Author Topic: Alloy rims... Yes? No? Maybe?  (Read 16005 times)

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
Re: Alloy rims... Yes? No? Maybe?
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2014, 10:15:07 am »
The alloy wheels are 6 lbs! lighter for each wheel.
The stock CB750A came with them, and were very high quality name brand wheels.

Are you saying that the steel rims are 6 lbs. heavier than alloy rims ?
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2014, 01:28:42 am »
That doesn't sound right, the later all alloy Comstars were much lighter than the comstars with the steel "spokes", but a steel rim doesn't weigh 6 pounds more than an alloy rim. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2014, 02:51:30 am »
its why steel beer cans got phased out for aluminium ones,all us aussies got"beer can elbow"from repeditive lifting of the heavier cans!

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2014, 03:41:34 am »
Could also be why you've gone soft now, Dave? Or has it allowed to you lift twice as many since you no longer have to heave up the heavy old cans... ???
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2014, 03:43:20 am »
And steel cans are really hard to squash into your forehead when you empty them! ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2014, 03:49:27 am »
Could also be why you've gone soft now, Dave? Or has it allowed to you lift twice as many since you no longer have to heave up the heavy old cans... ???

I haven't gone soft now you poor excuse for lost sperm?i gave up crushing steel cans on my forehead terry when they started coming out the other side!

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2014, 04:52:06 am »
Soft or tough, at least you've not lost your fighting spirit. I don't think they're coming out the other sided, I think you're missing your forehead, dolt! It's a sobriety thing.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2014, 04:57:51 am »
Come on boys, play nice.... ;D ;)
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2014, 05:11:46 am »
It's a long distance arm wrestling match. Every time I think I have, he busts a move on me and come over the top. Dang, but he is slippery!

Must be that Aussie fuel that let's his engine run so lean and mean  :D

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2014, 05:24:07 am »
you spelled side wrong!you dolt!ha!#$%*en arm wrestle you boy!

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2014, 05:25:50 am »
See what I mean? It's like trying to arm wrestle an octopus. You have those in Oz, a Dave? I give up....

Where do I send the beer?

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2014, 05:29:47 am »
hey your cool calj737 ill buy you one!

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2014, 07:53:51 am »
its why steel beer cans got phased out for aluminium ones,all us aussies got"beer can elbow"from repeditive lifting of the heavier cans!

I never 'hoisted' a steel one but I imagine they'd make a better 'ring' sound when they finally hit pavement.

Offline bert96

• past ride
  • Expert
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2014, 03:19:26 pm »
Is there a place other than Buchanan if i want gold rims ....and may be cheaper...why not! :-)

Bert

Envoyé de mon XT1034 en utilisant Tapatalk

QA50 1969,ST-90 1974,mb5 1982,rz350 1983,shadow 1100 1985,vf1000f 1985,BMW K1 1990,shadow tourer 1100 2001,vfr 750 1994,vtr250 199?

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2014, 05:48:39 pm »
Buchanan's are good but I would also like to know if there are other rim or spoke places to purchase from.

Offline grumpy

• HUH?!?! ME!?!? I'm not a freakin
  • Expert
  • ..... '73 750K3 .....
« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2014, 06:01:51 pm »

I haven't gone soft now you poor excuse for lost sperm?i gave up crushing steel cans on my forehead terry when they started coming out the other side!

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAHAHA!! 

Offline grumpy

• HUH?!?! ME!?!? I'm not a freakin
  • Expert
  • ..... '73 750K3 .....
« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2014, 06:03:24 pm »
I'm gonna lace my own - worked in bicycle shops for 20 years.
I can literally build wheels with my eyes closed. Or drunk. Not both. 

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2014, 10:33:59 pm »
Buchanan's are good but I would also like to know if there are other rim or spoke places to purchase from.

I explored this a few years ago. After several successful wheel episodes using Bucky's I went off looking for someplace less expensive. I googled everything I could think of. Found a place in NJ that had a similar selection, slightly less $$. Ordered a rim and spokes. It came a few weeks later than expected. The return address on the box was...Bucky's in CA!  The spokes came in a bag, seperate shipment, with an insert, instructions, on Bucky's letterhead. So I figured I got it from Bucky's, with poorer service.

A followup call a few months later indicated the NJ outfit was out of business.

I found one other place, full service, in N CA. They catered to dirt bikes but said they could do my stuff also. But by then I didn't need them.

