Author Topic: eBay asking users to change passwords  (Read 3150 times)

Offline vames

• Expert
eBay asking users to change passwords
« on: May 21, 2014, 08:19:56 am »
This just out today......

eBay Inc. To Ask eBay Users To Change Passwords
May 21, 2014 09:09 AM Eastern Daylight Time

SAN JOSE, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--eBay Inc. (Nasdaq: EBAY) said beginning later today it will be asking eBay users to change their passwords because of a cyberattack that compromised a database containing encrypted passwords and other non-financial data. After conducting extensive tests on its networks, the company said it has no evidence of the compromise resulting in unauthorized activity for eBay users, and no evidence of any unauthorized access to financial or credit card information, which is stored separately in encrypted formats. However, changing passwords is a best practice and will help enhance security for eBay users.

Information security and customer data protection are of paramount importance to eBay Inc., and eBay regrets any inconvenience or concern that this password reset may cause our customers. We know our customers trust us with their information, and we take seriously our commitment to maintaining a safe, secure and trusted global marketplace.

Cyberattackers compromised a small number of employee log-in credentials, allowing unauthorized access to eBay's corporate network, the company said. Working with law enforcement and leading security experts, the company is aggressively investigating the matter and applying the best forensics tools and practices to protect customers.

The database, which was compromised between late February and early March, included eBay customers’ name, encrypted password, email address, physical address, phone number and date of birth. However, the database did not contain financial information or other confidential personal information. The company said that the compromised employee log-in credentials were first detected about two weeks ago. Extensive forensics subsequently identified the compromised eBay database, resulting in the company’s announcement today.

The company said it has seen no indication of increased fraudulent account activity on eBay. The company also said it has no evidence of unauthorized access or compromises to personal or financial information for PayPal users. PayPal data is stored separately on a secure network, and all PayPal financial information is encrypted.

Beginning later today, eBay users will be notified via email, site communications and other marketing channels to change their password. In addition to asking users to change their eBay password, the company said it also is encouraging any eBay user who utilized the same password on other sites to change those passwords, too. The same password should never be used across multiple sites or accounts.

About eBay Inc.

eBay Inc. (NASDAQ: EBAY) is a global commerce and payments leader, providing a robust platform where merchants of all sizes can compete and win. Founded in 1995 in San Jose, Calif., eBay Inc. connects millions of buyers and sellers and enabled $205 billion* of commerce volume in 2013. We do so through eBay, one of the world's largest online marketplaces, which allows users to buy and sell in nearly every country on earth; through PayPal, which enables individuals and businesses to securely, easily and quickly send and receive digital payments; and through eBay Enterprise, which enables omnichannel commerce, multichannel retailing and digital marketing for global enterprises in the U.S. and internationally. We also reach millions through specialized marketplaces such as StubHub, the world's largest ticket marketplace, and eBay classifieds sites, which together have a presence in more than 1,000 cities around the world. For more information about the company and its global portfolio of online brands, visit www.ebayinc.com.

* This adjusted number reflects decision to remove vehicles and real estate GMV from ongoing total GMV and ECV metrics (previously stated ECV for 2013 was $212 billion, incorporating vehicles and real estate GMV).

Contacts
eBay Inc.
Investor Relations Contact:
Tracey Ford
tford@ebay.com
Tom Hudson
thhudson@ebay.com
or
Media Relations Contact:
Amanda Miller
press@ebay.com
or
Investor Information Request:
408-376-7493
or
Company News:
http://www.ebayinc.com/news
or
Investor Relations website:
http://investor.ebayinc.com

Offline flybox1

• My wife thinks I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: eBay asking users to change passwords
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 12:57:15 pm »
Pissed that they waited 2 months to get this info out  >:(

PW changed.
'78 750K (F3 engine) PD42b's, Modified airbox w/K&N  filter, 40/110 jets, 1 needle shim, IMS@ 1 turn out. Kerker + Cone 18" QuietCore

Past Bikes
1974 550K0 (stock), 1973 CB350F (stock), 1983 Yamaha XS400K (POS)
77/78 cool 2 member #3
"Knowledge without mileage equals bullsh!t" - Henry Rollins

"This is my CB. There are many like it, but this one is mine…"

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 12:58:58 pm »
Pissed that they waited 2 months to get this info out  >:(

PW changed.

+1
We'll all be someone else's PO some day.

Offline Duke McDukiedook

• Space Force 6 Star General
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Wish? Did somebody say wish?
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 01:19:50 pm »
Changed.
"Well, Mr. Carpetbagger. We got somethin' in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."   Josey Wales

"It's Baltimore, gentlemen. The gods will not save you." Ervin Burrell

CB750 K3 crat | (2) 1986 VFR750F

Offline Roach Carver

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 01:31:07 pm »
changed mine too. I put an upper case 1 after it. That should fool them.

