Author Topic: Headlight bucket rat's nest  (Read 1981 times)

Offline Schnell

• Expert
Headlight bucket rat's nest
« on: April 14, 2014, 08:09:33 am »
Who has the most organized/neatest headlight bucket. Come on, I know there are some OCD guys out there! Show us a pic.
A good traveller has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving. --Lao Tsu

primary: 1974 Honda CB750
long term, now resting: 1981 BMW R100/7
project: 1971 Honda CL350
project: 1974 Honda CB450

previous:
1975 Honda CB750
1973 BMW R90/6
1981 Suzuki GS650
1973 Honda CD175

My little website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Offline Schnell

• Expert
Re: Headlight bucket rat's nest
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 10:56:51 am »
Or you can just ignore threads that you aren't interested in.

This topic is interesting to me because the nest is so out of place on an otherwise tidy and well sorted bike.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 10:58:54 am by Schnell »

previous:
1975 Honda CB750
1973 BMW R90/6
1981 Suzuki GS650
1973 Honda CD175

Offline TonUp_UK

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 11:28:57 am »
I want to see yours first, then I will show you mine.  :o

Offline LesterPiglet

• Old Timer
  • 1977 CB550F2
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 11:46:15 am »
OOooer missus.
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Draw and drawer. Could care less/couldn't care less. Bought/brought FFS.

Les Ross.            Certified by a Professional

Offline strynboen

• Old Timer
    • http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=vu3s88acid8riqr6ch08okr3q5&/topic,60973.0.html
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 11:51:37 am »
it can be hard to find place for a bulb-(p)..? inside the headlight housing..
i kan not speak english/but trying!!
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=60973.0
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=144758.0
i hate all this v-w.... vords

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 11:55:48 am »
it can be hard to find place for a bulb-(p)..? inside the headlight housing..
Rat's nests can be pretty too.   ;D  Colorful anyway.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 11:58:41 am »
It reminds me of every attempt I've ever made to clean-up the mess of connections surrounding the PC in "the office.' Each time I upgrade I sware it will be more organized, it always seems to end up the same way.  >:(
We'll all be someone else's PO some day.

Offline trebuchetxlt

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 01:27:09 pm »
I've tried tidying up the wiring in the headlight bucket, however, it always ends up looking like the same rats nest but in differing coloured configurations.
1975 CB550K
2013 CB500F

Offline Geeto67

• A grumpy
  • Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 01:41:47 pm »
a while ago a friend of mine showed me a cb750 with a completely clean headlight bucket inside. He had completely reqired the bike, built his own modern junction blocks, and even adapted a different stator from a different bike. basically I don't think it is possible to make the rats nest cleaner without throwing out the current electrical sustem and starting fresh. 
Maintenance Matters Most

Offline db22

• Hot Shot
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 02:19:15 pm »
Alright -- that's what I'd like to see -- a simplified, neat solution to the bucket mess. My daily rider '75 CB 550 uses the stock headlight bucket with its load of wires, but I have a project bike, also a '75 CB550, that came with almost no wiring. The handlebar switches were toast or missing, and though I do have a spare headlight bucket, I sure would like to put the wiring in a neat, easily accessible spot somewhere else. Can all those connections be moved somewhere else -- say, under the seat or contained in a project box tucked under the triple tree?
1975 CB550K (rider)
1975 CB550K (shaping up, slowly)
I may be goin' to hell in a bucket, but at least I'm enjoyin' the ride. . .

Offline mcswny

• Hot Shot
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 02:47:17 pm »
I have a panic attack every time I look inside my headlight bucket!!
1972 CB750 K2
1997 XR600r (street legal)
1975 XL250
198 XR80

Offline LesterPiglet

• Old Timer
  • 1977 CB550F2
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2014, 02:54:15 pm »
I have a panic attack every time I look inside my headlight bucket!!
How often do you need to?
I don't see anything daunting in there, it's all colour coded. Or are you expecting a real rat?
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Draw and drawer. Could care less/couldn't care less. Bought/brought FFS.

Les Ross.            Certified by a Professional

Offline Geeto67

• A grumpy
  • Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2014, 02:55:18 pm »
you can move the connections anywhere you like if you are custom building. But you might not have a harness, i.e everything is individually wired. If you really study how the wiring system was designed you'll realize pretty quickly that honda did this for ease of manufacture by putting all their junctions at a central point and then bundling the wires in a main harness. It's pretty brilliant in that they hid it out of sight in the headlight bucket. If you look at how modern bikes evolved in wiring they moved away from this toward larger block connectors and junctions that are still centrally located but now pass through things like circuit boards and then computers. I suppose you could start replacing your individual stock honda connections with multi pin connectors but then if a part goes bad you can't replace it as easy because now you have to replace the entire bundle you just created (or repin the connector which is easy but intimidates most guys who maintain their bikes at home).

