Author Topic: How do you attach badges to the side covers? Oh, and check out my side covers.  (Read 2687 times)

Offline Jayelwin

• Hot Shot
So I'm having my side covers and tank repainted as flake sunrise orange because I'm doing a restore as 1974. The bike itself is a CB 750 K5. So my side covers look like they were from a K0 or a K-1. The new larger 750 Four emblems have posts that don't line up with the predrilled holes. So obviously I'm going to have to drill holes but how do you secure the posts on the inside. There's no ridge for a circlip or anything. I was thinking of having the post go through and then putting a lump of JB Weld on the inside or possibly some epoxy.

Offline 750K

• Expert
Make sure you have the wing facing forward before you secure it permenantly, I'd put a small drop of silicone or some kind of adhesive on the back of the badge before you press it home. Don't use much or removal is really tough if you ever need to get the badges back off, don't ask why I know this lol. They look nice, great color.
77 Cb750, 78 Kz1000

fendersrule

Look it up on the fische and order the fasteners. Those fasteners shouldn't be specific to Honda though, so any auto body supply store should have them (Honda wants a couple bucks each). They are round and they have "teeth" that bite into the posts.

Once you slide them on, be mindful that they are going to be on for good unless you surgically remove the clips VERY carefully.

I've also heard of people putting lumps of JB Weld and it working great too (easy to remove).

My opinion, not that it matters, is that those emblems that you have do not work or look right with those side covers. Maybe it's just the angle of your last picture?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 11:21:19 am by fendersrule »

Offline LesterPiglet

• Old Timer
  • 1977 CB550F2
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Draw and drawer. Could care less/couldn't care less. Bought/brought FFS.

Les Ross.            Certified by a Professional

Offline Davez134

• Expert
side covers look great.  Those are the wrong badges for those covers. The correct ones fit the indentation perfectly and have 2 "posts" to fit the holes (and would look much better in my opinion)

These are the ones you need:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-CB750-1972-76-Side-Cover-Emblem-/161269797396

Offline Jayelwin

• Hot Shot
Okay thanks for pointing out the direction of the wing as I had it backwards.

It has the larger badges because it's a K4. The K4 had the larger badges.

I was told that under the larger badges was the smaller depression. Something about Honda being lazy and not changing the cover molds when they made the badges larger.

Offline Johnie

• Really Old Timer ...
Here are a couple of pics which should help. Yes, the large emblem will cover the old emblem indent area.
1970 CB750K0 - Candy Ruby Red
1973 CB750K3 - Candy Bacchus Olive or Sunflake Orange
1970 Chevy Chevelle SS396 - Cortez Silver
1976 GL1000 Sulphur Yellow

Oshkosh, WI  USA

Offline Jayelwin

• Hot Shot
I'm vindicated! I even see the two holes for the smaller emblem still there. I'm going to have to drill three more.

Offline Airborne 82nd

• Expert
Any auto shop Auto Zone NAPA Advance will have those clips just take the part with you to get the right size. I have always called them speed nuts. speed because you don't have to turn them. When I take them off I use some small needle nose and pull while I turn them like a regular nut. Once you get them a little ways off away from the plastic it gets easy. They make some that have a hex shape makes it easy to grab for removal.

Offline Jayelwin

• Hot Shot
Thanks.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
 I use an o ring pick to remove the clips, you can get behind it and loosen the little tabs.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline Davez134

• Expert
Okay thanks for pointing out the direction of the wing as I had it backwards.

It has the larger badges because it's a K4. The K4 had the larger badges.

I was told that under the larger badges was the smaller depression. Something about Honda being lazy and not changing the cover molds when they made the badges larger.

love this place, learn something new every time I sign on!

Offline Johnie

• Really Old Timer ...
And you can not go wild on removing those clips or I will guarentee you will break off the post on the badge. I use a pick to open the clip up and slide it off.

Oshkosh, WI  USA

Offline Jayelwin

• Hot Shot
Getting the 750four badges on will require drilling holes. Any thought to filing off the posts and then using an adhesive?

Offline Johnie

• Really Old Timer ...
Probably will get pro and con of clips vs adhesive. For my peace of mind I would drill and use the clips. Or you stand the chance of the adhesive failing and then you loose a badge. If you are off a little with the hole you can drill again. Then if you have trouble with the badge moving around because you drilled a few holes just use some silicone on the back to hold it in the right hole.

Oshkosh, WI  USA

Offline Jayelwin

• Hot Shot
If I went with an adhesive can you recommend one that a thin layer will secure the badges well and also allow for nondestructive prying off if they ever need to be removed. I plan on using the clips on the wings as those holes are perfect. I'd really rather not drill holes because placing the top badge needs to be very precise.

Offline LesterPiglet

• Old Timer
  • 1977 CB550F2
I've used a very soft black gooey stuff to apply my tank badges. I believe it's used to attach licence plates. It dissolves with gas/petrol so I'm sure white spirit/ turpentine alcohol etc. will also dissolve it.

This looks like it.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/caulks-sealants/48463.htm
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Draw and drawer. Could care less/couldn't care less. Bought/brought FFS.

Offline Johnie

• Really Old Timer ...
If you use tape you want it very thin or that badge will stick out from the cover.

Oshkosh, WI  USA

Offline LesterPiglet

• Old Timer
  • 1977 CB550F2
That stuff I used can be made as thin as you like.

Offline Jayelwin

• Hot Shot
I've used a very soft black gooey stuff to apply my tank badges. I believe it's used to attach licence plates. It dissolves with gas/petrol so I'm sure white spirit/ turpentine alcohol etc. will also dissolve it.

This looks like it.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/caulks-sealants/48463.htm

I've got that exact stuff in the basement - had a gutter repair job last year. Thanks.

Offline iron_worker

• Master
I just replaced the badges on my covers for my K4 yesterday. It's not too hard. I bought repop badges the first time and the paint started peeling off them after one season ...  :o Replaced with OEM badges now.

I used a mini flat blade screw driver to gently pry the tabs back to pull the star clips off. (good to know their proper name) Pry a little on each little tab and they will eventually pop off. Be gentle. I also used a couple microfiber towels to lay the cover on so as to avoid scratching the paint. To press the star clips in I used a nut driver (socket with a screwdriver attachment ...same same.). It worked great to evenly press the star clip down around the post and not put any sideways pressure. My badges are tight and secure. I wouldn't mess with adhesives, personally... those badges ain't cheap!

The large badges overlap the small impression so that is correct I believe.

IW