Author Topic: 1972 CB750 Steampunk(ish) Bobber Thing  (Read 197249 times)

Offline Remcod

• Enthusiast
Re: 1972 CB750 Steampunk(ish) Bobber Thing
« Reply #950 on: October 29, 2018, 03:53:39 am »
Douglas?

Offline Noddy78

• Hot Shot
    • Atomic Contraptions
« Reply #951 on: October 29, 2018, 03:27:40 pm »
How about swapping the finish scheme: copper frame and cold bluing patina on the tins? Something akin to case colored tins. Copper tins becomes a bit busy and overwhelming of all the discreet pieces you've made with copper, brass and the like.

Yeah, agreed, the copper is too much. Not sure what you mean by "case-colored" though? I'm pretty set on the black frame I think (I mocked up the copper frame but didn't like it - and that'll also make it the same as Isabel and I don't really want that either). I'm pretty tempted by just bare metal TBH. But the cream idea also has some legs too I think?

Are you posting build pics to Instagram or anything like that? This project is awesome mate

Thanks! No, I'm not. Probably should, eh?

Douglas?

Douglas.

Offline Justin

• Enthusiast
    • Cj's Garage
« Reply #952 on: October 29, 2018, 03:33:14 pm »
I think Cal was meaning basically the same colour as aluminium by “case coloured”, ‘cause the engine cases were normally bare aluminium right?

Cream is nice hey, and bare metal is looking sweet as

Your eye for photography is superb, I personally would like to see the photo album of this build all in one place so I can glean my own inspiration from your craftsmanship, execution and attention to detail. Top work, mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline spotty

• Master
  • cb750....for when a Vmax is just too much bike
    • spottys world of vmaxes and great danes
« Reply #953 on: October 29, 2018, 03:34:18 pm »
Just remembered, a mate of mine did his lambretta side panels in copper years ago , never seen anything that looked so much like a Crunchie wrapper in my life. Most unfortunate
We only saw them the once, very quickly painted over
i blame Terry

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #954 on: October 29, 2018, 03:45:47 pm »
Noddy   I think on that muffler  if you cut a notch out the top, and welded in a 1/2 round piece..  it would the  level out the bottom and look cleaner..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #955 on: October 29, 2018, 04:03:14 pm »
How about swapping the finish scheme: copper frame and cold bluing patina on the tins? Something akin to case colored tins. Copper tins becomes a bit busy and overwhelming of all the discreet pieces you've made with copper, brass and the like.

I'm pretty tempted by just bare metal TBH. But the cream idea also has some legs too I think?

Patina'd bare metal was my thought.  Def no on the cream.
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'71 Honda 750K project.....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Noddy78

• Hot Shot
    • Atomic Contraptions
« Reply #956 on: October 29, 2018, 04:10:50 pm »
I personally would like to see the photo album of this build all in one place so I can glean my own inspiration from your craftsmanship, execution and attention to detail.

Yeah, cool, thanks. I think I might start one up!

..never seen anything that looked so much like a Crunchie wrapper in my life...

Yep, the copper's out.

I think on that muffler if you cut a notch out the top, and welded in a 1/2 round piece...

Yeah, nice one... it does actually look OK in person (well, I think so) and I'm also trying to get a smidge of breathing room between the battery box and the muffler so I don't set  the nice wooden box on fire... that said I may run into some issues registering it as there is a minimum ground clearance and I'm technically sitting about 20mm lower. So that idea might be the solution if the bean-counters pull me up on it.

Patina'd bare metal was my thought.

Yeah, I've been looking at it so long like that I think I'm leaning the same way... which is good, that means I don't have to ship them anywhere to get them electroplated! Be interesting to see how the tank comes out with all it's scars though. The plan was to Silicon Bronze it all together, so could actually be kinda cool.. depending on how terrible my welding looks...

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #957 on: October 29, 2018, 04:16:17 pm »
I think Cal was meaning basically the same colour as aluminium by “case coloured”, ‘cause the engine cases were normally bare aluminium right?
Sorry, no. Case colored is steel thats been heat treated and annealed. Left from there. Akin to below-

There are metal treatments (recipes in a bottle) that will allow you to get this effect as a patina without the use of heat. Since copper tones are common, the tie to all the other elements on your build would be a nicely coordinated outcome. Again, only tins for this effect.
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #958 on: October 29, 2018, 05:09:30 pm »
 I think there us more than annealing, a chemical  perhaps.
 Either that or its heat treated  in something other than air.
STARRETT  did it on a few of their tools,  I used to know how, but it fell out of a crack in my memory.
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline Noddy78

• Hot Shot
    • Atomic Contraptions
« Reply #959 on: October 29, 2018, 05:20:47 pm »
I think there us more than annealing, a chemical  perhaps.

Yeah, I had a go at cold-bluing way, way back in the initial phases of this build. Rusted like a... thing that's quite rusty. Hot bluing is heated up in a bath of chemicals, not sure there'd be a bath big enough for the tins though... at least not locally. There is a shop locally that's recently done a Mini in bare metal, so I might have a chat to them and see what options I might have for bare-metal finishes.

