Author Topic: Front End Out of Alignment...  (Read 1567 times)

Offline Hrvatski Medvjed

Front End Out of Alignment...
« on: May 07, 2014, 07:41:23 pm »
I recently installed tapered bearings on the front end of my 73 500k. I did a lot of other stuff too (not related to suspension or frame modifications) and am finally getting it out for initial test rides...well, the bike WILL NOT go down the road in a straight line. How can I troubleshoot this thing? It feels like the front end wants to wander all over the place. Kinda scary, really.

Any help is greatly appreciated...again.

Thanks!
"Two Possibilities Exist...Both are Equally Terrifying" - Arthur C. Clarke

Offline Tempast

Re: Front End Out of Alignment...
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 08:53:45 pm »
Bearings are probably too tight.

Nic

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 09:40:18 pm »
Yep, bearings too tight, I had the same problem with the tapered ones, in the end mine are a bee's dick tighter than hand tight.

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 10:48:34 pm »
Yep, the bearings should be "set" to 40 in-lbs, then backed off 1/4 turn, then snugged back down. After about 1000 miles, you will need to repeat, as the races will settle a bit into the steering head. Then it will stay in tune, for like 40k miles.
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline martin99

• UK Based, Non-
  • Master
  • Adventure before Dementia
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 11:20:39 pm »
Yep, the bearings should be "set" to 40 in-lbs, then backed off 1/4 turn, then snugged back down. After about 1000 miles, you will need to repeat, as the races will settle a bit into the steering head. Then it will stay in tune, for like 40k miles.

Is this with forks and wheel not fitted? Wouldn't the extra weight of the front end have an effect on torque values? And whether the front wheel is on the ground or off?

Genuine question, often wondered about this. When I adjust mine I have the wheel off the ground and tighten until I can turn the wheel lock to lock with slight resistance, but not too much to stop it 'falling' into full lock position under it's own weight. Bit of an experience thing I guess. Hope I've been doing it right all this time!
Build threads:
77 750F2 Refresh Project http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=144075.0
TRIBSA http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,160296.0.html

1977 CB750 F2
1958 Norton Model 99
2011 Triumph Street Triple 675

Offline Hrvatski Medvjed

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 04:14:49 am »
Thanks everyone. I definitely have them too tight. I'll loosen it up tonight and confirm that this was the issue.

One last thing - do I set the tightness with the bike/front end off the ground or with the rubber on the pavement? Do I need too loosen and of the fork tube bolts when adjusting?

Thanks again!

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 04:22:42 am »
If the head bearings adjustment does not fix it, loosen up the front fork and tighten it again. 

Top bracket, bottom bracket, wheel axle. I always tighten the axle first, bottom bracket second and the top bracket last since the top bracket is weakest.  Are your fork tubes straight?

Offline Vinhead1957

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 04:38:31 am »
Also make sure the fork tubes are at the same height in the clamps.

Offline Hrvatski Medvjed

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 09:36:21 am »
If the head bearings adjustment does not fix it, loosen up the front fork and tighten it again. 

Top bracket, bottom bracket, wheel axle. I always tighten the axle first, bottom bracket second and the top bracket last since the top bracket is weakest.  Are your fork tubes straight?

Thanks! Do I leave the wheels on the ground or jack it up?

Offline mcswny

• Hot Shot
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2014, 09:39:37 am »

Curious, is there a special torque wrench for a spanner to get it to 40 in-lbs, or is this just based off of years and years of "feel"?
1972 CB750 K2
1997 XR600r (street legal)
1975 XL250
198 XR80

Offline 70CB750

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2014, 09:43:07 am »
I leave the front wheel on the ground with the bike on centre stand.

Are you really bear from Croatia?

Offline Hrvatski Medvjed

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2014, 09:57:52 am »
I leave the front wheel on the ground with the bike on centre stand.

Are you really bear from Croatia?

Thank You.

yes. Croatian Bear.

Offline 70CB750

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2014, 09:58:59 am »
I am from Prague, similar language.

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2014, 11:18:21 am »

Curious, is there a special torque wrench for a spanner to get it to 40 in-lbs, or is this just based off of years and years of "feel"?

With all [new] tapered bearings, you can get very close with their "feel". As you tighten them, move them back & forth about 10-30 degrees, and there will be a point where they suddenly increase in friction. This is the torque where the sheet metal cage just distorted itself to align all the rollers it has, at once: then back off from this point, and then snug back down to where friction just starts again (on new ones). The first friction point is around 35-50 in-lbs for this "set", the latter is the point where the full length of the rollers just contacts the full face of the races.

After an initial run-in period (like on car wheels), the surfaces irregularities of the rollers and races wear away to smooth. This is when you should go back in and re-torque to the second torque, where drag can slightly be felt. If this is done correctly, the typical tapered bearing will last for thousands upon thousands of hours of movement. Since it takes about 1000 hours of run time to wear out a typical SOHC4 engine, the bearings will usually beat that.
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline mcswny

• Hot Shot
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2014, 11:57:09 am »

With all [new] tapered bearings, you can get very close with their "feel". As you tighten them, move them back & forth about 10-30 degrees, and there will be a point where they suddenly increase in friction. This is the torque where the sheet metal cage just distorted itself to align all the rollers it has, at once: then back off from this point, and then snug back down to where friction just starts again (on new ones). The first friction point is around 35-50 in-lbs for this "set", the latter is the point where the full length of the rollers just contacts the full face of the races.

After an initial run-in period (like on car wheels), the surfaces irregularities of the rollers and races wear away to smooth. This is when you should go back in and re-torque to the second torque, where drag can slightly be felt. If this is done correctly, the typical tapered bearing will last for thousands upon thousands of hours of movement. Since it takes about 1000 hours of run time to wear out a typical SOHC4 engine, the bearings will usually beat that.

Great, thanks Mark. I did as your book said over the winter. and retightened a few weeks ago. I'll probably triple check again this weekend.
1972 CB750 K2
1997 XR600r (street legal)
1975 XL250
198 XR80