So, google away, and let us know what you find.   :D

I think they've got the market tied up. You'll find a better deal here and there for this or that. But for full service, full product line, I think they are it.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline mick7504

• Old Timer
« Reply #68 on: May 16, 2014, 11:28:45 pm »
I've just placed an order yesterday for a set of F&R S/S from Buchanans.
It's the way to go I reckon because they've been around since JC played full back for Jerusalem.

The other reason is that somewhere here is a new set of OEM spokes that seemed to have dissapeared right off of the planet.
As it always goes, buy another set and the other ones will show up.
Guaranteed.  ;D

If I was you
I'd be worried about me.

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2014, 06:47:13 am »

I explored this a few years ago. After several successful wheel episodes using Bucky's I went off looking for someplace less expensive. I googled everything I could think of. Found a place in NJ that had a similar selection, slightly less $$. Ordered a rim and spokes. It came a few weeks later than expected. The return address on the box was...Bucky's in CA!  The spokes came in a bag, seperate shipment, with an insert, instructions, on Bucky's letterhead. So I figured I got it from Bucky's, with poorer service.

A followup call a few months later indicated the NJ outfit was out of business.

I found one other place, full service, in N CA. They catered to dirt bikes but said they could do my stuff also. But by then I didn't need them.

So, google away, and let us know what you find.   :D

I think they've got the market tied up. You'll find a better deal here and there for this or that. But for full service, full product line, I think they are it.

I know shipping could be expensive,depending on the company but I imagine there are quality spoke makers in Europe who're established and we just don't know about them yet.
I ordered two sets of SS double butted bicycle spokes off of Ebay a couple years back from a spoke company (in Belgium I think) named Sapim;they've been solid stuff.I wonder if they make larger spokes also? if they do,I'll see if they have a low cost option like USPS over there.

Offline KJ790

• Enthusiast
« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2014, 07:05:17 am »

Try calling either KSR wheels or Dubya USA. You can also check with TCR (wheellacing.com), though their website appears to be under construction.
The most dangerous part of a motorcycle is the nut that connects the handlebars to the footpegs.

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2014, 07:51:54 am »

Try calling either KSR wheels or Dubya USA. You can also check with TCR (wheellacing.com), though their website appears to be under construction.

See #67 above. TCR was the place I had found in N CA years ago. Could be nice people, but not near the depth of services and inventory of Bucky's.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline KJ790

• Enthusiast
« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2014, 08:11:06 am »

See #67 above. TCR was the place I had found in N CA years ago. Could be nice people, but not near the depth of services and inventory of Bucky's.

Sorry, I didn't know who you were talking about in CA. There are many wheel shops around (TCR, KSR, Dubya, Pro Wheel, RAD Manufacturing, DNA, etc). I was merely giving more places to look at when it comes to buying rims and wheel parts.

If you are just looking for rims, Dubya may be a good option. They used to be White brothers, and for a while were the only US importer for Excel and Talon. It seems in recent years Excel has begun to deal directly with other US dealers instead of making them all go through one importer like in years past. Still worth a call to see what they have to offer.

There are plenty of places to get wheel parts from. I have built over 30 sets of wheels in the last 10 years for many different bikes (motocross, Harleys, XS650's, and CB750's) and I have only dealt with Buchanon one time.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 08:16:03 am by KJ790 »
The most dangerous part of a motorcycle is the nut that connects the handlebars to the footpegs.

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #73 on: May 17, 2014, 08:35:33 am »
Oh, no apology necessary. I just was surprised someone came up with the name. I probably have it bookmarked but couldn't remember the name.

They had a different website at the time, indicating more services and parts. Would've liked to use them had I not already sealed my deal.   ;D
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline GV1390

• Hot Shot
  • Express Gratitude.
« Reply #74 on: July 17, 2014, 07:01:39 am »
Bump.

I picked up another CB550 as a project, actually bought 3 of them as a package deal. Started the wheel research/shopping but quickly came to a stump. I REALLY like the wheels Carpy posted on his FB page on the brown CB550 he's building, I believe they are 18" DID chrome rims, stainless spokes with polished hubs. I'd more than likely go 18" as well front and back but want aluminum. Brand doesn't matter too much to me as long as they work and won't fall apart, haha. I'm going for that meaty 4.50 tire look as well.

Any suggestions on where I can get some? Sizing as far as width and any other wheel specific specs? I may swap the front end to a sport bike setup down the road so that should be considered as well. Thanks!
93' GSX-R1100, 78' CB550, 71' CL350, 71’ CB500 & 02' ZRX1200R.