Author Topic: When cam journals start failing, what eventually happens?  (Read 1300 times)

Offline Tugboat

• Puppet
  • Master
  • '75 CB750K + '67 CL90 + '71 CT90
    • PseudoMoto
When cam journals start failing, what eventually happens?
« on: May 02, 2014, 06:09:48 am »
You run a motor with bad cam journals and eventually......?????
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing twice.

Offline iron_worker

• Master
Re: When cam journals start failing, what eventually happens?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 08:44:46 am »
The excess oil clearance from worn journals won't allow the top end to properly build pressure which will actually affect pressure to the entire system (top and bottom end). The oil pump doesn't create pressure. The oil pump simply creates a certain flow that is proportional to engine speed and the tight clearances and passages within an engine that the oil must work it's way through create a resistance to the flow. This resistance to flow is what creates the engine oiling pressure. If you have one bad cam bearing then a lot of the flow will tend to go there since it is the path of least resistance ... and will begin to starve other parts of your engine.

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=52413.0

So essentially, if it gets bad enough you'll drop the entire system pressure and possibly damage your top and bottom end. You will also probably start sending a lot of metal particulate through your engine which will mostly be caught by the filter but not all and it also likes to block up oil pickup screens.

And also, your oil pump picks up all the junk that's in your oil *before* it's filtered ...

Sooooo.... if you know you have a worn cam bearing I wouldn't run it unless you're prepared to potentially cook the whole thing.

IW

« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 08:49:14 am by iron_worker »

Offline mcswny

• Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 08:47:21 am »
You run a motor with bad cam journals and eventually......?????

oof, you getting nervous about tomorrow?
1972 CB750 K2
1997 XR600r (street legal)
1975 XL250
198 XR80

Offline Tugboat

• Puppet
  • Master
    • PseudoMoto
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 10:17:04 am »
I am indeed. If it breaks, it breaks. I'm just trying to be safe you know?

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 10:37:19 am »
Never seen or heard of a wear failure. Or wear so bad it caused a failure, elsewhere, though anythings possible.

Usually they get starved for oil from debris lodged in the oiling jets. Then they wear a different way, get real hot and seize. Usually one side or the other, and the cam snaps in half. Really.

Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline mcswny

• Hot Shot
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 10:52:20 am »

regardless, let us know how it goes!
1972 CB750 K2
1997 XR600r (street legal)
1975 XL250
198 XR80

Offline dlhoulton

• Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 01:06:44 pm »
This is what could possibly happen:

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 01:23:22 pm »
DL: Did that happen from a slow deterioration of the journal with otherwise good oil supply and pressure, or was it a catstrophic failure from lack of oil?
Looks pretty dry.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline dlhoulton

• Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 02:11:13 pm »
My guess was from a lack of oil. When I took it apart I found out that the PO had put the cylinder gasket on wrong, blocking oil supply/return on 3 and 4. Which also caused wear to cam chain and guide.

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 02:22:59 pm »
My guess was from a lack of oil. When I took it apart I found out that the PO had put the cylinder gasket on wrong, blocking oil supply/return on 3 and 4. Which also caused wear to cam chain and guide.
That's what it looked like.

I should add to this conversation, and my remarks, that not only have I never seen one die (cam beariiings or otherwise) of natural causes, but rather oil starvation, the starvation has always been caused by someone rooting around in the engine, leaving behind a cause like your gasket, or silicone gasket sealer chipis breaking off and clogging the holes, etc.

I've never seen one die that hadn't been opened and tinkered with. OCICBW, but it would be a rare fluke.
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2014, 04:12:03 pm »
I recently had a 750f3 cam end up looking very similar to dhoulton's.  It was caused by a plugged oil jet,  so not any kind of normal wear, and failed completely in under an hour of run time.  Engine was stuck from sitting when I got it.  When it failed, the cam was bouncing around so much that it lost all valve clearance on two cylinders and had no compression.  Surprisingly, after resetting valve clearances, the engine started and ran good but made some VERY bad noises.  I will get pics uploaded soon.  They look very similar to dHoulton's.
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline thirsty 1

