Author Topic: Russ Collins Sr. R.I.P.  (Read 9803 times)

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
Re: Russ Collins Sr. R.I.P.
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2014, 07:43:27 am »
Sad news-the loss of a brilliant builder.  My sympathies and condolences to the family...Larry

Offline larry hayes

« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2014, 04:37:53 pm »
russ was one of the greatest Honda racers of all time rip

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2014, 06:08:02 pm »
I've been sitting on this post not knowing exactly what to say. I met him twice. First time I was with my boss, only a few years older than me, who had worked for RC. ca. 1971. Russ was on the floor of a new shop, painting the woodwork. When he finished a strip, he took us to dinner. It was a Denny's type of place. I was 18 and my only concern was that I got a free dinner. I didn't know.

Many years later I met him again at the Cinncy Dealer Show. Got an autographed photo. The ubiquitous one, cigar, white suit and medalion, holding a header. He was wearing the same get up. Medallion might have been a Kruggerand.

Man, this chokes me up.  My sympathies to all.
Ron
Fantastic Ron.....thanks for sharing. ;)
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2014, 06:55:20 pm »
I might be wrong about some of the details. It was the 70s after all. I do know that brush with fame is one of my most favorite memories.   :'(
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2014, 07:27:37 pm »
I might be wrong about some of the details. It was the 70s after all. I do know that brush with fame is one of my most favorite memories.   :'(
That's good enough for me. ;)

Offline sorcerer

• Hot Shot
« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2014, 07:27:46 pm »
http://www.nhra.com/blog/nhra-notebook/2014/05/13/nhra-motorcycle-pioneer-russ-collins-dies/

Well now we know how many grandchildren he had....you all know the rest. I was honored to be interviewed by Phil Burgess from National Dragster. All you drag racers know how hard it is to make it in that paper....I only have a half page and only because of my namesake...back in 93.

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2014, 07:51:14 pm »
http://www.nhra.com/blog/nhra-notebook/2014/05/13/nhra-motorcycle-pioneer-russ-collins-dies/

Well now we know how many grandchildren he had....you all know the rest. I was honored to be interviewed by Phil Burgess from National Dragster. All you drag racers know how hard it is to make it in that paper....I only have a half page and only because of my namesake...back in 93.
You father is legend....what will you say at his funeral? I have lost a parent very early....it doesn't matter how famous they were....they were still your mother or father. You will have to eulogize your dad...for better....or worse....that is what it comes down to. They all have things you are proud of...you being one of his shining moments I am sure....and than there are some other parts they are not.
  My personal reflection involved all the good deeds they left undone but that was 40 years ago. You should focus on the the things your dad provided to others....it seems to me that is what he always wanted. I sent my Hayabusa injectors to him 5 years ago for a clean....damn...I found that 6 HP that I lost!
 Mike Rieck
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 07:53:27 pm by MRieck »

Offline Bill/BentON Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ex Honda Service Manager, Cert. Honda Tech - Racer
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2014, 07:52:06 pm »
What can one say or write that does his legacy justice? I'm still numbed and shocked we lost him before he could see the bikes run again. But it helps knowing he knew they would. .....And they will! Cause Jr. And David got a handle on it. I just want to take this opportunity to say Team Sam Green /BentON Racing have dedicated this season to him and we will do our best to put one or more 750's in the Top Ten in Street ET. Calendar Girl's engine will remain the same RC836,pipe,etc. Samauto too has RC parts! Met Russ in Daytona in 76 or 77, after his 187mph get off, but before the Sorcerer ran. His rt arm/ hand was still a little tender, no nitro handshakes Bill!  ;D We talked 5-10 minutes about the crash, but mainly about the Sorcerer engines. Three men shaped the "Honda" motorcycle world for me, Mr. Sochiro Honda, Hideo"Pops"Yoshimura, and Russell W. Collins Sr. who really rocked my world! He was and will always be the "Man" !!!! R.IP. Russ, say hello to Elmer. 8) Bill
BentON Racing Website
OEM Parts | Service | Custom Builds
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2014, 02:34:03 am »
Posted by a friend on Facebook.