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #960 on: October 29, 2018, 05:25:30 pm »
Be a bugger to find a big enough container to pack harden a frame. Then every time you heard a ping or a click  you will wonder if the frame cracked.
 You have probably tried this, heat and dunk in oil, or heat and dual with oily rag.  Smoky stinky.
 But everything I oilcoated seemed to have a small measure of rust resistance.
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline Noddy78

• Hot Shot
    • Atomic Contraptions
« Reply #961 on: October 30, 2018, 05:37:19 pm »
Your eye for photography is superb, I personally would like to see the photo album of this build all in one place so I can glean my own inspiration from your craftsmanship, execution and attention to detail.

Ok, so I've started an Instagram up: https://www.instagram.com/atomic_contraptions/. Will probably take a while to populate it, but hopefully have everything there in one place over the next few weeks!

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #962 on: October 31, 2018, 02:36:33 pm »
Your eye for photography is superb, I personally would like to see the photo album of this build all in one place so I can glean my own inspiration from your craftsmanship, execution and attention to detail.

Ok, so I've started an Instagram up: https://www.instagram.com/atomic_contraptions/. Will probably take a while to populate it, but hopefully have everything there in one place over the next few weeks!

I like your motto!

"Adventures in ridiculous transportation."
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'71 Honda 750K project.....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #963 on: October 31, 2018, 06:27:52 pm »
 It's like an Adventure in Phantasmagoric Transportation.,
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #964 on: November 02, 2018, 01:36:07 am »
its like an adventure in mobile copper scrap you can turn into beer!

Offline Bankerdanny

• Eventually I will be old enough in reality to be
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
« Reply #965 on: November 02, 2018, 09:12:03 am »

Awesome. I just added it to my followed accounts
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Current: '76 CB750F. Previous:  '75 CB550F, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000, '77 CB550k, '68 Suzuki K10 80, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, '89 Yamaha FJ1200

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #966 on: November 09, 2018, 02:27:47 am »
don't forget your helmet has to be like one of those 1930s flying to mars movies or some #$%*?it just wouldn't look right otherwise.

Offline Henry McCann

« Reply #967 on: November 29, 2018, 04:12:33 pm »
I know you're headed in a different direction now, and others really didn't like it, but it surprised me how much I liked the cream color on the bike.

Isabel and now Douglas put any other steam punk type motorcycles to shame. Superb work!

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #968 on: November 29, 2018, 04:45:18 pm »
Isabel and now Douglas put any other custom motorcycle to shame. Superb work!
FTFY  ;)

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Henry McCann

« Reply #969 on: December 01, 2018, 02:13:44 pm »
Thanks calj737!

Offline Noddy78

• Hot Shot
    • Atomic Contraptions
« Reply #970 on: December 02, 2018, 08:46:38 pm »
Heh, thanks guys! To be honest I really quite like the cream colour too, so it's not off the table yet. Otherwise no other major updates, got the cables all sorted, hopefully the electrics in the next few weeks, but still doing battle with the goddam motherf#$king tank...

Offline Noddy78

• Hot Shot
    • Atomic Contraptions
« Reply #971 on: January 13, 2019, 03:08:41 pm »
Hokey Doke. Been a long time between drinks, but I have actually been quite busy. All the control cables are made and actually work! And I'm on the home stretch on the wiring now (not that it looks like it):

But most of my time has been spent trying to make the f$#king petrol tank. Turns out my old MIG set up just wasn't up to the task (neither was I really) so I had to get myself a new TIG for Xmas. It's been a long process of trial and error but I'm slowly getting there (will post up the first attempt when I actually get the final one completed). Goddam sheet metal is a cantankerous beast though! But, think I'm making some headway:

Now I'm getting to the bit where it's all got to be stuck together... fingers crossed on that one...

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #972 on: January 13, 2019, 03:29:37 pm »
Looks nice. You did a nice job scooting around with your tacks. Where’s the finished welds before grinding them flat?  ;)

A little help for you with your new TIG: even when tacking, run Argon over the tack as a postflow for several seconds. It will keep the tacks shiny and clean, reduce the heat affected zone in the metal (haz) and reduce distortion in the metal. Those blue rings around each tack will go away with proper postflow. If you use larger than a #5 cup, use a gas lens. #5 or smaller, a standard collet body works perfectly.

Offline Noddy78

• Hot Shot
    • Atomic Contraptions
« Reply #973 on: January 13, 2019, 03:45:28 pm »
Where’s the finished welds before grinding them flat?  ;)

Haha.. no one wants to see those...

A little help for you with your new TIG: even when tacking, run Argon over the tack as a postflow for several seconds. It will keep the tacks shiny and clean, reduce the heat affected zone in the metal (haz) and reduce distortion in the metal. Those blue rings around each tack will go away with proper postflow. If you use larger than a #5 cup, use a gas lens. #5 or smaller, a standard collet body works perfectly.

Thanks Cal. I have got the postflow set at 2 seconds. Maybe I've got the wrong cup and collet set up? I'm using a #7 with the standard collet.

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #974 on: January 13, 2019, 04:15:35 pm »
For postflow, 1 second per 10 amps is optimum. The postflow does 2 things: cools the tungsten and protects the weld. If you find your tungsten turning dark grey or blue, it’s a surefire sign that you’re not running enough postflow. Argon is cheap compared to the expense of time and project outcome.

Yeah, ditch the collet body with your #7 and get a gas lens. The results will astound you.