• Hot Shot
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2014, 04:40:08 pm »
This is what could possibly happen:

In full on surfer talk... Dude. that is gnarly.
73' CL125, 75' CB400F, 16' KTM 1190R, 05' KTM 525EXC

75' CB400F  -  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=127295.0

My 79 CB750F for fun   ----   http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=19923.0

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2014, 04:56:38 pm »
If the bearings are smooth, but loose, and the oil is coming, they run fine. At worst, a lateral vibration MIGHT happen at continuous high RPM, like racing, which accelerates the wear somewhat. But on the street, running at normal engine speeds, these engines run fine with up to .012" of clearance in these bearings, as they get a flood of oil pushed in from the bottom behind, and roll it up and over the top, to spread it out before it goes under load in the front-bottom of the rotation. I haven't seen any yet with more than .012" in a running engine, but since the design only requires the cam actually stay in place while it pours oil on top of it, it's not a very stressed system.  :D
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2014, 05:39:09 pm »
"In full on surfer talk... Dude. that is gnarly. "

True. Mine, (hapened to me) and 2 others I have seen were much less destructive. Other than discoloration of the parts from heat, all that could be seen was that the cam was sheared in half near the sprocket. Pretty clean break. Mine ran perfectly fine on 2 cylinders, sort of like one set of points was gone. But it was the wrong pair of cylinders.  And yes, I had been in it and used hardening silicone gasket sealer. Mea culpa.   :(
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline Tugboat

• Puppet
  • Master
    • PseudoMoto
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2014, 09:09:04 pm »
Awesome advice guys, and is why I posted this here. To be honest: this is our 76 XL250 that I'm talking about. If y'all don't know, I'm competing in an event to put as many miles on a bike whose total cost doesn't exceed $500, in 24 hours. 13 hours from now I'll be on it, buzzing down the highway at a respectable 60mph. Long saga, all thoroughly documented on the Other Bikes forum if ya wanna know more. Long story short: cams look pretty bad and the bits in my filter and condition of my oil indicates journal wear. Metal is non-ferrous. Full tuneup done, oil changes planned ~every 300mi, running 20/50. As it stands our plan is to just get into the power band in 5th gear (~60 mph, unsure of rpm no tach) and keep it there to hopefully reduce engine stress. Our goal is to just keep it running the whole time -we don't care about actual mileage or speed. What I'm wanting to avoid is any kind of catastrophic failure that would result in some sort of rear wheel lockup,thus this thread.

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2014, 09:12:24 pm »
the oil restrictors help maintain bottom end pressure,the pressure wont drop much if at all with worn cam bearings.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2014, 09:58:43 pm »
give it heck and don't think about it.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2014, 11:33:16 pm »
I don't think there is much chance of a rear wheel lockup.
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2014, 05:52:01 am »
Awesome advice guys, and is why I posted this here. To be honest: this is our 76 XL250 that I'm talking about. If y'all don't know, I'm competing in an event to put as many miles on a bike whose total cost doesn't exceed $500, in 24 hours. 13 hours from now I'll be on it, buzzing down the highway at a respectable 60mph. Long saga, all thoroughly documented on the Other Bikes forum if ya wanna know more. Long story short: cams look pretty bad and the bits in my filter and condition of my oil indicates journal wear. Metal is non-ferrous. Full tuneup done, oil changes planned ~every 300mi, running 20/50. As it stands our plan is to just get into the power band in 5th gear (~60 mph, unsure of rpm no tach) and keep it there to hopefully reduce engine stress. Our goal is to just keep it running the whole time -we don't care about actual mileage or speed. What I'm wanting to avoid is any kind of catastrophic failure that would result in some sort of rear wheel lockup,thus this thread.
What a great bike to do that on. Good luck.

IIRC the XL250 is a ball bearing crank and doesn't hold ANY oil pressure in the bottom end, contrast to the CB. Its all splash affair. The pump squirts oil to the top. Keep it clean and 20W-50 and you should be OK.  (Oh duh, I see that's the plan.)

Agreed, rear wheel lock up unlikely. Just be aware and keep 2 fingers on the clutch.
Ride Safe:
Ron