Russ Collins, showman, professional drag racer, and problem-solver, has died of cancer, aged 74. I phoned Collins’ former employee, Byron Hines, for some insight. Collins had hired Terry Vance as a rider, and Vance and Hines became friends and, later, business partners.
“You could write a whole book,” Hines began. “He was the pioneer of the Big Show. In the heyday of Leo Payne and T.C. Christenson, Russ came and upset the whole apple cart.”
Before Collins, motorcycle drag racing had been a modest affair—little more than a tuned Triumph or Harley-Davidson engine in a modified frame. His flair for the radical and unusual transformed the sport into a freestanding show all its own. Those were the days when truly, if a little was good and more was better, then too much was just enough.
With apparent ease, Collins put all the high-performance technologies—supercharging, fuel injection, and high-energy fuels—to work, putting down run after run that challenged everyone to come up to his level. He saw the potential of the Honda CB750, both in drag racing and as a market, hundreds of thousands strong, for high-performance parts. He built a series of ever-more radical and successful drag bikes, powered by one, two, and three CB750 engines. Beginning with a four-into-one exhaust pipe, he took his ideas beyond sport to create an industry.
“He was the go-to guy on hot-rod parts,” Hines said. “He knew a lot of people in the industry. He liked to say that he’d opened his business [RC Engineering] on April Fool’s Day, 1971.
“The thing was, when he went to match racing, he was the premier guy. Everyone knows that. If anyone doesn’t acknowledge that, it’s because they’d been overshadowed by him.”
Curiosity, imagination, and intelligence are powerful tools. In 1969, they sent Americans to the moon and returned them safely to earth. When Collins needed information on fuel injectors and their flow and pulse rates, no one seemed to know anything. He built a test rig and used it to rate every injector on the market, then went on to provide the injectors that the market didn’t even know it could sell. This was a man who had learned in the best way, by doing, as a natural experimentalist. Starting as a mechanic and body man, he learned basics skills, then took them to California where motorcycling was growing explosively.
“RC Engineering was a pretty good place to be in the ’70s,” Hines concluded. “We were just fortunate to have been in his wake.”

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2014, 04:55:15 am »
^^^Perfect Sam^^^
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2014, 04:58:42 am »
^^^Perfect Sam^^^

Agree, that is exceptionally well written...Larry

Offline bear

• Vale Bill McIntosh ......"illegitimi non carborundum"
  • Old Timer
  • Leeton in Australia
« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2014, 06:11:17 pm »
Although I live on the other side of the world and I have no connection to drag racing.
I have been touched by Russ Collins.
I was but one of many thousands of young blokes striving to go that little bit quicker, dig out that extra couple of horse power, gain that extra tenth of a second.
Russ Collins engineering genius and business acumen gave us the tools to achieve our goals and dreams.
He has left a truly great legacy.
My prayers and thoughts go out to his family.

Brian Williams, 
The older I get the faster I was.

Offline sorcerer

• Hot Shot
« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2014, 07:44:57 pm »
Posted by a friend on Facebook.

Russ Collins, showman, professional drag racer, and problem-solver, has died of cancer, aged 74. I phoned Collins’ former employee, Byron Hines, for some insight. Collins had hired Terry Vance as a rider, and Vance and Hines became friends and, later, business partners.
“You could write a whole book,” Hines began. “He was the pioneer of the Big Show. In the heyday of Leo Payne and T.C. Christenson, Russ came and upset the whole apple cart.”
Before Collins, motorcycle drag racing had been a modest affair—little more than a tuned Triumph or Harley-Davidson engine in a modified frame. His flair for the radical and unusual transformed the sport into a freestanding show all its own. Those were the days when truly, if a little was good and more was better, then too much was just enough.
With apparent ease, Collins put all the high-performance technologies—supercharging, fuel injection, and high-energy fuels—to work, putting down run after run that challenged everyone to come up to his level. He saw the potential of the Honda CB750, both in drag racing and as a market, hundreds of thousands strong, for high-performance parts. He built a series of ever-more radical and successful drag bikes, powered by one, two, and three CB750 engines. Beginning with a four-into-one exhaust pipe, he took his ideas beyond sport to create an industry.
“He was the go-to guy on hot-rod parts,” Hines said. “He knew a lot of people in the industry. He liked to say that he’d opened his business [RC Engineering] on April Fool’s Day, 1971.
“The thing was, when he went to match racing, he was the premier guy. Everyone knows that. If anyone doesn’t acknowledge that, it’s because they’d been overshadowed by him.”
Curiosity, imagination, and intelligence are powerful tools. In 1969, they sent Americans to the moon and returned them safely to earth. When Collins needed information on fuel injectors and their flow and pulse rates, no one seemed to know anything. He built a test rig and used it to rate every injector on the market, then went on to provide the injectors that the market didn’t even know it could sell. This was a man who had learned in the best way, by doing, as a natural experimentalist. Starting as a mechanic and body man, he learned basics skills, then took them to California where motorcycling was growing explosively.
“RC Engineering was a pretty good place to be in the ’70s,” Hines concluded. “We were just fortunate to have been in his wake.”