If you really study the stock harness there are some ingenious things going on in there like using the headlight bucket bolts as grounds. Compare it to a brit or an HD of the same era where you see things like giant braided ground straps and it looks positivley high tech. Comapre it to a BMW of the same era and it looks stone age. 
Maintenance Matters Most

Offline Bootlegger56

• Butch
  • Hot Shot
  • Nuthin' taps ya out quicker than cole corn likker!
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2014, 03:34:21 pm »
No pics....no camera but I found if you go buy the adhesive backed 1" pads at Lowes or Home Depot in the electronic section and clean the mounting area with alcohol that they will stick pretty good to the inside of the bucket.  They are called a self adhesive cable tie mount.  Set down on a comfy chair with beverage of choice and stick half a dozen of them to the inside of the bucket.  If I remember I did the 10-2-4-8 o'clock thingy sort of towards the rear of the bucket.  Organize the groups of wires with multiple connectors and then single connectors into those area's and then lock them down with cable ties.  If you are patient you can unplug/untangle individual wires until it looks pretty good.  Its not fantastic but its better than the spaghetti typically seen.  The good thing is you can stick them inside to your hearts content.  I don't know how the longevity is since I have not had to pull my headlight since I did it.  Just a thought!
Ya can travel near or ya can travel far; but no matter where ya go thar ya are!

750 K5
550 K1

Offline Schnell

• Expert
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2014, 03:44:58 pm »
Bootlegger, that's a cool idea.

previous:
1975 Honda CB750
1973 BMW R90/6
1981 Suzuki GS650
1973 Honda CD175

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2014, 05:44:21 pm »
Alright -- that's what I'd like to see -- a simplified, neat solution to the bucket mess. I sure would like to put the wiring in a neat, easily accessible spot somewhere else.

DB- if you're up to it, check out the MotoGadget m-unit and their m-button. Makes a super clean install, eliminates fuses, switches, relays, and even the solenoid. The "button" collects all the control wires from the handlebar switches and isolates them to a single digital wire back to the m-unit. It's pricey, but is it the easiest and cleanest solution possible.
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2014, 05:17:20 am »
My bike just puked.

--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"
Delkevic Stainless 4-1 Header, Cone Engineering 18" Quiet Core Reverse Cone, K&N Filter in Drilled Airbox
K5 Crankcase/Frame, K4 Head and Cylinders, K1 Carbs (42;120;1 Turn)

She's a mix-matched (former) basket case, but she's mine.

CB750 Shop Manual (all years), searchable text PDF
Calculating the correct input circumference for digital speedometers connected to the original speedometer drive

Offline Jayelwin

• Hot Shot
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2014, 05:45:04 am »
Here's mine right now.

Offline Bootlegger56

• Butch
  • Hot Shot
  • Nuthin' taps ya out quicker than cole corn likker!
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2014, 08:53:20 am »
My bike just puked.

Too much bar hoppin!!!  LOL
Ya can travel near or ya can travel far; but no matter where ya go thar ya are!

750 K5
550 K1

Offline db22

• Hot Shot
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2014, 02:13:41 pm »
Alright -- that's what I'd like to see -- a simplified, neat solution to the bucket mess. I sure would like to put the wiring in a neat, easily accessible spot somewhere else.

DB- if you're up to it, check out the MotoGadget m-unit and their m-button. Makes a super clean install, eliminates fuses, switches, relays, and even the solenoid. The "button" collects all the control wires from the handlebar switches and isolates them to a single digital wire back to the m-unit. It's pricey, but is it the easiest and cleanest solution possible.

calj737: Yeah, I've seen their website. Very pretty, very neat, a bit steep for my budget. I have to work with leftovers from my rider and cheapo aftermarket stuff, but I'm optimistic -- the componenets I have tested out on the rider so far have worked. Now, if the local weather would just warm up enough for me to get back out to the garage and try to remember where I left off last fall, I could make some progress. Got the rider un-pickled and re-insured, and we promptly had another dose of winter. Oh boy.
1975 CB550K (rider)
1975 CB550K (shaping up, slowly)
I may be goin' to hell in a bucket, but at least I'm enjoyin' the ride. . .