Author Topic: 70's CBs are #1 Hipster bikes??  (Read 3510 times)

Offline 72 yellow

• Expert
Re: 70's CBs are #1 Hipster bikes??
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2014, 04:16:07 pm »
Even though I own and ride a 71 BSA Lightning and a 72 CB750 I'm glad I am too old to be considered a hipster.  :o

I don't believe there is an age limitation. Do you own a leather jacket with matching boots and scarf?
My leather jacket was purchased around 1970.  Does not match the work boots outside of both being black.  The only scarf I own is used only in the winter to shovel snow.  ;D

You've been cleared, you are not Hipster material. 
Thanks.  I was worried for a minute.  ;D  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Ichiban 4

• "Ichi"
  • Hot Shot
  • A "Boomer" still going strong.
Re: 70's CBs are #1 Hipster bikes??
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2014, 08:55:01 pm »
Even though I own and ride a 71 BSA Lightning and a 72 CB750 I'm glad I am too old to be considered a hipster.  :o

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Well..having lived through both the "hipster" and "hippy" periods of American history..I was always told the the hipsters were from around the mid to late 1940's (Zoot Suits..Lindy Hop..even Bebop of early 50's) I was born in mid 40's..so was too young to be part of that. The bikes ridden then also were mainly clunky old Harley's and Indians..some Brit bikes that made it over the pond. The Honda's as most of us here know them..probably weren't ever conceptualized then.

However the late 60's and 70's were when the "Nannahans" and Japanese bikes as we know them here came into their own element..I believe. So the "hipster" description seems entirely inappropriate (again a reason for my previous comment about the URL poster not knowing what they're talking about..from experience anyway).

I was somewhat involved with the Hippy movement..consider myself to be a late-blooming hippy of sorts (after 6 years of disgust..disrespect and pain from the Viet Nam War)..but that was "Hippy" not "Hipster" period..I suggest..and at it's height in early to mid 70's..from my experience.  Also the heyday of SOHC 4 Honda's BTW.

Some of our younger forum members here may think this is just irrelevant banter.  But for those of us who lived through those times..they are important to distinguish..I suggest..because they represent not only an evolution in bike technology..but in social values as well..some better..some not quite so.

Cheers..

Ichi
Al Summers

Present: '77 550K
Past: '73 CB450(twin), '72 CB175, '68 CB350, '58 Ariel Square 4 (1000cc), '58 Matchless Typhoon (650cc single), Whizzer Motorbikes '48 -'55 (Pacemaker & Sportsman)..Vespa, Lambretta scooters..etc.