withstand a lot. I hope your bike is OK, frame not twisted. Check that both wheels lines up correctly. Alternator cover is the part that often hit the ground, gear pedal too with its mechansim..

I survived my years on bike by never trust other drivers, especially car drivers that often did not see me, almost that often did not care and had the mindset that bikes are something that have no rights.
I got the feeling for when cars will just change lane or cross the street just in front of me or beside me.

A bike rider must drive slightly faster than all other and never trust that the car will stay behind that STOP sign. Be prepared to gear down and pass the obstacles. Braking to avoid things was not  my cup of tea with a CB750, better to gear down, twist the throttle and drive where possible. It's a completely different way of driving with a bike compared with a car.

It was different in Italy (2:nd half of the 80's). I did not dare to stop in the cities where it was a STOP sign, I was sure that the cars behind me should hit me from the behind... :) Sexy girls walking beside the street screaming wild when they heard and saw a CB750 with loud 4-1 + 2 guys + luggage + front wheel lifting over the street.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes. Yes, I'm definitely getting a new helmet. And PeWe, I agree. I'm a new rider so I need to gain more experience with quick maneuvering on instinct. And hopefully my 550 is as strong as the 750, ha. I've never assumed drivers see me. It seems you need to be offensively defensive. I'm going to be more careful now, even though I was never careless to begin with.

Going to be getting an estimate shortly from a shop I like in my town. The guy knows vintage Honda's very well. He actually might even be on this forum, haha. Will keep you guys posted. Hopefully I'll be back riding sooner rather than later.

Thanks!

---
1978 Honda CB550K

Offline WhyNot2

• I'm finally an
  • Master
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2014, 04:00:50 pm »
Well, I got rear ended in Oct, caused 6 grand damage. I watch the hell out my sixes.

More than a few times have I put the kickstand down and walked to the curb, cause I thought the idiot wasn't going to stop. Embarrassing, but hey.............................

Have that bike checked, call a lawyer, although I'm still waiting on mine. Call yours and their insurance.  Report it.

Also have had dummies run me off I95, pull out in front of me.....like I tell my wife when she tells me to "be careful", I tell her "I'm as careful as I can be, its the others that need to be careful"

I've put 46,000 on the Harley, 5 grand on the 750, since I've owned them, and plan on a bunch more.

Stay safe bro..........................
If it ain't raining, I'm riding.....~~{iii}?~~prost

If it sounds like I know what I'm talking about, it's because I cut and pasted from someone else.

Offline Bootlegger56

• Butch
  • Hot Shot
  • Nuthin' taps ya out quicker than cole corn likker!
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2014, 04:05:27 pm »
Glad you are OK.  There are only a couple of suggestions!

HIRE A GOOD LAWYER!
DON'T TALK TO HER INSURANCE EXCEPT TO GIVE THEM YOUR LAWYERS NAME!

I learned the hard way on this with a sweet little gal calling up feigning concern over my condition and having a personable conversation with me regarding me and my properties condition.  When I saw a copy of the transcript at the ATTY's office it made me look like an idiot and her like a PHD.  I repeat DO NOT TALK TO HER INSURANCE!!!

Ya can travel near or ya can travel far; but no matter where ya go thar ya are!

750 K5
550 K1

Offline WhyNot2

• I'm finally an
  • Master
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2014, 04:31:43 pm »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yea, the one that contacted me, was a sweet sounding young female, that expressed genuine concern for me and my bike. She worked with me well, till she found out I contacted a lawywr, and she became broom hilda, and swore she was gonna get me........................
If it ain't raining, I'm riding.....~~{iii}?~~prost

If it sounds like I know what I'm talking about, it's because I cut and pasted from someone else.

Offline VTCBike750

• Hot Shot
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2014, 04:42:18 pm »
I just had to deal with insurance companies. This winter I had a guy pull out in front of me after 19 inches of snow. T-boned him in the intersection, he had the audacity to yell at me for hitting him when he was taking a right on red.

I will say that Progressive was decent to deal with, no major flak, and I got well reimbursed for my totaled 95 accord.

+1 that your ok.

Yet to have my first bike accident, plenty of bumps and scraps in cars.
-Adam

1972 CB750 (current project)
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=87951.0

Offline 72 yellow

• Expert
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2014, 04:49:59 pm »
Was she on the phone or texting ??  Distracted driving will count against her if she was.  Glad you are OK.

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2014, 05:45:13 pm »

Was she on the phone or texting ??  Distracted driving will count against her if she was.  Glad you are OK.

Thanks. No she wasn't, as far as I could tell, at least I don't remember seeing a glow from inside her car. I'll have to read the actual police report but the cops on scene gave her a ticket for either failing to stop at a stop sign or failing to yield to traffic. I forgot which.

---
1978 Honda CB550K