Offline Duke McDukiedook

• Space Force 6 Star General
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Wish? Did somebody say wish?
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 01:35:21 pm »

I one upped you, after 1234 I put in a 5.
"Well, Mr. Carpetbagger. We got somethin' in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."   Josey Wales

"It's Baltimore, gentlemen. The gods will not save you." Ervin Burrell

CB750 K3 crat | (2) 1986 VFR750F

Offline simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 01:38:41 pm »
yes changed mine , now all ive got to do is remember it .

the stollen passwords were all encrypted anyway so should be ok . its all the other stuff like email , date of birth location etc that wasn't .

Offline Roach Carver

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 01:39:37 pm »

I one upped you, after 1234 I put in a 5.

Genius!

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 12:45:19 pm »
I used "supercalifragilisticexpialidocious"with mixed upper/lower case,now even I cant log in!

Offline vfourfreak

• Do you think that's wise
  • Master
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 12:51:25 pm »
I used "supercalifragilisticexpialidocious"with mixed upper/lower case,now even I cant log in!

Good on ya Dave for even being able to spell that tongue twisting word !

Kev

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2014, 03:41:30 pm »
Nothing is perfect, and absolutely safe is a myth, but you might want to consider a password management tool,  there are several. I use 'lastpass'.
We'll all be someone else's PO some day.

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2014, 04:23:34 pm »
Nothing is perfect, and absolutely safe is a myth, but you might want to consider a password management tool,  there are several. I use 'lastpass'.

Changed mine, I have found the best way to make up passwords is to misspell words, all of mine are rated as strong... ;)
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline Roach Carver

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2014, 04:30:03 pm »
That's a gud idia.

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2014, 04:47:41 pm »
That's a gud idia.

Maybe we should bring back the sohc dickshunary for guidance

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2014, 05:22:46 pm »
That's a gud idia.

Maybe we should bring back the sohc dickshunary for guidance

;D ;D ;)
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline von_Wanderlust

• Enthusiast
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2014, 07:05:46 pm »
yes changed mine , now all ive got to do is remember it .

the stollen passwords were all encrypted anyway so should be ok . its all the other stuff like email , date of birth location etc that wasn't .

Since they have everyone's email address, if anyone receives an email from "eBay" asking to update your password, don't use the link in the email - it might be a link to a dodgy copy-cat site. Enter the ebay website into your location bar yourself to avoid this.

Also, re the encryption, no one knows how strong it is as they are using a "proprietary" algorithm to hash the passwords. A strong, peer-reviewed hashing algorithm that is well used in the community would have been better.
2.5 kids: 1 x CB500, 1 x CB550, 0.5 x CB550 (all basket cases)

Offline jerry h

• Hot Shot
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2014, 09:29:12 pm »
Hey Dave,
If you use a Capital "S" and add a number after, it would be a stronger password.   ;D
"It is not the critic who counts, the credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose hands are covered with grease and oil."

K2 http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,105097.0.html

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2014, 09:32:38 pm »
Antiestablishmentarianism1

ken65

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2014, 12:41:02 am »
Had to sign into my ebay acc but my password wouldnt work, went to change it and i had to sign in to my other email acc and couldnt remember that password, so i went to change that password and the new password came into my wifes email acc, shes at work i didnt even know what its called let alone the password,   so f@#k it, i just rejoined , now my score is 1 , down from around 1400.

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2014, 01:06:35 am »
just have a #$%*in beer and relax!unless you bought the beer on ebay?

ken65

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2014, 02:50:00 am »
thats exactly what im up to at the moment,  vb cans are $41.99 a box for 30 here at the moment, taste good if there cold.

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2014, 03:05:26 am »
VB= vomit bombs man!and a cracking headache!gotta be full of toxic #$%*?might open one of my 500ml home brew beer cans as we speak?those tooheys I keep for peasant visitors.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 03:08:59 am by dave500 »

Offline von_Wanderlust

• Enthusiast
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2014, 04:25:21 am »
I don't mind New to be honest, probably since grandad always drank it. But then again peasant would probably be a suitable categorisation. Although I call it Nippon New now that the ownership changed.

But I didn't know you can load your own cans?? I've been trying to get my sisters to hold on to their Rekorderlig 500ml bottles. Haven't made any homebrew in a while, really need to pull the finger out and get a few batches done while the temperature is mild.
2.5 kids: 1 x CB500, 1 x CB550, 0.5 x CB550 (all basket cases)

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2014, 04:36:31 am »
For some reason all of my passwords are alternated swear words, wonder what it says about me  :D

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2014, 04:56:45 am »
#$%* knows,id ask the #$%*s whats going on?tell em you don't #$%*in swear by the way,like listen hear #$%* or some #$%*?ive now changed my swearword to You#$%*inarsehole#$%*1