Sam. ;)
Sam....this text is being printed as a poster for our shop...it brought me to my knees...and was so needed by our family...from this source. Byron was a very special part of RC Engineering and my Dad never, never stopped talking positively about him. What a team.

Tomorrow morning I'm going to have breakfast with his TF Car crew....and you can imagine that discussion. He probably had more runs in the car than on all of his TF bikes combined....Did that guy do nitro right or what?

Jr.

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2014, 08:44:32 pm »
 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2014, 03:35:56 pm »
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline sorcerer

• Hot Shot
« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2014, 08:19:07 pm »
RC Legacy Motorsports, sponsor CP Pistons, donated generously to Wounded Warriors today in Russ Collins name. More great people , like all of you here

If they do not already exist...I am going to setup some form of "Best Engineered Award" and fly back east and give that to someone every year for the rest of my life...in my Dad's name. Any input....which series (maybe several)....which event? etc...would be very helpful. I may get my sponsors involved as well...Jay would go for this sort of thing for sure. And yes, I do need an APE banner (or two).

• Really Old Timer ...
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #66 on: May 20, 2014, 04:49:30 am »
Awesome, Top Fuel, Man Cup comes to mind! Would add to any series! K. Bill
BentON Racing Website
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.

Offline FuZZie

• Expert
  • If I is expert, I can has cheezburger?
« Reply #67 on: May 20, 2014, 12:09:19 pm »
I'd Think, keep it to his roots. Drag bike and best of something.  I also think you should honor what your doing a bit too. Maybe something in vintage bikes, so what your doing with RC Legacy Motorsports and your dads toys are tied in. ;)

Show up, setup a little booth and display your dads toys then give away a trophy. Same time everyone gets to learn and see a little of what your dad was all about.

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #68 on: May 20, 2014, 12:23:17 pm »
I like Doug's (Fuzzie) idea and think the Man Cup would be best as Bill says.
I'm not sure about limiting it to top fuel though, normally there are only a few bikes in it and they are all at the top of their game.
Perhaps award it to any bike with a custom built chassis and body, just my two pence/cents. ;D

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

• Really Old Timer ...
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #69 on: May 20, 2014, 02:09:24 pm »
If its awards plural then one for old school 750's or Honda SOHC 750 69-78 engine in whatever!
23tbucket's V8 engine is deserving of an award, someone smarter than me attach a link!  ;D 8) Bill
BentON Racing Website
BentON Racing Facebook

Offline sorcerer

• Hot Shot
« Reply #70 on: May 22, 2014, 06:36:57 pm »
I want to thank Sam Green for his generous donation To Wounded Warriors in my Dad's name. Very nice my friend.

My family is finally talking about memorial services...it has been tough. My Dad was cremated on Monday...now we have his remains, we are thinking clearly and will honor him in an appropriate way.

You will all be informed.

RC jr

Offline dusterdude

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #71 on: May 23, 2014, 11:17:13 am »
Good deal sam,proud of ya

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mark
1972 k1 750
1949 fl panhead
1 1/2 gl1100 goldwings
1998 cbr600 f3

Offline sorcerer

• Hot Shot
« Reply #72 on: June 20, 2014, 07:29:30 pm »
mcrider from right here at our hallowed ground.....donated generously to Wounded Warriors in My Dad's name.

Gotta  love them mid westerners...especially from Indiana.

Thank you Ron...our family appreciates your generosity.

RC Jr